The spam from phishers is getting annoying.

#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Does anybody know a way to stop it? This is what my inbox looks like every day, and yes, every page looks the same. That's 285 emails. All of those have come within the past 3-4 days. 
 

#2 Posted by Khann (2793 posts) -

Wow... I've gotten a few over the last couple of weeks (4-5 maybe) but that's just... wow.

#3 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@Khann said:
" Wow... I've gotten a few over the last couple of weeks (4-5 maybe) but that's just... wow. "
More like, that's just WoW, amirite?
#4 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I've never gotten that many spam mails in my life! I think 100's maybe but that's about it o.O  
What I do to not get a lot of spam? 
I stop posting my email on every fucking sites that has it as an optional thing in the "contact info" page.  
Seriousle, once you put your email down (in many cases, the email you use to log in to MSN) you're getting spammed a lot. 
Kinda like how some idiots on here are actually using their emails as a user name.  
Yeah, I've posted their emails to email-wanting-spamsites =D  
 
Stop posting your emails all over the damn internet, it's that simple.

#5 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Why don't you just unsubscribe? 

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because  
 
1. I enjoy the game. 
2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails 
#7 Posted by Fallen189 (4944 posts) -

Same. I dont even play WoW anymore, but yesterday, chinese electric batmans jacked my battle.net and hotmail. 
 
Its a fucking nightmare

#8 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list....
#9 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

That is one formidable raid they's planned against you.

#10 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

Report them as spam? I don't really know more to do then that. Man if that was happening to me I'd be going apeshit. 

#11 Edited by oatz (1103 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
Yes, why doesn't he unsubscribe from the spammers' mailing lists.  
 
Think about that one, long and hard. 
 
  

 
Acquire Gmail, disregard spam.
#12 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

This even happens to me, and I never bought a world of warcraft game before in my life. I guess they think SC2 users play wow too xD

#13 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Wow, thats ridiculous.
#14 Posted by Elbon (368 posts) -

Advice set up a spam email account and have all the real message from bizzard auto forwarded to your email

#15 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
Yes, why doesn't he unsubscribe from the spammers' mailing lists.   Think about that one, long and hard.     Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
Think about it yourself. The "spammer" is Blizzard, so why wouldn't he be able to unsubscribe? 
#16 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
Yes, why doesn't he unsubscribe from the spammers' mailing lists.   Think about that one, long and hard.     Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
Think about it yourself. The "spammer" is Blizzard, so why wouldn't he be able to unsubscribe?  "
It looks like Blizzard, that's true.  
But I guess there's a lot of dumb URLs he needs to click in the email that leads to some fake world of warcraft site. 
 
Man if people go by the names of the "person" who sent the email alone then we're all fucked. 
#17 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
Yes, why doesn't he unsubscribe from the spammers' mailing lists.   Think about that one, long and hard.     Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
Think about it yourself. The "spammer" is Blizzard, so why wouldn't he be able to unsubscribe?  "
 
 
#18 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -
@Enigma777: Its not Blizzard. Its websites with names that are very similar hoping people wont notice the difference and try to log on using the link in the mail.
#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
Yes, why doesn't he unsubscribe from the spammers' mailing lists.   Think about that one, long and hard.     Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
Think about it yourself. The "spammer" is Blizzard, so why wouldn't he be able to unsubscribe?  "
You can't be serious...
#20 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

Don't it up guys, he's be trollin'

#21 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@endless_void said:
" Don't it up guys, he's be trollin' "
What?
#22 Edited by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

I didn't see the phishers in the title. I thought you were just complaining about spam from publishers.  
 
Looks like you're using hotmail, so select all the messages and mark them as phishing scam

#23 Posted by Zealousadonis (133 posts) -

I get a bunch of these e-mails on my old hotmail account and I've never played WoW before. The only reason I can think of them showing up is from playing some Diablo II like 8 months ago. Just glad it's my old e-mail.

#24 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
"Looks like you're using hotmail, so select all the messages and mark them as phishing scam "
Failing that you can block specific @[insertdomainhere].coms in your security settings somewhere so that they all go directly to your trash.
#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
" @Enigma777 said:
"Looks like you're using hotmail, so select all the messages and mark them as phishing scam "
Failing that you can block specific @[insertdomainhere].coms in your security settings somewhere so that they all go directly to your trash. "
I would block them, but they all come from different emails. I've blocked a lot of them.
#26 Posted by fox01313 (5064 posts) -
@CL60:
If you go to the blizzard website it's got a list of the official emails coming from them, all the rest that pop up are obvious fakes & be sure to look at the destination of any html links in those emails as they often say one thing & go somewhere else.  
 
Easy way to get away from all this spam that I found was to get an authenticator from Blizz, should show up in the mail in less than a week. Once you have the possibility of someone hacking your account is drastically reduced down as your account is tied to that authenticator serial#/readout.  Then once you have that any email about account changes can be pretty much ignored.
#27 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
Yes, why doesn't he unsubscribe from the spammers' mailing lists.   Think about that one, long and hard.     Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
Think about it yourself. The "spammer" is Blizzard, so why wouldn't he be able to unsubscribe?  "
Oh boy someone needs to read up on internet security.

To the OP... try to get rid of that account if you can, link all the stuff you actually use to a new gmail account.
#28 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@fox01313 said:
" @CL60: If you go to the blizzard website it's got a list of the official emails coming from them, all the rest that pop up are obvious fakes & be sure to look at the destination of any html links in those emails as they often say one thing & go somewhere else.   Easy way to get away from all this spam that I found was to get an authenticator from Blizz, should show up in the mail in less than a week. Once you have the possibility of someone hacking your account is drastically reduced down as your account is tied to that authenticator serial#/readout.  Then once you have that any email about account changes can be pretty much ignored. "
I have no problem with finding out whats real, and I do have an authenticator. Getting 300 emails every 3 days from fake blizzard is just annoying.
#29 Posted by EuanDewar (4789 posts) -

Wow, I have never experienced anything like that. I've only got one over the past few months, but your inbox. Fuck man.
#30 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -
@oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters.
#31 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Yep, this happens every day to me, 5 to 15 messages.
 
I quit WoW, but it doesn't seem to help ^^

#32 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own.
#33 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
I just made a 3rd gmail account last night, no phone needed there. 
They change their stuff fast!
#34 Posted by Galiant (2181 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
A phone? That's weird...I don't remember anything about that. I've had my Gmail account for a long time though, and rarely does anything get through. I'd definitely recommend getting it if you can.
#35 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Galiant said:
" @CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
A phone? That's weird...I don't remember anything about that. I've had my Gmail account for a long time though, and rarely does anything get through. I'd definitely recommend getting it if you can. "
@ZeForgotten said:
" @CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
I just made a 3rd gmail account last night, no phone needed there. They change their stuff fast! "
Gmail is telling me I need to verify with a phone. 
#36 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Galiant said:
" @CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
A phone? That's weird...I don't remember anything about that. I've had my Gmail account for a long time though, and rarely does anything get through. I'd definitely recommend getting it if you can. "
@ZeForgotten said:
" @CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
I just made a 3rd gmail account last night, no phone needed there. They change their stuff fast! "
Gmail is telling me I need to verify with a phone.  "
Oh!  YOU mean GeeMail.  Yeah, that's a scam site set to get your phone number  so they can acquire your personal information.  Jeez CL60, do you find the scams or do the scams find you? 
 
In all seriousness, it appears that some IP addresses are blacklisted because of previous scamming attempts, thus you're needed to verify.  Sorry about your luck.
#37 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Rockdalf said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Galiant said:
" @CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
A phone? That's weird...I don't remember anything about that. I've had my Gmail account for a long time though, and rarely does anything get through. I'd definitely recommend getting it if you can. "
@ZeForgotten said:
" @CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
I just made a 3rd gmail account last night, no phone needed there. They change their stuff fast! "
Gmail is telling me I need to verify with a phone.  "
Oh!  YOU mean GeeMail.  Yeah, that's a scam site set to get your phone number  so they can acquire your personal information.  Jeez CL60, do you find the scams or do the scams find you?  In all seriousness, it appears that some IP addresses are blacklisted because of previous scamming attempts, thus you're needed to verify.  Sorry about your luck. "
I managed to get one made. Apparently I had to log out of my google account.
#38 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

I get these too, but they goto my Junk folder so its not that big of a deal, still weird that everyone it getting it.

#39 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

Holy crap, how did this happen? I use Hotmail and a lot of online services, and the most I get is a few emails every week that drop straight into my junk folder.

Moderator
#40 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Galiant said:
" @CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
A phone? That's weird...I don't remember anything about that. I've had my Gmail account for a long time though, and rarely does anything get through. I'd definitely recommend getting it if you can. "
@ZeForgotten said:
" @CL60 said:
" @iWonder said:
" @oatz said:
" @Enigma777 said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Enigma777 said:
" Why don't you just unsubscribe?  "
Because   1. I enjoy the game. 2. Even when my subscription isn't active I still get the emails  "
I meant unsubscibe from their email list.... "
  Acquire Gmail, disregard spam. "
This. I've had my gmail for 2 years, only had ONE spam email actually get through. Pretty impressive spam filters. "
Just tried making a gmail account, and apparently I need a phone. Something I do not currently own. "
I just made a 3rd gmail account last night, no phone needed there. They change their stuff fast! "
Gmail is telling me I need to verify with a phone.  "
Could you just borrow the phone of a friend or would that work...?
#41 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11496 posts) -

For a second I thought you were talking about the spammers on this site. But then I saw that picture of your inbox and realized that you have a much worse problem.

#42 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

I get tons of WoW/Starcraft II-related spam, and it all goes straight to my Gmail spam folder :D

#43 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

use a different e-mail adress

#44 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
" use a different e-mail adress "
I made a Gmail account, I'm going to start using that.
#45 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

Dude, what the fuck is up with that? I've had an account for 4 years now, and I've never got one of these emails on my hotmail account. I think you just need to be careful what you use your email address for, I've only used mine for a few secure sites, whiskey and a few others. I've got a 2nd account I use for any questionable websites, just in case.

#46 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" Dude, what the fuck is up with that? I've had an account for 4 years now, and I've never got one of these emails on my hotmail account. I think you just need to be careful what you use your email address for, I've only used mine for a few secure sites, whiskey and a few others. I've got a 2nd account I use for any questionable websites, just in case. "
I also have a second account that I never even go on that I use for other sites. I rarely use this email. My other account has thousands of emails.
#47 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -
@Elbon said:
" Advice set up a spam email account and have all the real message from bizzard auto forwarded to your email "
i think that IS his spam account now, maybe he should just make a real email account and leave the spam for his old one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.