Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

The Sentimental World of Warcraft

BigTee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BigTee

I’ve been called a sentimental fool in my time, but you know what I don’t care. I recently returned to World of Warcraft after quite a long hiatus and upon returning I applied to the same guild I joined back in 2005.

My relationship with this guild has been up and down over the years however they graciously let me back in and I’ve been very grateful for a second chance because on Wednesday I was a part of the guild first Lich King 10 Man Kill.

Let me digress for a second, I know it was “only” 10 Man, that doesn’t really bother me at all. I know that it was “only” a boss kill – but for me, it signified another end of content boss. It signified a milestone in my long active raiding “career” (for lack of a better word, sure as hell feels like one sometimes!) and it brought about a great sense of accomplishment and pride because I was able to take part in a kill with players that I’ve raided with for the better part of 4 and a half years.

One such player, an undead priest of the discipline persuasion, has been a part of guild first kills with me since practically the beginning. From Ragnaros to Onyxia, Lady Vashj and Kaelthas to Illidan, Archimonde and Kel Thuzad, we’ve done it all (maybe not at the quickest pace) and finally we reached Arthas.

In a game that has made it easy to practically do anything its quite hard to find really rewarding achievements, this was one such achievement, one which had a four and a half year gestation you could say. At the start of the year I had given up on the game and had no intentions of going back, seeing Arthas was out of the question for me which was quite a bummer because I am a big fan of the lore and it was Warcraft 3 that got me into this MMO.. which subsequently changed my entire life… not sure if it was ultimately a good thing!

The question I pose to you, any of you who are strong willed enough to have made it through my trip down memory lane, is this: Do you have any favourite moments or sentimental moments that transcend the realms of the game? Or is it all just pixels and progression? (there’s nothing wrong with players who focus on that by the way).

Because for me (and I’d just like to say that I’m a well adjusted human being and not utterly insane about this game) killing the Lich King is hands down the most rewarding thing I’ve done in World of Warcraft, not because of the purples or achievements (mainly because he didn’t drop anything for me, the bastard!) but because of everything that lead up to the kill and the dedication shown to achieve it. J

BigTee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BigTee

I’ve been called a sentimental fool in my time, but you know what I don’t care. I recently returned to World of Warcraft after quite a long hiatus and upon returning I applied to the same guild I joined back in 2005.

My relationship with this guild has been up and down over the years however they graciously let me back in and I’ve been very grateful for a second chance because on Wednesday I was a part of the guild first Lich King 10 Man Kill.

Let me digress for a second, I know it was “only” 10 Man, that doesn’t really bother me at all. I know that it was “only” a boss kill – but for me, it signified another end of content boss. It signified a milestone in my long active raiding “career” (for lack of a better word, sure as hell feels like one sometimes!) and it brought about a great sense of accomplishment and pride because I was able to take part in a kill with players that I’ve raided with for the better part of 4 and a half years.

One such player, an undead priest of the discipline persuasion, has been a part of guild first kills with me since practically the beginning. From Ragnaros to Onyxia, Lady Vashj and Kaelthas to Illidan, Archimonde and Kel Thuzad, we’ve done it all (maybe not at the quickest pace) and finally we reached Arthas.

In a game that has made it easy to practically do anything its quite hard to find really rewarding achievements, this was one such achievement, one which had a four and a half year gestation you could say. At the start of the year I had given up on the game and had no intentions of going back, seeing Arthas was out of the question for me which was quite a bummer because I am a big fan of the lore and it was Warcraft 3 that got me into this MMO.. which subsequently changed my entire life… not sure if it was ultimately a good thing!

The question I pose to you, any of you who are strong willed enough to have made it through my trip down memory lane, is this: Do you have any favourite moments or sentimental moments that transcend the realms of the game? Or is it all just pixels and progression? (there’s nothing wrong with players who focus on that by the way).

Because for me (and I’d just like to say that I’m a well adjusted human being and not utterly insane about this game) killing the Lich King is hands down the most rewarding thing I’ve done in World of Warcraft, not because of the purples or achievements (mainly because he didn’t drop anything for me, the bastard!) but because of everything that lead up to the kill and the dedication shown to achieve it. J

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

Basically the same thing as your Lich King kill except with Kael'thas. 

MF'er was rough and had been kicking our asses for quite a while. Didn't get any loot either but it was awesome. One of the few times I have screamed WOOOOOOOOOOOO while playing a video game.

6ZZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By 6ZZA

i did my first dungeon today. it felt like jesus

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ChristianCastillo
    @6ZZA said:
    " i did my first dungeon today. it felt like jesus "
    it felt like jesus? wtf lol
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By borodin

I think my all time favourite memory is when two friends and I used to *swim*, because the mobs on land would easily kill us, (I THINK we were about level 15) from Grom Gol in  Stranglethorn Vale, along the coast up to a pier in Westfall, inland through Elwynn Forest until we reached our destination of Lakeshire.  

We used to gank the absolute ever loving piss out of people until ridiculous hours of the morning.  My favourite was when we annoyed enough people that they grouped together to clear us out so they could level in peace, but both sides ended up calling in higher and higher level friends to help us out that it ended in a fairly large-scale rumble with each side on one bank of the bridge in Lakeshire.  

I mean that damn swim would take about half an hour real time where we'd just be shooting the breeze but the whole thing ended up feeling like more of an adventure than most of the dungeons in that game.  Good times!

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By fwylo

When I first started playing the game I had always wanted to be a rogue.  I had hit level 30ish with about 4 rogues and then quit the game for a few years.  Eventually got back in to it a couple years ago and decided to try a different class for once.  I rolled priest and got her to 80.  But being up there with a class I didn't love wasn't doing it for me.  I re-rolled every class in the game, even got a pally to 75 but still nothing was cutting it for me.  Finally, about 3 months ago I decided I'm making a Rogue and sticking it out to 80 I don't give a fuck how I feel half way through.  

I hit 80 about a month ago and it was such a great feeling.  Not a boss kill, but knowing I set a goal and reached it was a awesome.  Now I'm pushing up my gear score so I can go see the Lich King as well.  I love hitting up the dungeon finder because I'm the only rogue ever around.  I feel Bad Ass as fuck.  Sitting in Dalaran looking at the 80 rogues run by I used to be so jealous.  I walk around like a king...queen I should say. 

Check me out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.