Your Top Ten Favorite World War II Games

• 58 results
#1 Edited by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

Hey Bombers,

I'm sure many of you have played games based on World War II and have several favorites titles of your own. Would you care to share it with us? The purpose of this thread is to not only see which World War II-based games are the most popular but to also provide recommendations to those who haven't played a lot of WWII games like myself. Think of it as a top ten favorite and recommended games to play list.

The games you choose MUST be in the World War II setting. It doesn't have to be FPS (since that it the most popular genre) but any genre as long as it involves Nazis, Hitler, Swastikas, German invasion, Japanese invasion - anything that occurred between 1939 and 1945.

To make it more interesting - only one game per franchise is allowed! So there can be only one Call of Duty title, one Wolfenstein title, etc. Choose wisely! If more than one game from a series is listed, I will only pick the first one that is mentioned.

If you can't come up with ten titles, don't worry. Just list down as many as you can.

Once I've collected enough data, I will post the results here so let us begin!

Here is my list. Sadly, I haven't been playing a lot of WWII games so this are all the ones I can think of. I'm sure your list is more spectacular than mine:

1. Battlefield 1942 (2002)
  2. Wolfenstein (2009)
  3. Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines (1998)
  4. Call of Duty: World at War (2008)
  5. Company of Heroes (2006)
  6. Silent Storm (2004)
#2 Edited by Mikemcn (6982 posts) -

1.Call of Duty 2 is the best world war II game ever made, it's actually based on real events, it plays fantastically, it looks damn good and was fantastic fun.

2. Men of War and Men of War Assault Squad, like company of heroes, but with some actual realism! I hate how in COH every unit has a health bar that you have to wear down, it's so damn contrived.

3. Battlefield 1942, because you can drive the destroyer.

4. Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3: Battle For Europe. just a whole lot of fun.

There's really not that many World War II games when it comes down to it.

#3 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

1.Call of Duty 2 is the best world war II game ever made, it's actually based on real events, it plays fantastically, it looks damn good and was fantastic fun.

I challenge you in both the gameplay department and the realism department and present you with BIA Road to Hill 30.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6972 posts) -

1. Company of men or what ever that relic game was
2. COD3
3. Crimson skys

#5 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

1. Battlefield 1942

2. Call of Duty 2

3. Red Orchestra 2

I've put a disgusting amount of hours into BF1942 and the various COD games.

#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

I really enjoyed Call of Duty 2.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11808 posts) -

1) Call of Duty 2

2) Call of Duty World at War

I don't remember playing any others of note. I played Medal of Honor Frontline but didn't care for it and Battlefield 1943 a little bit. Uh... that's all folks!

#8 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

The only one I've played to completion is Medal of Honor: Airborne and that was complete shit.

#9 Edited by falling_fast (2210 posts) -

Men of War

Battlefield 1942

Call of Duty

Call of Duty 2

Red Orchestra

Silent Hunter III

IL-2 Sturmovik

Hearts of Iron II

Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far

Braid

#10 Edited by Mikemcn (6982 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

@Mikemcn said:

I challenge you in both the gameplay department and the realism department and present you with BIA Road to Hill 30.

I think "History" channel did a series of documentarys where scenes were played out in one of the BIA games... so i guess they tend to be more detailed in their historical accuracy.

#11 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Psykhophear said: 
  1. Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines (1998)
  2. Silent Storm (2004)
Interesting, I've never heard of those. 

Mine:
  1. Call of Duty - Best WW2 game evar. 
  2. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - This is Saving Private Ryan: The Video Game.
  3. Company of Heroes - My first experience with a WW2 RTS, and the most accessible one I've played. I'm kinda RTS-retarded. 
  4. Medal of Honor: Airborne - My first game on my first kickass gaming PC in 2007. Loved the parachuting intros, loved the shooting and atmosphere, loved the missions. 
  5. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Best WW2 multiplayer FPS I've ever played.
  6. Hidden & Dangerous 2 - Nostalgia mention.
  7. The Saboteur - Open world game in Nazi France is brilliant.
#12 Posted by pweidman (2326 posts) -

MoH Frontlines and CoD2 come to mind first. And I liked MoH Airborne myself.

Been a while, as this genre has taken a well deserved hiatus.

#13 Posted by Brackstone (56 posts) -

If I tried to come up with a list, it would just be all the Brothers in Arms games, Call of Duty: Big Red One and Call of Duty 2 in some arbitrary order. But number one is easily Hidden and Dangerous 2, it's just a really great and overlooked game.

#14 Posted by Redbullet685 (6036 posts) -
#15 Edited by Bleeble (95 posts) -

1. Call of Duty
2. Company of Heroes
3. Call of Duty 2
4. Wolfenstein 3-D

Those are the only ones I can think of.

#16 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

1. Medal of Honor : Allied Assault. You guys are nuts not to talk about this game. 

2. Company of Heroes. Nuff' said.

3. Commando series. Supremely hard, but oh so satisfying to pull off those hitman-esque missions without being seen once.

4. Wolfenstein ( the first remake in the 2000's ). This first person shooter was not only gorgeous, but played like a dream.

5. Silent Storm. I used to play the demo over and over.
#17 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -
  • Medal of Honor: European Assault
  • Call of Duty 2,3 and World at War
  • Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
  • Sniper Elite
  • Battlefield 1943
  • The Saboteur
  • Wolfenstein
#18 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I thought there were more WW2 games.

Haha, I know! That's why I decided to make this thread.

#19 Posted by Raven10 (1768 posts) -

1. Call of Duty (And the United Offensive expansion and 2)

2. Return to Castle Wolfenstein (And 3D and Wolfenstein from 2010 or whenever that was)

3. There was this turn based strategy game I played in the 90's or really early 00's that I enjoyed but I can't remember the name of it

Those are the only ones I really enjoyed that I can think of off the top of my head.

#20 Posted by falling_fast (2210 posts) -

@mcderby4 said:

• Medal of Honor: European Assault
  • Call of Duty 2,3 and World at War
  • Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
  • Sniper Elite
  • Battlefield 1943
  • The Saboteur
  • Wolfenstein

I tried playing Sniper Elite but that game is crazy hard. and not in a good way, I thought. Most everything about it seemed janky as fuck. Enemies who can spot you from like half a mile away while you're crawling and doing your best to be sneaky. Mysterious gunshots coming from nowhere, and just poor mission design.

#21 Posted by JEC03 (898 posts) -

@Klei said:

1. Medal of Honor : Allied Assault. You guys are nuts not to talk about this game.

Agreed Best WW2 game ever can't believe the guys that made this awesome game created COD MOHAA to this day destroys any COD game in terms of skill and fun.

#22 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

brothers in arms forever and always

#23 Posted by AssInAss (2621 posts) -

Brothers in Arms are the only WW 2 games I'm not embarrassed to show my family. Very much inspired by Band of Brothers, even down to the titles.

It doesn't have an unrealistic amount of enemies rushing at you, typical FPS style. You have to use squad tactics, and most of the game I'd never shoot a single bullet in a level (you get an achievement for this, I think). You're on square-inch perfect recreations of real locations, and it follows the events, that it's like the most fun history lesson you could have.

BiA: Hell's Highway has an excellent story that rarely gets brought up in best game stories (you really should play the whole trilogy). It recounts all the events in the past two games to great affect. It's psychological, emotional, and heart-breaking. The hospital level still gives me the chills. Seeing Corion angry at you, Baker, is one of the saddest moments I've had in gaming.

#24 Edited by eskimo (476 posts) -

MOHAA is king, it's the game that kicked off the massive WW2 FPS trend

ET was also pretty hot

#25 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -
#26 Posted by Neeshka (118 posts) -

1. Return To Castle Wolfenstein

2. All the CoD ww2 games except cod 3 (so cod1,coduo,cod2,codwaw)

3. Medal of Honor Allied Assault

4. Brothers in Arms

#27 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

In no particular order:

• Battlefield 1942
  • Company of Heroes
  • Medal of Honor Frontline
  • IL-2 Sturmovik
  • Red Orchestra 2
  • Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
  • World of Tanks
  • Call of Duty: World at War
  • Battlestations: Midway
  • Sniper Elite

Boom, first to post 10 (according to the OP's rules).

#28 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

Call of Duty 2 is all I can vouch for.

#29 Edited by falling_fast (2210 posts) -

@B0nd07 said:

Boom, first to post 10.

nuh-uh, though including Braid because it happens to be, in part, about the atomic bomb was kind of a snarky dick move on my part I admit.

#30 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Call of Duty 1
Battle of Britain
Silent Hunter
Company of Heroes
Braid
Battlefield 1942
Sturmovik

#31 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

@damnable_fiend:

"To make it more interesting - only one game per franchise is allowed! So there can be only one Call of Duty title..."

That brings your list down to nine. Also, Braid is debatable.

#32 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair
Call of Duty 1
Battle of Britain
Silent Hunter
Company of Heroes
Braid
Battlefield 1942
Sturmovik
Oh and Day of Defeat
#33 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -
  1. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - if you want your WWII game to have a tremendous story along with great gameplay, this takes the cake. My favorite WWII game of all time.
  2. Company of Heroes - not only one of my favorite WWII games, but it's my favorite RTS game also. Relic did well.
  3. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - the opening level (D-Day) is straight out of Saving Private Ryan. This was my 1st WWII game I've ever played, and it's what got me interested in WWII in general. That music....hear it for yourself.
  4. Return to Castle Wolfenstein - yes, I originally played it on Xbox, but I played the snot outta Enemy Territory at my grandmother's house after school, so win/win for me.
#34 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@B0nd07 @Tim_the_Corsair: Wait, Braid is a World War II game? I haven't played it yet and based on the screenshots , it sure doesn't look like one.

#35 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

Not in any particular order:

• MOH series
  • COD series - WAW the best
  • Company of Heroes - Probably the best and my favorite
  • Return to Castlewolfenstein
  • Blitzkrieg
  • Battlefield 1942 
  • Men of War
  • The Saboteur
#36 Edited by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -
  • Men of War, MoW: Red Tide
  • COD Finest hour through World at War (minus 4 of course)
  • MOH: Airborne, Frontline, Underground, Rising Sun
  • Battlestations Pacific and Midway
  • R.U.S.E.
  • Company Of Heroes
#37 Posted by falling_fast (2210 posts) -

@B0nd07 said:

@damnable_fiend:

"To make it more interesting - only one game per franchise is allowed! So there can be only one Call of Duty title..."

That brings your list down to nine. Also, Braid is debatable.

that's what I get for not reading the op very carefully. you win, sir

#38 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Call of Duty 2

Company of Heroes

Valkyria Chronicles (not really WWII, but clearly, clearly heavily inspired by it)

Sniper Elite

Call of Duty 1

That's all I can think of right now.

Edit: Didn't read the second page until posted, glad to see people singing the praises of MOHAA.

Edit 2: I really hope someone makes a solid new WWII game soonish. Good WWII games have a such an epic and unique feel that modern war games or I guess war games from any other era for that matter just don't match.

Edit 3: I've got more than one Call of Duty game. Deal with it.

#39 Posted by themangalist (1731 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

For the longest time we said WWII were getting old. And we never realized how little the collection is compared to modern warfare games.

#40 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@themangalist said:

@Mikemcn said:

For the longest time we said WWII were getting old. And we never realized how little the collection is compared to modern warfare games.

I noticed that too. It's interesting to see how many of us are struggling to put this list together.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (24423 posts) -

Operation Darkn--NO WAIT.

I honestly haven't played that many World War II games, much less World War II games I particularly enjoyed Outside of Wolfenstein 3-D, I can't think of any I've spent real time into (other than Operation Darkness.)

#42 Posted by captain_max707 (490 posts) -

In no particular order, save the first two. 

Red Orchestra 
Red Orchestra 2 (They are quite different) 
Men of War  
Call of Duty 2  
Call of Duty 1/ United Offensive 
 Day of Defeat 
Wolfenstein 3D 

Maybe I'll add more.

#43 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

Company of Heroes

#44 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@B0nd07 said:

Boom, first to post 10 (according to the OP's rules).

Terrific! Great job.

#45 Posted by cid798 (240 posts) -

Based solely on how much fun I had my #1 would be the Forgotten Hope mod for BF 1942. The rest is really moot.

#46 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

@Psykhophear said:

@themangalist said:

@Mikemcn said:

I noticed that too. It's interesting to see how many of us are struggling to put this list together.

Only because of the 'one game per franchise' rule. There are LITERALLY squillions of WW2 games.

#47 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -
  1. Soldiers: Heroes of WW2
  2. Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
  3. Company of Heroes
  4. Call of Duty 1
  5. Hidden & Dangerous 2
  6. Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
  7. Battlestations: Midway
  8. Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich (whatever, it totally counts)
  9. Day of Defeat Source
  10. Wings of Fury
#48 Posted by darthturtle (13 posts) -

1. Company of Heroes

2. Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30

3. Panzer General Forever (it's a freeware clone of the original Panzer General)

4. Hearts of Iron III (I really want to like this more, but I still don't quite get the game)

#49 Edited by PenguinDust (12499 posts) -
  • Medal of Honor Allied Assault ~ I think this might have been among the very first PS2 games I owned. [EDIT: I mean MoH: Frontline]
  • Call of Duty 2 ~ I've played this version of COD more than any other, even to this day.
  • Company of Heroes ~ a great RTS that reignited my interest in the genre.
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein ~ too much fun was had in the early days of Xbox Live with this game on the original Xbox.
  • Silent Service ~ Back in the day, I played many a game of this classic sub-sim
  • Panzer General II ~ After many years of table-top strategy games, this game was a satisfying substitute for those cardboard wargames.
  • European Air War ~ In my mind, this was the best air-to-air combat simulator of its day. It had decent online, too. A whole lot of fun.
#50 Posted by JEC03 (898 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

• Medal of Honor Allied Assault ~ I think this might have been among the very first PS2 games I owned.

MOHAA is a PC only game I think you mean Medal of honor frontline.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.