Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Thought of returning, then wised up!

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By metalmoog

Today I thought of firing up my old account again as the new expansion does look cool, and changes a ton about the game. Then I started the incredibly bloated and super huge install/patching process and dragged the folder into the trash. 

While the game itself is fun to play sometimes, the monthly subscription, lack of story driven gameplay and incredibly huge download/install sizes on my HDD put me off. Yep, I think I'm done with MMO's for good. I just don't see the advantages to paying $15 a month to play one game, when I can pay a fraction of that price for XBL and play any games I want. Games that are shorter, and require far less time and investment. 

Anyone else tempted to go back to WoW and wised up also?

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I have so far resisted the temptation to start but I might give a trial version a go just to see what all the fuss is about.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ninjakiller

I was just looking at my WoW boxes.  So far have resisted. 

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER
    @TheKeyboardDemon said:
    " I have so far resisted the temptation to start but I might give a trial version a go just to see what all the fuss is about. "
    Famous Last Words.  

There were a couple of times this past year where I was "inches" from buying and playing WoW. They were all friend related circumstances. They wanted me to cave and play WoW with them. But I held strong.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By melcene
    @MetalMoog said:
     I just don't see the advantages to paying $15 a month to play one game, when I can pay a fraction of that price for XBL and play any games I want. Games that are shorter, and require far less time and investment.   Anyone else tempted to go back to WoW and wised up also? "
    I see it the opposite way.  Rather than paying anywhere from $20 to $60 on a new game, many of which these days are completed in 8 hours or less of playtime, I pay $15 a month and can spend countless hours for it.  I only view WoW as requiring a time investment if you want to raid.   

So yeah... unfortunately, I was tempted to go back, and did return about 2 weeks ago.
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gizmo

It's your loss, what other game lets you play as a fucking Moonkin?

Avatar image for deactivated-5eedc15bc689f
    deactivated-5eedc15bc689f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have been so tempted of late myself, I look over at my shelf with the vanilla box and the expansions sitting there and keep thinking that it needs that new one to keep them company.  

Problem is, I never did anything in Wrath, I believe I hit level 71 or 72 and quit. The past two times I resubscribed I spent about four hours total and found myself bored again, none of my friends play any more and scrub pubs were never my bag. I am a solo gamer for the most part, but WoW is a beast that almost requires a couple companions.  

I know I will eventually crack, if only to see what has changed, but for now I think the giant stack of PS3/360 and Steam games I have bought in the past month or so will keep me away. The only upside to launching myself back at WoW again is how much money I save from buying other games while I am engrossed in it, but for now that needled is going to stay far from my arm.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By melcene
    @Murtaug: Sad isn't it?  I knew that we'd get Cata even if we didn't start playing again at the moment, because we'd go back at some point.  We have at least half a dozen MMOs that we return to every couple years or so.  Also, WoW is MUCH MUCH more solo friendly now, FYI :)
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By metalmoog
    @melcene: 
     Yeah if you enjoy WoW to the point of total fulfilment and have no desire to play other games, it is a great deal. I just find the grind is extremely repetitive and boring and need to get out of Azaroth and play some other types of games. I guess XBL serves my A.D.D. gamer personality more. I can't stick with the same game and invest 100+ hours, never have been able to with any game.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By melcene
    @MetalMoog: Excellent point.  I know what you mean because my husband is kinda like that.  Ticks me off personally cause just as I start getting into a game, he's ready to move on to the next.   Or he'll play 3 or 4 games at once.  I can't do that.  I can barely do 1 pc game and 1 console game at once.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By csl316

my buddies have been trying to get me back for years.  years!  but luckily i'm immune to peer pressure.

think for yourself, kids!

Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tarakun

It's that time of year where everyone who knows I used to play wants me to come back. Meanwhile, all my friends who don't play currently will lose their shit if I went back. So far, I'm trying to resist. 

Damnit, Guild Wars 2 better hurry up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eedc15bc689f
    deactivated-5eedc15bc689f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@melcene: Don't tell me that. Tell me it is so solo unfriendly and that no one wants to be my friend ever. I am about six months sober from WoW and at this point and disposition in my life I think I would find myself back to those eight hours sessions.  

*shudder*  

I have over forty days of play time into that game, at least from what I remember last time I was subscribed and /played. FORTY DAYS! I know that is nothing compared to some people, but hot damn, it makes me a little sick inside when the addiction is not crowding out rational thought.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By melcene
    @Murtaug: lol I understand... I have over 100 days /played on one toon alone.  Though that toon was created at release 6 years ago.   Seriously though, I think they've made it better not just for soloing, but for not necessarily being a time sink.  From my experience over the last week, I know that I can come home from work, do something else for a while, cook and eat dinner, then play WoW for about an hour, and I'll actually accomplish something, probably get a level on a lower toon. 

But no!  It's totally solo unfriendly and no one wants to be your friend ever!  You don't want to go back and watch people in Trade talking about [The Beast Within] in bed, or Anal [Sin and Punishment].  And of course the normal calling of asshats and douchebags.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zeforgotten

I've been playing since the start of this month. 
    Easier to justify when I'm not the one paying

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hunkulese
    @MetalMoog said:
    " Today I thought of firing up my old account again as the new expansion does look cool, and changes a ton about the game. Then I started the incredibly bloated and super huge install/patching process and dragged the folder into the trash.   While the game itself is fun to play sometimes, the monthly subscription, lack of story driven gameplay and incredibly huge download/install sizes on my HDD put me off. Yep, I think I'm done with MMO's for good. I just don't see the advantages to paying $15 a month to play one game, when I can pay a fraction of that price for XBL and play any games I want. Games that are shorter, and require far less time and investment.   Anyone else tempted to go back to WoW and wised up also? "
    There's more story in WoW than any other game but it doesn't beat you over the head with it. Take the time to read the quest text. 
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By uniform

I picked up the collector's edition and have yet to even unwrap it. I just set it next to the other three collector's edition boxes. I must say they make pretty nice looking collector's edition boxes, much like the LoTR trilogy on DVD. It's strange, as I have no desire to play it. I've been away from the game for close to a year now and am unsure as to the situation regarding guild, friends, familiar characters etc. I think a big part of the draw of WoW is the community factor. Being unsure where I would fit in with the possible changes, I've lost the sense of community I once had and came to realize I could be playing solo. The idea of playing a community game like World of Warcraft as loner does not sound the least bit appealing.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Barrock
    @uniform said:
    " I picked up the collector's edition and have yet to even unwrap it. I just set it next to the other three collector's edition boxes. I must say they make pretty nice looking collector's edition boxes, much like the LoTR trilogy on DVD. It's strange, as I have no desire to play it. I've been away from the game for close to a year now and am unsure as to the situation regarding guild, friends, familiar characters etc. I think a big part of the draw of WoW is the community factor. Being unsure where I would fit in with the possible changes, I've lost the sense of community I once had and came to realize I could be playing solo. The idea of playing a community game like World of Warcraft as loner does not sound the least bit appealing. "
    I'm actually the same way. I used to play with the 1up guild but a lot of the members have left. Thinking about rolling a character on the GiantBomb server. I recommend you give it a shot anyway. The solo quest content is absolutely amazing. 
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm playing WoW at the moment but the size it's taking up on my machine is frustrating me.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By wunder_

I wish I could jump right in - I'm currently in between countries and haven't established a stable internet connection... I managed to wrangle my brother into Cata by enticing him with the $5 WoW/BC deal and I think he picked up the entire WoW set for under 60 bucks. Waiting to get in with Recruit-a-Friend and just plow through the new 1-60 content.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By beej

God am I ever tempted, in 2 days I'll be done with this term and I'll have almost a month of free time. Fuck if wasting it all trying out the new 1-60 content doesn't sound awesome.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By MrMuscle

I actually save money when I play WoW. Usually i get anywhere from 1-4 new games a month but when i play WoW i only play WoW.
    Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rehehelly
    @MrMuscle said:
    " I actually save money when I play WoW. Usually i get anywhere from 1-4 new games a month but when i play WoW i only play WoW. "
    Kind of this.  
    Last time I played WoW (last april to august?) I wasn't buying xbox games but rather just paying £10 a month subscription. Single player xbox games don't have that kind of replayability. 

HOWEVER. I AM RESISTING. I shall not give in although flying in azeroth sounds like <3 and all the new quests baaaah. NO. I CAN'T. 
    lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By lazyturtle

I like the open-endedness of WoW. I've been out for around a year, but I think I'm going to start playing in the next few weeks. I can't say I'll buy Cata yet..I'm going to start a fresh toon.

atombrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By atombrain

I just don't know how people have the time to play that game, I had to sacrifice a lot of sleep to participate in raids just to for the hope of getting a slightly better item. Especially with having a girlfriend around, they aren't very accepting of ignoring them for 4 or more hours on a Saturday night. on the weekdays I'd come home at 5pm eat dinner then raid from 8pm to 2 am then work at 7am. Not to mention having to gather tons of materials for potions on the side. At a certain point I had to reevaluate my life and what I was doing to myself. I had a lot of fun playing for 2 years but then I crashed on it. I would log in, hate everything in need to prepare for a raid, and log off in disgust.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.