The Game Formerly Known As Word FIghter Is Finally Coming Out

#1 Posted by Jeff (3671 posts) -

I feel like the only games I play on my phone/iPad these days are multiplayer Boggle clones, so it feels a little weird to be excited for yet another mutliplayer word game, but I remember really liking Word Fighter when me, Brad, and Patrick played it like... a year ago? Anyway, they changed the name to Writer Rumble and it's finally launching this Thursday. No mention of the Android version, though.

Also of note: it's super weird that it's being published by GameFly, but good on them (or good on Garnett, I guess, who is the Director of Publishing for that arm of the company) for picking up what looked to be an awesome little game.

#2 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I haven't played any games that involves using words to fight. I'll be checking this one out though.

#3 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

I remember this or, at least, hearing about this.

Game still sounds super fucking weird.

#4 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Writer Rumble is such a great name. These guys are clearly wordsmiths.

GOTY.

#5 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

Will check it out for sure.

#6 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -

Man, it wasn't too long ago that I was wondering what happened to that game. Thanks for the update!

#7 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

cool looked intresting

#8 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

I was actually trying to remember what this game was called this morning to see if it ever came out.

#9 Posted by Milkman (17337 posts) -

Oh, right. I completely forgot about this game. Looks great, though.

#10 Posted by TheHT (11820 posts) -

Shit, I thought this already came out. Wonder what took it so long.

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

Thanks for the update Jeff. I've honestly been wondering where the game went after you guys covered it. It is really weird that Gamefly is publishing it.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Why isn't this news? WHY ISN'T THIS NEWS!?

#13 Posted by Rsvaret (47 posts) -

Awesome! Glad this is finally gonna come out!

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (12164 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

#15 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3508 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Video_Game_King said:

#16 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2423 posts) -

I was wondering what the hell was going on with Word Fighter. It certainly didn't help that the developer decided to not update their site untill they were ready to release.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

My only question is why did they change the title?

#18 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -
@GERALTITUDE said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Our privileges have to be sufficiently checked.
#19 Posted by ttocs (783 posts) -

@Jeff said:

I feel like the only games I play on my phone/iPad these days are multiplayer Boggle clones, so it feels a little weird to be excited for yet another mutliplayer word game, but I remember really liking Word Fighter when me, Brad, and Patrick played it like... a year ago? Anyway, they changed the name to Writer Rumble and it's finally launching this Thursday. No mention of the Android version, though.

Also of note: it's super weird that it's being published by GameFly, but good on them (or good on Garnett, I guess, who is the Director of Publishing for that arm of the company) for picking up what looked to be an awesome little game.

I remember seeing this before I had an iPhone and being jealous that I wouldn't be able to play it on my droid I used to have. Fast forward a year or so and now I own an iPhone and can actually play it! Really excited about this one!

#20 Posted by m0nk3y80y (182 posts) -

Glad to see this finally out. I was worried when FeelEveryYummy.com basically died off with no real word of what was going on.

#21 Posted by Brodehouse (10134 posts) -

I was stoked for this game and then it disappeared forever and now I'm comparatively less stoked.

#22 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

Can't we all just be word friends?

Buuuuut seriously, if there is one thing that touchscreens do real right it's Boggle. Jetpack ridin' and Boggle.

@Tylea002 said:

Writer Rumble is such a great name.

And yeah, I like Writer Rumble too. Except I as brand manager I would mandate that it must always appear in all caps.

#23 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

@Hailinel: Because there's already another app called Word Fighter in the AppStore.

#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Writer Rumble sounds more marketable to me than Word Fighter, which is a little too generic.

#25 Posted by Cameron (607 posts) -

I've only played a few games of it, but its seems decent. My biggest complaints are that the single-player is almost worthless and the graphics aren't optimized for the retina iPad. Some of the text is very noticeably blurry (pretty important in a game that's all about words) and nothing looks as sharp as it should. Hopefully a few of my friends will pick it up because playing against randoms isn't very much fun.

#26 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4498 posts) -

So what the hell happened to that game? It went dark for a long time.

and this

@GERALTITUDE said:

@ajamafalous said:

@Video_Game_King said:

#27 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

More people should play this game!

#28 Posted by jscro (37 posts) -

I'm really enjoying the game. I wish the roster were a little bigger but at $0.99 it's not like I have anything to complain about. I was wondering what happened to Word Fighter. I was so happy when I heard Garnett say that was his first pickup at Gamefly Media. I hope it's a success so they'll be willing to jump on more quality titles.

#29 Posted by CaLe (4056 posts) -

I don't have an iDevice but I want to check it out... Hopefully it comes to android.

#30 Posted by brownsfantb (401 posts) -

I bought it last night and I haven't been blown away. The single player is basically worthless so unless you have friends playing, your enjoyment of the game may vary. My friends won't pay more than $0 for iPhone games so I've had to settle for playing with randoms which is always less fun.

#31 Posted by ZombiePie (5758 posts) -

Did you accidentally capitalize the "I" in Word Fighter for this post?

#32 Posted by Chaser324 (6745 posts) -

The devs on this game sounded pretty enthusiastic every time they talked about it, so I'm happy to see that they managed to overcome whatever development difficulties they had and landed some publishing help.

#33 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

FINALLY

#34 Posted by Nate (705 posts) -

Fun game. Quick match generally sets me up with someone pretty quickly. I've probably only won one match out of 5 so far, but oh well :)

#35 Posted by FakeKisser (366 posts) -

I picked this up, mainly because my wife will probably like it, mainly because it's Garnett's first publish that I want to support, and mainly because it was only $0.99. ;)

#36 Posted by Xtrminatr (264 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Hailinel said:

Writer Rumble sounds more marketable to me than Word Fighter, which is a little too generic.

It was so they could own the name Writer Rumble, and there was a trademark problem with Word FIghter.

#37 Posted by walterbennet (155 posts) -

Been playing it for a few days. Enjoying it, but it's really nerve-wracking in multiplayer. I always thought I was halfway decent at these Boggle type games, but apparently I'm JUST TERRIBLE against the speedy wordsmiths playing this online.

On another note, my first experience upon launching the game wasn't too great:

*Begin tutorial* ... Step 1: You can spel- DAYMAN007 HAS CHALLENGED YOU TO A MATCH.

*Decline*

Ahem... Step 1: You can spell words by- CLEMENTINE HAS CHALLENGED YOU TO A MATCH.

*Decline*

Step 1: Y- WRAITH_OF_KHAN HAS CHALLENGED YOU TO A MATCH.

*Home button*.

#38 Posted by ElvishPresley (90 posts) -

Thanks a lot for the reminder, Jeff!

#39 Posted by Chango (545 posts) -

Cool game, but I find it exceptionally hard, but then again, I am terrible at word games.

#40 Posted by DallyDoll (180 posts) -

I'm so glad to see this finally became a reality. I love word games and this one sounded right up my alley. Going to get it right now!

#41 Posted by LadyShayne (133 posts) -

@walterbennet said:

Been playing it for a few days. Enjoying it, but it's really nerve-wracking in multiplayer. I always thought I was halfway decent at these Boggle type games, but apparently I'm JUST TERRIBLE against the speedy wordsmiths playing this online.

On another note, my first experience upon launching the game wasn't too great:

*Begin tutorial* ... Step 1: You can spel- DAYMAN007 HAS CHALLENGED YOU TO A MATCH.

*Decline*

Ahem... Step 1: You can spell words by- CLEMENTINE HAS CHALLENGED YOU TO A MATCH.

*Decline*

Step 1: Y- WRAITH_OF_KHAN HAS CHALLENGED YOU TO A MATCH.

*Home button*.

This was pretty much my experience playing the game for the first time. Instead of making it through the tutorial I played (and lost) my first few games after being idle on the main page for all of 5 seconds. I like the game in theory, but it's definitely one of those games that's much more fun with friends. Now if only I can convince them to buy it...

#42 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Good thing you pointed this out,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.