Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Tips for a new WOW player

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

I've been playing the WOW trial and have decided to purchase the game, just the original game not the expansions yet. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any tips for a noob going into WOW and really my first MMO ever. Also I've already decided to be a Night Elf hunter because they look cool and it said its easier to solo play:)

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BionicMonster

Hunters are alot of fun,My main is a hunter.

there isnt really anything that should be hard for a beginner to grasp from the first few hours of play

just go at your own pace and enjoy the game

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DCFGS3

If you've reached a dead point, where you simply can't go any further without lots of grinding, switch areas, go to a new place. This usually happens in the second area where you hit a rut, and are too weak to fight the next level of enemies, but grinding would take ages. In this case go to either Westfall, Loch Modan, or the Drainai equivalent.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

There is nothing to really tell you, just go with the flow really. You will pick up the game easily. 

But one thing as a hunter - Never use melee, your DPS will drop a fuck load.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eclipsesis

Give up now, just stop, stop i tell you!

I was a Blood elf, ret paladin, called her Ardjet. Eventually i lost interest though and just stopped playing. 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1
    @eclipsesis: lol Thats what a lot of people are telling me but for me its on sale at my local Best Buy for $10 and you get a free month when you start so if I get bored after a month I'll just stop
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eclipsesis
    @RE_Player92:

I guess you can't complain with that deal, 

Here's a tip for the beginner in you, never get your dead body stuck within a group of Mobs 

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#8  Edited By Kidavenger

Pick two gathering professions (skinning,mining,herbalism) when you hit your first town, these will make you money (sell what you gather on the auction house) while the crafting ones will cost you money; you don't want to be that guy sitting around begging for gold.

Don't buy anything from the auction house: if you are doing quests and running dungeons, you won't need to buy anything and the rate you level up in this game, it just isn't worth it. 

Find a good guild early, check the official forums, check wowprogress.com, see where you want to be and try to get in there early, a good guild can help you learn the ins and outs of the game before you pick up bad habits and it's nice to have people talking about stuff when you are out in the middle of nowhere killing boars.  

Addons and macros, learn what you can about this stuff once you get familiar with the game, they are both invaluable, your guild should be able to help you with this.

If you aren't playing with friends, make sure you are on a good server before you invest alot of time; when you login to the game, check the server browser you want to be on one that is consisently medium or high during your regular play time, recommended / low / full all have their own problems and are best avoided.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Gmanall

Just grind...keep grinding...best way to play WOW.  

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By zyn
    @Kidavenger said:
    "Addons and macros, learn what you can about this stuff once you get familiar with the game, they are both invaluable, your guild should be able to help you with this."
    This is IMPORTANT!  Add-ons are key to helping you quest better, sell crap faster, make combat easier, customising your UI (if you want) and more!  I don't know what are the best add-ons today, but hopefully a current, experienced WoW player can tell you.  I didn't use a lot of macros but they too are helpful.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

Spec BeastMastery (BM) = autopilot until the level cap
    BM is incredibly newbie friendly, you can easily solo elites.
    If you find yourself getting bored while leveling go play some PvP for a change of pace and run dungeons.
    Addons: I would suggest starting very slowly. Play the game without addons for a bit, once you start getting comfortable you can start getting addons
    Everything Kidavenger has said as well.
    A lot of the WoW population has been around for a long time so you may need a thick skin. Don't be a noob, if you do not know things ask about them inteligently, only bad players do not want to learn or are too afraid to ask about stuff, you seem to be on the right track already anyway :)
    Most servers have "leveling" guilds, which are for popel who are not yet at level cap that contain both old and new players, I recomend asking around the server to find one and joining it untill you learn the ropes.

Be warned hunter is a very very easy class to pick up, to the point of being boring, like I said BM is pretty much autopilot. But it is a hard class to master at the endgame especially in PvP. Too many hunters stay at mediocre level and are easy kills for others. Hence the expression Huntard a degradatory term for 90% of hunters. Being a pro huner is an art.
    A problem for you is that it is hard for a new player to reach max level in one month unless you play all the time. Unfortunately most of WoW playerbase is at max level so areas before endgame might seem empty. What i'm also trying to say is that WoW 1-79 is not the same game almost as WoW at lvl 80, so you cannot really say whether or not you will like it long term from 1 month of play.

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThePencil

GHET OUT WHILE J00 STILL KHAAAAAAAAAANN!!

Seriously though: loot everything, kill everything, defend Ironforge from the Horde/raid Ironforge with the Horde, have a laugh, grab some addons from Curse.com (i endorse Titan Bar) and did I mention to kill everything?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar

heres a tip for a new player: dont play wow

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

get a bear or a boar for early leveling, bears can do some aoe tanking if need be and a boar will have a charge and do some decent amount of dps.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo

Get a time machine and travel back in time to 2004-2007 when the game was still good. Can you do that?

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Burns098356GX

spend your money wisely, i found the hardest part about starting the game was finding money and being able to manage it. Don't buy a new piece of armor every time you level.

I also recommend rolling as a Paladin. Right now there the most diverse class in the game. And there pretty quick to level once you hit about level 30.

Also check out http://elitistjerks.com/ in the forum section on how to properly play the classes.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Burns098356GX said:
    Also check out http://elitistjerks.com/ in the forum section on how to properly play the classes. "
    I would not recommend Elitist Jerks for new players. They are good for experienced players looking for the extra edge and perfecting their gear/play depending on current patch iteration.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By 71Ranchero

The best tips you can get is to avoid most of the advice people will give you. You dont need addons, you never have to grind ever if you dont want too, and dont bother going to websites that try to tell you how to play your class. Have fun how you want too and then if you feel you want more then dive into other things.  

Also despite all the negative things people will say the game is still allot of fun and will be for a long time. Fine a good guild, WoW is the most fun when you can be social. 

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @Burns098356GX said:
    Also check out http://elitistjerks.com/ in the forum section on how to properly play the classes. "
    I would not recommend Elitist Jerks for new players. They are good for experienced players looking for the extra edge and perfecting their gear/play depending on current patch iteration. "
    Good point. I just thought about that, and it can be confusing to understand everything there saying.
    Try using the WOW.com class forums.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RE_Player1
    @zyn: Do most add ons work for mac seeing as I'm playing on my iMac?
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Burns098356GX

They should. We had a healer in our guild who was on a Mac and all the guy talked about was addons.

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShadowofIntent

1. Play Horde.
    2. Don't ask for handouts or you  will be flamed.
    3. Avoid trade chat if you are sensitive to any of the following: racial jokes, religious arguments, assholes, anal [spam], and/or guild recruitment spammers

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dipstick

Get in a guild/play with friends

It makes a WORLD (ha) of difference. Playing alone is probably the worst way to experience world of warcraft.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By cap123

Make some friends, otherwise you'll lose interest. I was in a guild and it was great while it lasted, but as people became less active it became a pointless grind.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Nasos100

yea if you have friends that play that would make your experience with the game better. Apart from that, DONT listen to all these haters saying WoW was good back in .........
    NO. Now its 10 more times the fun. Why? You can now level up by doing pvp. Also with a new dungeon system the wait time changed from 10 -50 mins to 20-60 seconds so now is the best time to get to the game if you ask me.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By belaraphon

try not to become too discouraged if things go south.  and if people start giving you a hard time about something just remember that the internet is full of doucebags and most of them play games as well.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By LiquidPrince

Run.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ninjakiller

Here's my tip: Quit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
    deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never go Night Elf

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Expert Tip: STOP PLAYING WoW, IT WILL EAT YOU ALIVE

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.