Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

WoW players: Is it still fun?

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By aceedkins

I haven't played since i hit 80 10 months ago, but I'm itching to get back in. How is the game? Are you guys still enjoying it, post-wrath?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

It's an MMO.  Nobody really has "fun", they just think they do.  er, well maybe on my first character I had fun, but I know that if you quit, and then you want to go back thinking it will be like old times again, it won't, and you'll just end up quitting for the same reason you quit before.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Famov

I have it on good authority that the Death Knight class is really fun.

I cannot give any personal anecdotes because I quit back when the level cap was 60. I'd imagine though that the game will still be fun if you are into the raid atmosphere. I was not, so the game stopped being for me once I hit my level cap. 

giantbomb has a lot of WoW haters though, what's up with that?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ninjakiller

Wow's not a game, it's a job.

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By klownboots
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " It's an MMO.  Nobody really has "fun", they just think they do.  "
    Lol, I do understand what you mean. It might be how I tend to play MMOs but I feel I have more fun interacting with friends than actually enjoying the game play. To that end, yea WoW is fun, but personally everytime I get back to it I quit it shortly afterwards. This is mainly due to the fact that once I get past the social aspect of the game I feel the actual game play (the real meat of the game) to be watered down and tiresome.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zeforgotten

I like it. 
    But then again I can just go back to it whenever I want. 
    It's not like I spent weeks on that game or something. There are far better games out there. 
    But since I don't have Warcraft 3 (I know, it's sad) I have to play something that reminds me of it. And the graphics for wow does 100%.. Same engine and all. 

And another cool thing about WoW is that I'm not paying for it. 
    A buddy of mine is, since I convinced him to do so and that "I will play with him when I have time" .. which I only have like 5 times each month for 2 hours each run.. so yeah :D

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Burns098356GX

After playing since about 4 months after launch, I quit back in the summer. I just got bored of it. Every game has repetitive elements, but pressing the same 4 buttons in a row for 4 years just got old. They tried adding some new things in, like mounted/vehicle fights, but they were pretty weak.  The duel spec thing they came out with this year was pretty slick, gave some variety to people who otherwise would have been pigeon holed doing 1 thing (tank, healer)
    I think the only thing that kept me going as long as I did was my guild, which I was in since almost the time i started playing. I've raided a fair share, switched mains, but always remained a tank. I might go back someday, who knows.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

I dunno about "still" because I've only started playing WOW.  But, yeah, I can understand how people can get burnt on extended periods of WoW. Basically I'm hooked on WOW, because of the high I get when I pick up some epic loot. So mainly it's a materialistic thing, constantly improving and tweaking how my character plays and looks. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust
    @ninjakiller said:
    " Wow's not a game, it's a job. "
    Hear, hear.  I quit at 80, too because it was too much like work.  An oppressive daily grind of things to do and tasks to be completed in preparation for weekly raids.  I can't see it being entertaining again until the expansion drops next year.  If you've hit 80 already, you've seen most of the content to this point unless you want to do the heavy raids.  My suggestion is to lay off until Cataclysm.
    Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eurobum
    @CommodoreGroovy said:

"Basically I'm hooked on WOW, because of the high I get when I pick up some epic loot. So mainly it's a materialistic thing, constantly improving and tweaking how my character plays and looks.  "

The virtual world materialist ... is that a paradox or an oxymoron, I couldn't tell at first. An oxymoron must be a contradiction and hence cannot exist in RL, a paradox is something that exists and only seems contradictory.  Virtual reality is listed in Wikipedia as an inadvertent oxymoron, something "created by errors or sloppiness in conversation".  One meaning of the world materials that comes to mind is (dialectical) materialism, which contradicts the notion of transcendent/metaphysical existence rather than that of a computer generated virtual world.  This meaning of materialism doesn't really apply here.

There is a second popular definition: (economical) materialism, which describes the preference of physical possessions over other things - particularly time. Now this definitions fits nicely. Even though virtual worlds still qualify as physical, they have neither inherent nor lasting value due to their digital nature. Virtual possessions can be easily devalued by inflation, erased or copied infinitely. 

So is there a contradiction in terms? Is it impossible to be an economical materialist in a virtual world? - The answer is: No, it is not impossible and it is not a contradiction and hence not an oxymoron. It is a paradox, something that only seems contradictory. The WoW materialists do in fact gather distinctly sequenced magnetic charges on some of Activision-Blizzard's harddrives.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo

I quite because I became bored of the game.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By belaraphon

i play it with my girlfriend on the weekends. we are having a pretty good time running through the content.  i think its defiantly a mindset thing. if you are looking to have the best gear and stuff then it could become quite the undertaking, but if you are like suz and i then its just fun to kill some stuff, complete quests, and play for a few hours together.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By VWGTI

It's still a fun game for sure, but I've had my fill. Four years of playing was enough for me.

Gunrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Gunrock
    @Famov: 
    I think its because of the achievements, it seems if you're into them you feel like you're wasting your time playing WoW and since Giantbomb is extremely achievement heavy community it seems like logical to hate mmo's specially the big one, dunno could be wrong but thats how i see it.

Oh and yeah i still find it fun, not all the time i take a break and play some other games, make an alt, whatever and preparations for raid? come on its Wrath of the lich king all you need is a flask and you're set nothing like back in BC.
    towly177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By towly177

It used to be fun, but now idk what happened i guess i got bored of it

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By meteora

Yeah it can become tiresome. A lot of people quit and hop back on when they feel like it. I did the same and that still got me stuck with a lowbie warlock. =/

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64
    @FlamingHobo said:
    " I quite because I became bored of the game. "
    Me to but, I had a blast when I played it.
    Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By The_Philosopher

I don't find it fun anymore but I'm certain i'll get sucked back in when that new expansion comes out. Fuck Blizzard.
    doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By doe3879

^ I probably will do it the same
    but will probably depend on how NOT furry like the  worgens are
    and how many friends of my are willing to start over wtih me

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brunchies

@ninjakiller said:

That is Defiantly a fact.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By sjschmidt93
    I'm sure you'll have fun. I haven't played in like 4 or 5 months but after a long break it's always fun. Go do some dailies, some PvP, and try to get some gear. It'll have it's hooks in you in a few weeks.  

@DOUBLESHOCK
    said:
    " It's an MMO.  Nobody really has "fun", they just think they do.  er, well maybe on my first character I had fun, but I know that if you quit, and then you want to go back thinking it will be like old times again, it won't, and you'll just end up quitting for the same reason you quit before. "
    Right. People love to do thinks they don't even find fun. 

@ninjakiller said:
    I'm done defending MMO's and MMO players. If you don't want it to be a "job" don't raid.... or find an understanding guild that'll let you only when you want to.
    DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By DRE7777
    @ninjakiller:
    AMEN
    DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DRE7777

But in all seriousness i was actually thinking about getting back into it too if the next expansion pack creates a whole new Azeroth like they say its going to.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Jabronie said:
    "I know Warcraft gets a lot of hate on the internets, for whatever reason, but I speak as a non-hater and long time, now retired WoW player. "
    People like to make assumptions about games they haven't played.

@aceedkins: It sounds like you want to have fun with WoW again but don't quite feel like it's fun anymore. I'd say you probably won't feel it's fun anymore, though it was fun while it lasted. Try it for a month if you have to.
    MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrAwsum

I quit not long ago, the game recently is full of spammers, lollers, and people who are just so ignorant you have to duel them. ( The only way of course you can possibly fight them ), 
    So, depending on the server, I don't think it's worth it for the money you pay, Give it a year 'till Catalysm comes out. 

Edit: This is only my opinion, you could always buy another month and try it out again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.