Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Thinking about playing WOW for the first time

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By luchadeer797

So I've played the trial a few times and really enjoyed it but I was wondering if I should get into WOW now and level up a ton and get sucked in or wait until Cataclysim (I know I killed the spelling of it) since its going to change a absolute shit ton of the game? 
    Also any other MMO's you'd reccomend instead?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bigandtasty

Since the game is going to be irreversibly changed (aside from private servers) after Cataclysm, you might as well see the world now, and decide if you like it. When Cataclysm rolls around, if you like the game, you can have a level 80 and maybe create an alternate character to level through the revamped content.

Don't listen to the inevitable replies of "don't play WoW it sucks and will take away your life." You're interested, so try it. Just be careful.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Three0neFive

Do it. There are a ton of beautiful areas in Azeroth, all of which will be lost once Cataclysm hits.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

Don't play Wow it sucks and will take away your life. ;)

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RoujinX

EVE Online is a better game in a lot of ways.

juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By juanvaldes

If you want to play do it now. They are finally going back with Cat and charing the  original zones as a part of the storyline. A large part of that impact will be knowing what things were like 'before'.

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

dont play eve unless you like running a fake company and hording intergalactic credits to purchase a ship to compete in the who has a bigger penis eeerrr ship tournaments.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aus_azn

I'm looking forward to Cataclysm. But I don't have the patience to wait. 

I'm sure Blizz will probably be running dual servers like they did for BC. Wait, they ran dual realms for those that didn't buy WotLK right? I forget.

TBORange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TBORange

Even if you don't buy cataclysm the zones will still be changed, cattyclsm only opens up the new areas, the level cap, new races and the level 80+ content, so even if you only buy vanilla wow, you can still experience the cataclyms world! (PS. It's a good game!)
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Jadeskye

great game, stole 4 years of my life from me. if you have an addictive personality i advise caution.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadeskye said:
    " great game, stole 4 years of my life from me. if you have an addictive personality i advise caution. "
    Ditto (except only 3 years).  It's definitely worth checking out if you enjoyed the trial, it only gets better after 20.

I would go ahead and start now so you can experience the original content before it's gone.  But as jadeskye said, be careful if you are easily addicted, and if you are, be ready to put loads of time in to the game.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

If you are going to get sucked into an MMO, you might as well play WoW.  You could just start playing right now because Cat. wont come out till the end of the year I bet.

SirThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By SirThomas

WoW is by no means bad. As others have said, it's a wonderful MMO to get into if the whole genre is fairly new to you. Not to discourage you or anything, but it's guaranteed to become stale for you once realize the game consists of a repetitive, perpetual cycle. That said, enjoy it until the whole newbie shock wears off.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alphiehyr

Quite an addicting game.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By sjschmidt93

No... you should experience the WoW now so you can actually feel something when the new WoW comes. 

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda
    @RiotBananas:  i did play wow for a bit. i cant really get into it as much as most of the games general audience tho. i managed to get my warrior up to level 30 or so but i just didnt find anything that compelled me to play any further tho. i just found it to be mostly grinding and dungeon crawls. overall tho its a good game with a great community. it still doesnt stand a chance against some of the old school mmos i used to play.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By toowalrus

Since you're avatar is Brutal Legend, I can tell you like quality games. You should totally play WoW. I've recently 'retired' until the next expansion, but I've leveled two characters to 80 with no regrets.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JoeyIA

Go for it, tons of people are playing it so you'll probably have lots of fun, the only problem is when you're spending $16 a month the play that one game you'll feel obligated to play it and you won't play anything else.
    chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chrissedoff

if you get it now you'll be able to say you leveled up a toon in the old-school wow

GOREFAST89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GOREFAST89
    @RoujinX said:
    "

EVE Online is a better game in a lot of ways.

"

yea i suppose it is, if you have always dreamed of being a CEO of a massive company or a stock broker or something.
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Th3_James

World of Wastecraft 

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By wunder_

In my opinion your best bet is to find a friend or a group of your buddies that are already knee-deep in end-game content. Have one of them Recruit-a-friend you and then digitally buy or get a retail version of WoW Battle Chest and Wrath of the Lich King. Get that said friend and convince him (or if he wants to level another toon) and not only do you blast through 1-60 because of the improvements Blizzard put in with getting up to date with end-game content, you're getting triple XP as well. I just restarted the other week and my buddy and I are already 50. Once you get to around 70 I think you'll hit a small wall, but by then you will hopefully have a group of friends that can help you out with instance grinding and other things like that.

Honestly, Cataclysm is going to be WoW 2.0. The least you should do, if you're thinking to get into WoW in Cataclysm anyways, is to experience specific zones that will see a huge change. Most of them may or may not end up being palette swaps and texture changes from the respective zones (Thousand Needles - Ashenvale) but it's still nice to be a part of something that you'll never experience. Like the opening of Ahn'Qiraj? That was awesome. A final note, if you're playing alone, which I don't recommend, you'll find it a lot harder to get into or get back into... I know I could never play WoW by myself, you really need the social interaction and pointless guild chats to keep you going on those pesky drop rate quests... Anyway, good luck!

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By luchadeer797

@Wunder_:
    one of my friends is a lvl 80 orc so i think ill do that, thanks

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By lazyturtle
    @JoeyIA said:
    " Go for it, tons of people are playing it so you'll probably have lots of fun, the only problem is when you're spending $16 a month the play that one game you'll feel obligated to play it and you won't play anything else. "
    QFT.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By animateria

Go horde... Alliance usually loses in BGs... At least on the server I'm on.

I'm debating whether or not I should jump back in when Cata hits... I have a level 80 pally but I don't want to tank no more. Maybe I'll roll ret and get into DPSing for once.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.