Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WWE '12

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 22, 2011

WWE '12 is the latest edition in WWE's long-running wrestling game franchise previously known as "SmackDown" and "SmackDown vs. RAW".

9.0 from IGN

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

Well this is excellent news!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212844p1.html

"WWE '12 features so much content that it's impossible to give due diligence here to each of its deep modes. Yet none of that depth would matter if the gameplay was sub-par. THQ's efforts in breathing new life into its core mechanics have paid off. Combat now has a natural flow that not only makes sense from the perspective of a player but from the perspective of someone watching a wrestling match take place. The tension and drama that should be present inside the ring are there, and the only reason that's possible is because there is a balance and fine-tuning in the mechanics.

What THQ has done here serves its audience spectacularly. WWE '12 retains and improves upon the already-great presentation of its predecessors, capturing a likeness of wrestling that is uncanny. And it plays just as well as it looks. This should be considered a milestone for the wrestling simulation genre. It's certainly a much-needed breath of fresh air. Let's just hope every year can continue to be this remarkable - the bar is now set very high."

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

but that's what they said last year

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By IBurningStar

Wow...that, that is surprising. I was hoping the game would be better than the past few games, but according to them it is really good. Then again, it is IGN. I don't trust IGN. Hopefully other sites express the same level of approval. If this things starts getting high scores all over the place then I might just have to pick it up.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By buzz_killington

Yeah, they're rebranding the whole series, putting the game out later in the year than usual, and all that, so I expected a lot of changes in the game. Good to know that someone thinks they're working. But WWE games, for me at least, have always been dumb fun party games that I've enjoyed regardless of their relative quality.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Baillie

IGN have always given WWE games a good score, right?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SlightConfuse

ill take this with a grain o salt as much as i like rich george he can give over praise a game. ill wait foralex's and dan ryckets reviews and the quicklook.

from what i seen this looks to be an improvement

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

Doesn't Greg usually review the WWE games since he loves wrestling?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1

Do we really need threads about reviews let alone one site's review?

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emergency

@msavo said:

Do we really need threads about reviews let alone one site's review?

Sure, why not? It happens for practically every other games release.. if its relatively big. This thread will probably serve to discuss all reviews from different sites etc.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By FLStyle

@Baillie said:

They've been WWE's main advert site for years, IGN always makes a feature out of which characters are in the next instalment, revealing a new character each week/month like it's some sort of exclusive worth having.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Does the game feature the ability to steal Vince's car and drive it off a bridge?

If not, then I'm not interested.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

@Barrock:

*sigh* ... another "IGN review is up" thread.

Will people never learn? IGN reviews are shit, especially exclusive reviews ... IGN is forced to give high scores for these. They are the biggest review whore of the industry.

Seriously... the shitty IGN threads popping up regularly is fucking annoying. Stop that shit.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jayjonesjunior

after all they spent on Homefront's advertisement do they still have money to buy IGN?

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#14  Edited By Mnemoidian

9.0 sounds about the right score for a wrestling game that is apparently a milestone AND a breath of fresh air, in wrestling games. What's the problem?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karl_Boss

IGN is pretty reliable right?

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By OneManX

@Mnemoidian said:

9.0 sounds about the right score for a wrestling game that is apparently a milestone AND a breath of fresh air, in wrestling games. What's the problem?

This, to me, is pretty legit. Almost all of the hype has come out THQ for this game. They did the character reveals, they've released the trailers and not much "exclusive" stuff came from IGN, outside of their hour long livestream.

This looks liek they did and actually made a game that is different and really got it down.

I'm hyped.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Three0neFive

LOL BIASED MONEYHAT CANT SPELL IGN WITHOUT IGNORANT ROOOOOFL xD GIANT BOMB FOR LIFE LOOL POOPYFACE IGN FAGS

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By TheHBK

Questions that need to be answered.

Does it play as well as WWF No Mercy?

How does Triple H's hair look? Is it good? The graphics score alone is decided by this.

Can we run over JR with a car?

If those three are yes, then we got a 10 on our hands kids. 5 stars from jeff.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emergency

Anyone know when the other reviews are going to come out for this? I guess Tuesday at latest since thats when its out in US.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By XenoNick

I must admit I'm quite looking forward to this. 2010 worked for some dumb pointless fun.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bingbangboom

@TheHBK said:

Questions that need to be answered.

Does it play as well as WWF No Mercy?

How does Triple H's hair look? Is it good? The graphics score alone is decided by this.

Can we run over JR with a car?

If those three are yes, then we got a 10 on our hands kids. 5 stars from jeff.

I loved WWF No Mercy and think it is the best wrestling game and just disappointed no games have improved on what they had there.

Kasswara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kasswara

I'd wait for the GiantBomb review.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlexanderSheen

IGN, I don't care.

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bingbangboom

@MattBradz said:

5.50 from gameinformer.com

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/wwe_12/b/xbox360/archive/2011/11/22/review.aspx

I'll be waiting for the quick look and review on this, I haven't played a wwe game since SvR 07 so it's interesting to see a new re-branding on the series. However if the majority of the reviews are like this i'll be giving it a miss.

Edit: Some more positive reviews have been released.

I ordered it because I saw it really cheap on CheapAssGamer but if the reviews are bad I will return it. 5.5 is pretty mediocre but the thing that scares me is that there is not a flood of reviews. Figured that there was some embargo and this morning it would be lifted. (IGN getting the first one out because of the score, which is shady).

Was $47 with $10 credit so either I return it or flip it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60

@MattBradz said:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/wwe_12/b/xbox360/archive/2011/11/22/review.aspx

I'll be waiting for the quick look and review on this, I haven't played a wwe game since SvR 07 so it's interesting to see a new re-branding on the series. However if the majority of the reviews are like this i'll be giving it a miss.

That review is awful. He basically just reviewed the RTWM mode and that's it.

G4TV review came out.

gave it a 5/5

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60
    @bingbangboom said:

@MattBradz said:

I ordered it because I saw it really cheap on CheapAssGamer but if the reviews are bad I will return it. 5.5 is pretty mediocre but the thing that scares me is that there is not a flood of reviews. Figured that there was some embargo and this morning it would be lifted. (IGN getting the first one out because of the score, which is shady).

The Game Informer review so far seems to be the only bad one, and if you read it, he only reviewed the RTWM mode and ignored everything else in the game.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@CL60 said:

@bingbangboom said:

@MattBradz said:

The Game Informer review so far seems to be the only bad one, and if you read it, he only reviewed the RTWM mode and ignored everything else in the game.

When it comes to wrestling games, trust CL60. Just go with his word. I hadn't touched a wrestling game since No Mercy/Here Comes the Pain, and was thoroughly impressed with SVR '11 last year.

If CL60 says WWE 12 is looking fresh and good, I'm in.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Baillie said:

Yes, and there hasn't been a good one since 2006.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SlightConfuse

alex said he review will be up tomorrow but he did seem to like it

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By kidman

@TheHBK: Funny thing is, Jeff doesn't like any of the AKI wrestling games

emp231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By emp231

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Baillie said:

Yes, and there hasn't been a good one since 2006.

wrestlemania 2000 didnt come out in 2006 - silly man

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By GrandMarshal

ow that IGN what will they do next

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60
    @KingWilly said:

@CL60 said:

@bingbangboom said:

@MattBradz said:

The Game Informer review so far seems to be the only bad one, and if you read it, he only reviewed the RTWM mode and ignored everything else in the game.

When it comes to wrestling games, trust CL60. Just go with his word. I hadn't touched a wrestling game since No Mercy/Here Comes the Pain, and was thoroughly impressed with SVR '11 last year.

If CL60 says WWE 12 is looking fresh and good, I'm in.

The gameplay is much more smooth than SVR 11. I've been playing Universe mode for the past few hours and it's much more improved. Things have continuity and not just randomness. I've not yet seen the same cutscene twice after 5-6 hours. Some odd things do happen, for example for some reason Brock Lesnar returned on Superstars to confront Santino, now I've been doing a month long feud between Brock Lesnar and Santino on Superstars. The A.I is also leagues better, I could just breeze through everything on Legend in SVR 11, but in WWE 12, I'm getting destroyed a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.