Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

WoW- Third Time Lucky - (Originally) One Through Ten

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Pazy

From the information I have encountered when I was not a World of Warcraft player the amount of time spent on the low levels continues to get shorter. I have been told, in jest, that levels 1 through 20 are only slightly more than an hour long cutscene. I don't believe that the levelling process is quite as short as that but once I had the hang of the general working of the game I managed to take a Tauren Druid from starting to 19 within 5 days at a leisurely pace though it took more like a week and a half for my original character since there was still an element of blind stumbling (though that has its joys).

As I tend to do with all of the RPG's I play I created a character on the Alliance (which in my mind translated as "good" though it dosent seem quite so simple now that I am in the world) side as a Human Warrior. The initial luster of playing a new game lasted about an hour and I was quickly bored by the entire concept of what I was doing. Initially, the only thing I had to do was click an enemy then hit '2' (Heroic Strike which is a Power Attack) when it was available. I was told to kill various things but I have no memory of what particularly, when I had finished killing whatever I had finished killing I was told to kill some more things which I lazily dispatched. This point in the game was the lowest point that I have experience so far because it was just so empty, souless and I felt so disconnected. Had it not been for the fact I was playing with a friend, though unpartied since we were on trial accounts at this period, I would have most likely given up at this point or shortly after. Soon I was directed towards a warrior trainer who allowed me to purchase, thanks for that trainer, 'Battle Shout' which was a damage buff which though very useful at the stage I am now (and I would assume later) it did little to change the monotony of the combat and general experience I was having.

To cut this section of the blog down I will simply summarise the general experience that I had until around level 10. I continued to kill whatever creatures the quest given had a problem with, though I never asked why he had a problem I simply took his money for the murder, and every now and then I collected a quest with a little bit of interest. One such quest, which I cannot name off the top of my head though some WoW veterans might, involved being the conduit for the love of children of rival farmsteads. This quest did not involve a great deal but it gave a little more personality to the world I was trying to inhabit compared to simply seeing it, as I had previously, as a place with things that needed killing. I also a had some, more, negative experiences at this level such as getting a hold of quests when I was too low level to complete in a non-frustrating fashion. A specific example I can think of involves being asked to kill a number of murloc's (I believe perhaps for their scales or some other such lootable item). Though I was able to, barely, take on a single murloc they had a tendancy to situate themselves in clumps and quickly call for close-by back up which rendered this quest almost impossible alone and incredibly frustrated even with a friend to help me. Again, at this point it all felt a little pointless and was sapping any fun I was having with the gameplay or connection to the world but due to my promise to play with my friends and the interest I had in later content I had seen I continued to play.

Essentially the vast majority of my experience below level 10 felt completely dull, pointless and completely off-putting. To put it in simpler terms, it was not much fun.

Once I had reached around level 10 things began to change for the better and the fun began to arrive.  

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Pazy

From the information I have encountered when I was not a World of Warcraft player the amount of time spent on the low levels continues to get shorter. I have been told, in jest, that levels 1 through 20 are only slightly more than an hour long cutscene. I don't believe that the levelling process is quite as short as that but once I had the hang of the general working of the game I managed to take a Tauren Druid from starting to 19 within 5 days at a leisurely pace though it took more like a week and a half for my original character since there was still an element of blind stumbling (though that has its joys).

As I tend to do with all of the RPG's I play I created a character on the Alliance (which in my mind translated as "good" though it dosent seem quite so simple now that I am in the world) side as a Human Warrior. The initial luster of playing a new game lasted about an hour and I was quickly bored by the entire concept of what I was doing. Initially, the only thing I had to do was click an enemy then hit '2' (Heroic Strike which is a Power Attack) when it was available. I was told to kill various things but I have no memory of what particularly, when I had finished killing whatever I had finished killing I was told to kill some more things which I lazily dispatched. This point in the game was the lowest point that I have experience so far because it was just so empty, souless and I felt so disconnected. Had it not been for the fact I was playing with a friend, though unpartied since we were on trial accounts at this period, I would have most likely given up at this point or shortly after. Soon I was directed towards a warrior trainer who allowed me to purchase, thanks for that trainer, 'Battle Shout' which was a damage buff which though very useful at the stage I am now (and I would assume later) it did little to change the monotony of the combat and general experience I was having.

To cut this section of the blog down I will simply summarise the general experience that I had until around level 10. I continued to kill whatever creatures the quest given had a problem with, though I never asked why he had a problem I simply took his money for the murder, and every now and then I collected a quest with a little bit of interest. One such quest, which I cannot name off the top of my head though some WoW veterans might, involved being the conduit for the love of children of rival farmsteads. This quest did not involve a great deal but it gave a little more personality to the world I was trying to inhabit compared to simply seeing it, as I had previously, as a place with things that needed killing. I also a had some, more, negative experiences at this level such as getting a hold of quests when I was too low level to complete in a non-frustrating fashion. A specific example I can think of involves being asked to kill a number of murloc's (I believe perhaps for their scales or some other such lootable item). Though I was able to, barely, take on a single murloc they had a tendancy to situate themselves in clumps and quickly call for close-by back up which rendered this quest almost impossible alone and incredibly frustrated even with a friend to help me. Again, at this point it all felt a little pointless and was sapping any fun I was having with the gameplay or connection to the world but due to my promise to play with my friends and the interest I had in later content I had seen I continued to play.

Essentially the vast majority of my experience below level 10 felt completely dull, pointless and completely off-putting. To put it in simpler terms, it was not much fun.

Once I had reached around level 10 things began to change for the better and the fun began to arrive.  

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Pazy

Just a quick note to say that I am started working on some notes for my next WoW blog which will either be 10+ as my human warrior (Main) or the 1-10 experience I had with other characters after my original.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.