Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wreckfest

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2018

A spiritual successor to the Flatout franchise being worked on by Bugbear Entertainment.

Flatout successor announced for crowdfunding

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

Bugbear Entertainment, the developers behind the Flatout series as well as that quirky Ridge Racer game from last year have revealed their previously teased project. The game is called "Next Car Game" and it is meant to be a spiritual successor to the Flatout franchise with destruction derby style of racing inspired by the Finnish Jokamiesluokka folk racing. Top Gear did a little feature on the subject a few years back which I will embed below because I was unable to embed the developer video on the site.

Apparently publishers weren't keen on the game so Bugbear have decided to crowdfund the game through PC pre-orders. It should be noted that these pre-orders are not going through Kickstarter or anything like that, so all the money that Bugbear receives through these pre-orders they will keep. The cheapest pre-order is 25 bucks and once Bugbear reaches 10 000 pre-orders they will release a demo for backers. The developers are also considering releasing the game on current and next-gen platforms if they can gather enough funds and interest. You can bug Bugbear through Twitter if you want the game to be released on your platform of choice.

You can find more info including a video with footage from the game which I wasn't able to embed here through this link.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I love me some Destruction Derby. I hope this turns out well.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Flatout 2 is one of my favorite racing games. This makes me quite happy, especially considering the last Flatout game was such a trainwreck.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Where the fuck did my copy of Destruction Derby Raw go?

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really like Flatout. I was only a little disappointed that the latest BugBear Flatout game, Flatout: Ultimate Carnage, was just a port of the console version. The console version was just a port of Flatout 2 for the PC. So they pretty much made and resold Flatout 2 twice to PC gamers, which rubbed me the wrong way.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The video has been posted on YouTube so I can embed it here:

Loading Video...

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By isomeri

Here's some new footage of the damage modeling and oh boy those grinders at the end of the video really tear the car to pieces. This is the first game I've ever crowd funded and stuff like this is getting me rather excited.

Loading Video...

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And the game now has a Kickstarter and I don't really know what happened to the original crowdfunding thingie.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love me some Destruction Derby. I hope this turns out well.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first (early) gameplay demo looks pretty dope.

Loading Video...

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Shit looks great! They might even beat out DiRT to the punch, right about now.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Read the title as Fallout.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard

I always hated the handling in Flatout, yet the destruction derby stuff was awesome. I'd love to see the tech in a demo like BeamNG used in a destruction derby game.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By isomeri

Bugbear just released the first playable tech-demo to backers. The demo is basically just a big field with obstacles, grinders, other cars, ramps etc. to wreck your car into. There's not much here, but I have to say that the way the cars come apart is really impressive. I was able to drive my car through a massive grinder and have it come out the other side basically split in half but I was still able to sort of drive the car around on two wheels.

Loading Video...

eclectic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By eclectic

Apparently everyone can get the tech demo now from their site if you sign up for their newsletter or something. Personally, I think the demo alone is worth some kind of Quick Look or Unprofessional Friday treatment.

Edit: Whoops. More of a limited demo than the one backers get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.