WoW Goes F2P up to Level 20

• 51 results
#1 Posted by mracoon (4948 posts) -

So that's something.

I always thought Blizzard would make the F2P eventually after releasing Titan but it seems like they've accelerated the process as subscriptions fell after Cataclysm.

You still have to purchase the game if you want to play but if you re-activate a vanilla WoW account you get Burning Crusade for free.

So is this enough for you to check out WoW if you haven't done so already? Personally, I've never played the game and paying a subscription is a big part of it. I feel like the ship has sailed for me at least and I don't really want to get into it this late in the game.

#2 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

A bunch of people PvP at 20 and stay there, I'm actually kind of surprised they did this.

#3 Posted by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

Neat. Might give it a shot now.

#4 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -

A lot of games are going F2P lately.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -

Rad, I guess. Though I've found lately that it's just as free to not play WoW.

#6 Posted by mracoon (4948 posts) -

I mean if you were looking for a F2P MMO then WoW is a pretty good one to go with. It still has that price barrier to entry which stops people who don't like MMOs and the FB game players from checking it out.

#7 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

Hm, Cattackalsym is like $20 today on Amazon, but I don't want to go back!

#8 Posted by alternate (2679 posts) -

With the new easy leveling that is what - a nights play? ;-)

#9 Posted by OtakuGamer (1223 posts) -

Cool, It's a start at least.

#10 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

At this point in time it is beyond too late for me to get into the game 

it has millions of hardcore veteran players and has evolved and changed so much since day 1.. the WOW train has passed those who didn't get aboard it IMO

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (35835 posts) -

That's kind of lame. It's not free to play if it's up to a certain point; that's called a trial.

#12 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

So weird. I'm puzzled by the people who were not trying WoW or TF2 because of the cost. I just can't wrap my head around it.

#13 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Kinda too late for me to get into WoW, but I might give it a shot and take a look at if I get bored enough.

#14 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

So weird. I'm puzzled by the people who were not trying WoW or TF2 because of the cost. I just can't wrap my head around it.

WoW is expensive for just a single game.

#15 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
That's kind of lame. It's not free to play if it's up to a certain point; that's called a trial.
Isn't that kind of how all F2P games are though?

I mean you can't even get hats in F2P TF2, and that's like half the game.
#16 Posted by mracoon (4948 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai: I will give something I have no interest in a chance if it costs me nothing. If I don't have to make an investment to try it then I don't lose anything if I don't like it.

#17 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

@emergency said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

No it isn't. It's crazy cheap.

Also, it's seven bloody years old. Who the hell is going to start now?

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (35835 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish

But you don't need to subscribe to Team Fortress 2 to get the hats. Free to play means that the game is free, but certain items in it cost money. World of Warcraft doesn't really fit that definition.
#19 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

Yea that won't save that game. People are leaving in droves. I played cata for a few months and it is dead to me now lol.

#20 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@emergency said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

No. The game is dear, trust me brah'. Your argument will probably revolve around the fact that you get several years out of it or some crap. But those several years like £8 x the amount of months. Not to mention new expansions cost like £20. Someone picking it up now would still need to buy BC, Wrath and Cata. Those would set you back £30-35. Then the monthly fee. At the end of the days it is just one game.

#21 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

If anyone's wanted to get into WoW, they'd probably have taken the plunge by now. I doubt the game will earn many new subscribers from this.

#22 Posted by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@emergency said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

15 bucks a month on top of an initial purchase is indeed not "crazy cheap".

#23 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

The graphics that WoW has are so extremely old, even for an MMO. I tried to play a bit recently and just couldn't do it.

#24 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Wait, so does that mean that my account with a few 80+s and an 85 can play free but only play level 20 or less/make new characters?  Or do I need to make a new account?

#25 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

@emergency said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@emergency said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

No. The game is dear, trust me brah'. Your argument will probably revolve around the fact that you get several years out of it or some crap. But those several years like £8 x the amount of months. Not to mention new expansions cost like £20. Someone picking it up now would still need to buy BC, Wrath and Cata. Those would set you back £30-35. Then the monthly fee. At the end of the days it is just one game.

My argument is not of its longevity, but of the fact that it's a discounted game with discounted expansion packs and a monthly fee that does not equate to the amount of gameplay derived from it.

It's extremely cheap. And, old. That's why this seems silly. I know it will work, I'm just saying I find it weird.

#26 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@emergency said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@emergency said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

My argument is not of its longevity, but of the fact that it's a discounted game with discounted expansion packs and a monthly fee that does not equate to the amount of gameplay derived from it.

It's extremely cheap. And, old. That's why this seems silly. I know it will work, I'm just saying I find it weird.

I think some people just don't like having basically a rent-a-game. I mean, like you have to pay to play. Some people live more casual lifestyles, once you pay to play you want to make the best use of it and it can lead to just spending all day on it. So like I can see what you mean, but also I can see from a perspective that someone who wants to buy a game and then play it and always have it. You always kinda have WoW but you still got to pay to play regardless. I just think theres a type of person out there that doesn't like that kind of system, that are put off by it.

#27 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I might try it again but after playing the trial for a bit, I still don't get the appeal of MMOs.

#28 Posted by Sharpshooter (883 posts) -

Tempting.

#29 Posted by niamahai (1404 posts) -

the 7 day free trial you can get on the site was also cap @ level20.

but you can't use the AH, chat on the general channel, can't use mail etc

so i guess this F2P is basically an endless trial.

#30 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

The world is coming to an end!!!

#31 Posted by ElBarto (272 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
A bunch of people PvP at 20 and stay there, I'm actually kind of surprised they did this.
No they don't. They cap themselves at level 19 because the brackets work from 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, etc. The only problem is its really not that fun to do level 19 pvp if you don't have anyway to fund your character for the proper gear/enchants. So you just get raped over and over. Even before BoA items my 19 warrior twink could one shot some people.
#32 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

So if I already have an account, can I still play a character up to level 20 without paying a monthly fee? I haven't played for close to a year, but was thinking about giving it a try again.

#33 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:

I might try it again but after playing the trial for a bit, I still don't get the appeal of MMOs.

The actual world of Warcraft is largely empty now, there was a time when you used to get bustling questing areas and world PvP. Alas, now all there is to do is raid and hang around Stormwind.
#34 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
These accounts are limited and cannot trade and wont have the support of a main character. Trying to PvP with these accounts at that level would be disasterous.
#35 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

@mracoon said:

@Rolyatkcinmai: I will give something I have no interest in a chance if it costs me nothing. If I don't have to make an investment to try it then I don't lose anything if I don't like it.

A wise philosophy and I can more than sympathise.

However, doesn't the F2P WoW still have all the same restrictions on trade/chat channels that their 10 day free pass did? That's the only thing keeping me from taking the plunge.

#36 Edited by PenguinDust (12441 posts) -
Age of Conan went F2P this past week, too.  I think I'm going to try that instead.  I've been all around pre-Cataclysm Azeroth (multiple times) and I am really looking to try something new.   Following my disappointment with Forsaken Worlds, when I heard this news I was tempted to jump into WOW since I know it to be a good game, but I am still wanting to experience more that I haven't and so I'm planning on taking a trip around all the other F2Ps before returning to somewhere partially familiar.  Besides, maybe by then TOR, TERA or GW2 will be out.
#37 Posted by Marokai (2790 posts) -

What's kept me out of WoW actually hasn't been the subscription or how old the game is or anything like that, it's the fact that, I would have to purchase so much before even factoring in subscriptions. If I'm going to seriously give it a shot then I want to be able to be on the same playing field as everyone else, but that basically means I'm going to be spending like, 120 dollars before even factoring in subscriptions just to buy the game and all the goddamn expansions, when I may not even like it anyway. It's kind of ironic that the dominant MMO of the era has actually built up quite a barrier to entry over time.

#38 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:
The graphics that WoW has are so extremely old, even for an MMO. I tried to play a bit recently and just couldn't do it.
you heard it here first: graphics make a game
#39 Posted by Tabarnaco (134 posts) -

I tried to add my (free) character in the achievements page but it says the character doesn't exist, what do.

#40 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Trebz said:
If anyone's wanted to get into WoW, they'd probably have taken the plunge by now. I doubt the game will earn many new subscribers from this.
DIdnt they lose people after the recent expansion? 
#41 Posted by Loose (419 posts) -
@emergency said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

The kind of people who play WoW tend not to spend much money/time on a lot of other games.
#42 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@Trebz said:
Yeah, but that's mainly (according to Blizzard) due to players getting bored with the game and moving on, rather than the expansion ruining anything. I'm saying that WoW hit its peak and now we'll probably see a very gradual decline simply because almost everyone who ever wanted to try the game has by now.
#43 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@Aronman789 said:

Old yes, but smooth, clear and pretty nice. If you couldn't do it because of the graphics then all hope is lost. That's a ridiculous reason.

The best reason for hating on WoW is because it favours bad players and Blizzard nerf content constantly instead of training their players to be better by leaving content at a moderately difficult level. They only have themselves to blame for the sense of entitlement and poor skills most of the players have.

So much for Cataclysm being more hardcore, Blizzard.
#44 Posted by onarum (1994 posts) -
@mracoon said:

So is this enough for you to check out WoW if you haven't done so already?

Nope.
#45 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
@Tabarnaco said:
I tried to add my (free) character in the achievements page but it says the character doesn't exist, what do.

After a certain amount of time, the Armory no longer shows data for characters that are inactive.  I've been inactive for 6 months and my guys don't show data anymore.  They still show in the listings, but you can't get more info.
#46 Posted by LiquidPrince (15834 posts) -

Cool, twenty levels I'll still never play.

#47 Edited by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

It is basically just the Trial except they removed the time limit on it, which means you can't talk in public channels, nor can you trade you can't really do anything except level.

So calling it free to play is a bit silly.

#48 Posted by ajamafalous (11813 posts) -

@Prodstep said:

It is basically just the Trial except they removed the time limit on it, which means you can't talk in public channels, nor can you trade you can't really do anything except level.

So calling it free to play is a bit silly.

Those are the same restrictions that the free version of Global Agenda has (except you can hit the max level, just no AH or mail or trading or anything).

#49 Posted by FateOfNever (1809 posts) -
@Trebz said:
@The_Laughing_Man said:
@Trebz said:
Yeah, but that's mainly (according to Blizzard) due to players getting bored with the game and moving on, rather than the expansion ruining anything. I'm saying that WoW hit its peak and now we'll probably see a very gradual decline simply because almost everyone who ever wanted to try the game has by now.
That's the way I've always seen it.  I mean, you pretty much have a large group of people that have, for the most part, been playing the same game for what is anywhere from one to six years now.  Even for an addictive game, there is only a small group of people that can keep playing (or afford to keep playing) the same game for that long.  Part of the problem with Cataclysm is you had a bunch of people that were just getting burned out on the game as was, and were expecting Cata to somehow change that fact, which is mostly just too high of an expectation. 
#50 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2305 posts) -

The free trial was already quite enough to demonstrate how goddamn boring it is to play solo, so I'm good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.