WoW Novels and Lore...

#1 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

I want to get into reading WoW stuff. I know some of the story stuff from Warcraft 1-3, and I've played WoW casually since launch, so I know the broad strokes. But where do I start with Warcraft books? Does a certain book come before others? Which is the best book? Will I be lost?

#2 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

MAny of the books fill the lore between expansions, for instance "rise of Arthas" is the pre-wrath book where as "Beyond the Dark Portal" does the same for Burning crusade, there are also series which cover the back stories of many of the Alliance and Horde champions. Lord of the Clans is a book about Thrall, you can read them in any order you like to be honest, if you played wow you should have a basic idea of the mythology and the books will just fit around that.

If you feel like reading some of the books start with day of the Dragon and move onto the War of the ancients trilogy, its all Cata stuff but its well reviewed.

#3 Posted by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

I don't read all the WoW books, I specifically look out for books by Christie Golden. She wrote Lord of the Clans, Rise of the Horde, Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, The Shattering, Thrall: Twilight of Aspects and Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (they're listed in sequence if I'm not mistaken). I've read up until the Shattering, so far I'm loving her books. She seems to have a lot of knowledge on the WoW lore, and fleshes out characters quite well.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -
@MegaLombax

I don't read all the WoW books, I specifically look out for books by Christie Golden. She wrote Lord of the Clans, Rise of the Horde, Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, The Shattering, Thrall: Twilight of Aspects and Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (they're listed in sequence if I'm not mistaken). I've read up until the Shattering, so far I'm loving her books. She seems to have a lot of knowledge on the WoW lore, and fleshes out characters quite well.

What he said. Christie Golden's books are by far the best. Focus on them.
#5 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

As others have said, Christie Golden's books are very good. If you're still playing now, I'd suggest reading her last 4:

- Arthas: Rise of the Lich King - I suppose this is the least useful to you as you've got knowledge of the RTS games and thus probably know the story of Arthas' downfall, but it's a really interesting book that delves into Arthas' character a bit more.

- The Shattering - The Pre-cataclysm book. Really helps set up where certain characters are just before the events of cataclysm begins, and explains several of the changes to the world and certain events (like the state of the Tauren now) that take place before Deathwing's arrival.

- Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects - This is basically a precursor to the Hour of Twilight dungeons and the Dragon Soul raid, so it might not necessarily be important to you now Mists of Pandaria is out, but it's still very good and delves a little more into the Dragon Aspects.

- Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War - The most recent, it covers the destruction of Theramore and the growing Horde-Alliance conflict just before the Mists parted to reveal Pandaria. Does a way better job of actually telling you what happened at Theramore than the in-game scenario does.

There as a book between the Thrall and Jaina books, Wolfheart by Richard A Knaak, which by the sounds of it, deals with the Worgen, but I've not read it.

#6 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4606 posts) -

@Sarnecki:

Stolen list of books in chronological order from the Blizzard forums:

Rise of the Horde (book) - Covers approx. a 10 year period prior to WC I.

The Last Guardian (book) - Touches on the closing days of the First War with bookends set prior to WC III.

Tides of Darkness (book) - Covers WC II in continuity.

Beyond the Dark Portal (book) - Covers WC II expansion in continuity.

Day of the Dragon (book) - Wraps up some dangling threads from WC II with Deathwing and the Red Dragonflight.

Lord of the Clans (book) - Covers a wide swath from just before WC II all the way to prior to WC III. Should be subtitled All You Wanted to Know About Thrall But Were Too Much of An Alliance Lover to Ask. ;) J/k.

Of Blood and Honor (book) - Set just prior to WC III.

Warcraft III Battle Chest (game) - Reign of Chaos covers the origin of the Scourge and the return of the Burning Legion. The Frozen Throne covers the exile of Illidun, the rise of the Forsaken and the crowning of a new Lich King. Founding of Durotar covers the most recent conflict between Horde and humans prior to WoW.

Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (book) - Recaps material from Tides of Darkness all the way up until the end of Frozen Throne with bookends just before the WotLK cinematic.

Ashbringer (comic) - Covers the fallout from Arthas dissolving the Order of the Silver Hand and the rise of Argent Dawn and Crimson Crusade.

Cycle of Hatred (book) - Picks up after Founding of Durotar and begins to set the stage for WoW Vanilla.

Well of Eternity (book) - Try and follow: characters from current Azeroth are sent back to the War of the Ancients 10,000 years before by the Bronze Dragonflight to make sure what was supposed to happen happens.

Demon Soul (book) - See above.

The Sundering (book) - See above.

Warcraft: The Sunwell Trilogy (manga) - This is just before WoW vanilla since some Horde holdings (Tauren Mill) are still Alliance held. Sets up Kalygos and his motivations mostly.

Warcraft Legends Vol. 1-5 (manga) - These are all over the place, but primarily just before WoW Vanilla with some flashback stuff.

The Dragons of Outland (manga) - Trilogy set between Vanilla and TBC. Running a bit late, second volume should be out next year.

World of Warcraft Books 1-4 (comics) - Set between TBC and WotLK, covers a lot of plot spillover. Ever why the Missing Diplomat questchain ends so quickly in Thereamore? The answer is here.

Death Knight (manga) - Set before and during WotLK. Sets up Thassarian.

Mage (manga) - Set before WotLK. Sets up why Dalaran is a floating city over Northrend.

Night of the Dragon (book) - Set before WotLK, deals with some stuff spilling out of TBC, especially dealing with Kalygos and the two new dragonflights in Outland.

Stormrage (book) Set after WotLK. Sets up Malfurian Stormrage and Tyrande and the status of the Emerald Dream corruption.

Shaman (manga) - Set between WotLK and Cata.

The Shattering (book) - Covers all the details between WotLK and Cata that were going on while we were doing the pre-launch events.

As others have said, Christie Golden is fantastic. Which characters interest you? I started with Arthas: Rise of the Lich King after seeing his stuff and Northrend and kind of got addicted to the books, so pick one with the character you like the most?

#7 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4247 posts) -

This reminds me of that time I spent way too much time reading WoWWiki. Man.

Man.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I second The Shattering and Arthas. Especially The Shattering is a great read.

#9 Posted by farmer100eagle (5 posts) -

Embarrasing. I thought #1 said" I've played WoW casually since lunch". LOL. http://www.farmer100.com

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.