Worth it?

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

The game is on sale and looks good but I haven't watched WWE is a while, do you guys think it's worth it at 50% off?

Thanks.

#2 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Also, what do you think about the listing? It's advertised by Ebay so it's legit but it still feels sort of cheapish.v

#3 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

It's awful pretentious to just say..Worth it?

#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

If you like wrestling yes. It's the best WWE game Yukes has made in a long while.

#5 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@CL60 said:

If you like wrestling yes. It's the best WWE game Yukes has made in a long while.

How about if you used to like wrestling but haven't watched it in a while?

#6 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Sorry Neku. We cool?

#7 Edited by AjayRaz (12427 posts) -

i don't think you need to be a fan of wrestling to enjoy this game, but it would really make it a much more enjoyable experience. the new wake-up taunts are a ton of fun to use and i get all giggly because i'm like "it's just like on tv!'. the new presentation style looks great and some of the animations are great, but some of them also look strangely robotic and void of any life.  
 
i haven't played a smackdown game since 09, but it feels a tad slower this time around. the game is much more fun, though. maybe how the pacing has been much more improved or the satisfying feel of pulling off a move. whatever it is, it's made the game more fun to play. the weapon physics are still wonky and messed up, but that kinda adds to the fun of it. during a ladder match, a ladder tipped over and knocked everyone over which was kinda cool. tables also explode into pieces which is crazy. 
 
should you buy it? i would totally recommend it. there's some cool surprises and unlockables in there especially if you haven't watched wrestling in a while and used to like it. there's neat dlc like Christian's outfit from WM2000 (or was it X-Seven?) and the creation tools are still as crazy as ever. i like it a lot, and this is someone who was always grumpy over how the SVR series would never top 2006, which is one of my favorite wrestling games next to No Mercy and Shut Your Mouth.  
 
also, the commentary is still trash. i was playing today and Cole described a table breaking as a "thunderous explosion of humanity"

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@Claude said:

Sorry Neku. We cool?

Heck yeah, man! I wasn't even mad at you. :P

Who the hell could mad at Claude? You are awesome.

#9 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

i don't think you need to be a fan of wrestling to enjoy this game, but it would really make it a much more enjoyable experience. the new wake-up taunts are a ton of fun to use and i get all giggly because i'm like "it's just like on tv!'. the new presentation style looks great and some of the animations are great, but some of them also look strangely robotic and void of any life.

i haven't played a smackdown game since 09, but it feels a tad slower this time around. the game is much more fun, though. maybe how the pacing has been much more improved or the satisfying feel of pulling off a move. whatever it is, it's made the game more fun to play. the weapon physics are still wonky and messed up, but that kinda adds to the fun of it. during a ladder match, a ladder tipped over and knocked everyone over which was kinda cool. tables also explode into pieces which is crazy.

should you buy it? i would totally recommend it. there's some cool surprises and unlockables in there especially if you haven't watched wrestling in a while and used to like it. there's neat dlc like Christian's outfit from WM2000 (or was it X-Seven?) and the creation tools are still as crazy as ever. i like it a lot, and this is someone who was always grumpy over how the SVR series would never top 2006, which is one of my favorite wrestling games next to No Mercy and Shut Your Mouth. also, the commentary is still trash. i was playing today and Cole described a table breaking as a "thunderous explosion of humanity"

Do you think it would be able to get me back into watching WWE? I didn't stop watching it because it got crappy or anything, I just sorta lost interest and stopped watching it. =/

#10 Posted by DonChipotle (2760 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@AjayRaz said:

i don't think you need to be a fan of wrestling to enjoy this game, but it would really make it a much more enjoyable experience. the new wake-up taunts are a ton of fun to use and i get all giggly because i'm like "it's just like on tv!'. the new presentation style looks great and some of the animations are great, but some of them also look strangely robotic and void of any life.

i haven't played a smackdown game since 09, but it feels a tad slower this time around. the game is much more fun, though. maybe how the pacing has been much more improved or the satisfying feel of pulling off a move. whatever it is, it's made the game more fun to play. the weapon physics are still wonky and messed up, but that kinda adds to the fun of it. during a ladder match, a ladder tipped over and knocked everyone over which was kinda cool. tables also explode into pieces which is crazy.

should you buy it? i would totally recommend it. there's some cool surprises and unlockables in there especially if you haven't watched wrestling in a while and used to like it. there's neat dlc like Christian's outfit from WM2000 (or was it X-Seven?) and the creation tools are still as crazy as ever. i like it a lot, and this is someone who was always grumpy over how the SVR series would never top 2006, which is one of my favorite wrestling games next to No Mercy and Shut Your Mouth. also, the commentary is still trash. i was playing today and Cole described a table breaking as a "thunderous explosion of humanity"

Do you think it would be able to get me back into watching WWE? I didn't stop watching it because it got crappy or anything, I just sorta lost interest and stopped watching it. =/

I got back into watching wrestling with SvR 2010, so it is certainly something that can get you back into it. Also, WWE 12 is really fun. Except for the server problems.

#11 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@DonChipotle said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@AjayRaz said:

i don't think you need to be a fan of wrestling to enjoy this game, but it would really make it a much more enjoyable experience. the new wake-up taunts are a ton of fun to use and i get all giggly because i'm like "it's just like on tv!'. the new presentation style looks great and some of the animations are great, but some of them also look strangely robotic and void of any life.

i haven't played a smackdown game since 09, but it feels a tad slower this time around. the game is much more fun, though. maybe how the pacing has been much more improved or the satisfying feel of pulling off a move. whatever it is, it's made the game more fun to play. the weapon physics are still wonky and messed up, but that kinda adds to the fun of it. during a ladder match, a ladder tipped over and knocked everyone over which was kinda cool. tables also explode into pieces which is crazy.

should you buy it? i would totally recommend it. there's some cool surprises and unlockables in there especially if you haven't watched wrestling in a while and used to like it. there's neat dlc like Christian's outfit from WM2000 (or was it X-Seven?) and the creation tools are still as crazy as ever. i like it a lot, and this is someone who was always grumpy over how the SVR series would never top 2006, which is one of my favorite wrestling games next to No Mercy and Shut Your Mouth. also, the commentary is still trash. i was playing today and Cole described a table breaking as a "thunderous explosion of humanity"

Do you think it would be able to get me back into watching WWE? I didn't stop watching it because it got crappy or anything, I just sorta lost interest and stopped watching it. =/

I got back into watching wrestling with SvR 2010, so it is certainly something that can get you back into it. Also, WWE 12 is really fun. Except for the server problems.

Do the unlockables display in a locker room or something like that as they did it 2007? Yeah, sorta useless feature but it was a nice touch. :P

#12 Edited by AjayRaz (12427 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: i don't know. it really depends on how you feel about it. i haven't tried the Road to Wrestlemania mode yet, but if the storylines are like how they were in previous years, i don't think they'll encourage you to watch it. it'll probably encourage you to stay away, if anything.  
 
i'm really on and off with wrestling. i only watch some PPVs and rarely tune into RAW or Smackdown to see what's up. the completely dead crowd kills any sort of excitement that could possibly exist. there's still some great talent, and the actual 'wrestling' is still kinda okay, but if you lost interest before, i don't think you'l regain it right now. you probably would have if you tuned in a couple of months ago during the cool CM Punk angle and earlier this year with the great Elimination Chamber PPV.  
 
you shouldn't buy this game with the intention of getting back into wrestling. it would be great for you, but even if you don't end up doing so, the game itself is still a lot of fun despite a good majority of the roster being newer talent.  
 
also, unlockables don't show up in your locker room anymore. there isn't even a locker room. they dropped all of that stuff after 07.
#13 Posted by DonChipotle (2760 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@DonChipotle said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@AjayRaz said:

i don't think you need to be a fan of wrestling to enjoy this game, but it would really make it a much more enjoyable experience. the new wake-up taunts are a ton of fun to use and i get all giggly because i'm like "it's just like on tv!'. the new presentation style looks great and some of the animations are great, but some of them also look strangely robotic and void of any life.

i haven't played a smackdown game since 09, but it feels a tad slower this time around. the game is much more fun, though. maybe how the pacing has been much more improved or the satisfying feel of pulling off a move. whatever it is, it's made the game more fun to play. the weapon physics are still wonky and messed up, but that kinda adds to the fun of it. during a ladder match, a ladder tipped over and knocked everyone over which was kinda cool. tables also explode into pieces which is crazy.

should you buy it? i would totally recommend it. there's some cool surprises and unlockables in there especially if you haven't watched wrestling in a while and used to like it. there's neat dlc like Christian's outfit from WM2000 (or was it X-Seven?) and the creation tools are still as crazy as ever. i like it a lot, and this is someone who was always grumpy over how the SVR series would never top 2006, which is one of my favorite wrestling games next to No Mercy and Shut Your Mouth. also, the commentary is still trash. i was playing today and Cole described a table breaking as a "thunderous explosion of humanity"

Do you think it would be able to get me back into watching WWE? I didn't stop watching it because it got crappy or anything, I just sorta lost interest and stopped watching it. =/

I got back into watching wrestling with SvR 2010, so it is certainly something that can get you back into it. Also, WWE 12 is really fun. Except for the server problems.

Do the unlockables display in a locker room or something like that as they did it 2007? Yeah, sorta useless feature but it was a nice touch. :P

Nah, nothing quite so fancy. All you get is a little icon that sys "Hey you unlocked this dude"

#14 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

As much as it pains me to say this - the game is completely broken.

#15 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

@JerichoBlyth said:

As much as it pains me to say this - the game is completely broken.

Not completely, but at leastt he PS3 version has some MAJOR slowdown and lot of moves cancelling out other moves. As I am going for a running strike, but my opponent didnt counter, but his Irish Whip grapple cancelled out my strike.

I think it's the best this series has been, but when there are more than 4 guys in he ring, it feels like I am watching the game break. And stuff liek that just frustrates me.

#16 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

I am not playing the game online. Thats an easy decision for me, not unless its against a friend I know well and even then I'd prefer to just meet up IRL for it. This game is great fun if you have a friend to play it with, and is worth it if you would enjoy just making fun matches and rivalries in Universe Mode. You either need friends for shits and giggles, or you need to enjoy wrestling. The game produces great 1 on 1 normal matches, most everything else can be a bit clunky. Weapons and other match types aren't so great. Counters seem a bit too frequent but I've heard tonnes of people whining that they can't get a single one in, so idk. AI is pretty challanging, and with things such as reversing other peoples finishers giving you a finisher or comeback moments it can all change on a dime.

#17 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@JerichoBlyth said:

As much as it pains me to say this - the game is completely broken.

Why is that?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.