Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WWE 2K14

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

WWE 2K14 is the first WWE game to be published by 2K Games.

The new Madden curse?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

That they unveiled the cover for this last night, on the anniversary of Chris Benoit's "pulling a Benoit" (which in turn was the five year anniversary of Bret Hart's stroke) does not strike me as a good omen for this product, nor the safety of anyone involved. Methinks Universal had better get Fast & Furious 7 shot as quickly as possible...

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

ok

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Um...what?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, chain of events:

1. June 24, 2002: Bret Hart falls off his bike and suffers a stroke. Though his wrestling career was effectively over, this is still shitty and arguably the final nail in the coffin.
    2. June 24, 2007: Chris Benoit, having flipped out and killed his wife and child, ultimately hangs himself. His body is discovered a day later.
    3. June 24, 2013: The cover of a new WWE wrestling game is unveiled. No one involved seems the slightest bit superstitious.

I'm just saying, we may be seeing the seminal moments of another awkward sports game phenomenon here.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh. I was confused because the Madden curse has to do with the player on the cover getting injured to some degree that season every year, not because of the date the actual cover was unvei...nevermind.

RIP The Rock?

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason this happens is because, if you appear on the cover of WWE13 / Madden / Sports Illustrated / whatever, you're probably at the very top of your particular field. Hence, the only way you can go is down.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

If this somehow results in The Rock never showing up on WWE television again, then sure, I'm all for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Wait is the Rock seriously on the cover of WWE 2K14? Will there be another pipe bomb because DUANE is kissing ass again?

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Yea, because curses and superstitions are totally real right guys?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel like the only way to guarantee the safety of The Rock is to immediately issue a new cover featuring a wrestler who has already left us and can't be struck by a curse. And thus it was that every wrestling game made ever since came to feature Macho Man Randy Savage on the cover...

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Is the rock wrestling again? I know he had a match at wrestlemania some time but that does not seems like grounds to put him on the cover. Must be lacking talent at the WWE these days.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curses are bullshit.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait is the Rock seriously on the cover of WWE 2K14? Will there be another pipe bomb because DUANE is kissing ass again?

If anything, the bigger crime is how stupidly ugly the cover looks with 2K Sports' idiotic "sports man evaporating into a red background" art style for everything. After the really cool looking CM Punk art on last year's game, or hell even the Randy Orton box art for 12, talk about a step down.

@milkman said:

If this somehow results in The Rock never showing up on WWE television again, then sure, I'm all for it.

This is also true.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@immortalsaiyan: Because they know its going to sell gangbusters. They dedicated a whole 10 minute segment on TV last night to showing off the cover. They over hype the crap out of the game on TV and put the rock on the cover and all the WWE fans will run and buy it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Is the rock wrestling again? I know he had a match at wrestlemania some time but that does not seems like grounds to put him on the cover. Must be lacking talent at the WWE these days.

He had a match at this year's WrestleMania (he lost) in which he tore his abdomen muscle off the bone and hasn't been seen since.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stalefishies said:

The reason this happens is because, if you appear on the cover of WWE13 / Madden / Sports Illustrated / whatever, you're probably at the very top of your particular field. Hence, the only way you can go is down.

You know, this is honestly the most rational take I've seen on it.

Even so, curses and superstitions aside, unveiling a game on such a date seems weird from a PR standpoint. Although, the rate at which wrestlers die horribly can't have left them with many options that weren't the anniversary of something or other.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, it makes perfect sense from a publisher's standpoint. WWE likes them to push faces on the covers of their games (THQ going with CM Punk as the cover athlete for last year's game was apparently against WWE's wishes), and 2K wants their first wrestling game to sell well and draw attention away from the fact that it's yet another Yukes joint, so why not put the most popular person in the company by far on the cover?

It's about the one thing WWE always wants - mainstream acceptance. Put John Cena or Chris Jericho on the cover and you have something that speaks to people who already have a passing knowledge of wrestling; put The Rock on the cover and that speaks to literally anyone that has been alive in the past ten years.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By MildMolasses

@stalefishies said:

Even so, curses and superstitions aside, unveiling a game on such a date seems weird from a PR standpoint. Although, the rate at which wrestlers die horribly can't have left them with many options that weren't the anniversary of something or other.

I think you are way overestimating those specific dates as standing out to the audience. We're not talking about 9/11 or D-Day here

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilnights said:

@stalefishies said:

I think you are way overestimating those specific dates as standing out to the audience. We're not talking about 9/11 or D-Day here

I think you're way overestimating the ability of the WWE and fans thereof to care about things that are actually important.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's already questionable whether he's ever going to wrestle again after what happened at Wrestlemania.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not see this as being the new "Madden Curse".

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The Madden curse is making millions of dollars playing a sport you love then getting injured playing said sport where a lot of people get injured on a fairly regular basis anyway. Wow ... what a curse.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

"pulling a Benoit" is a pretty shitty way to refer to what he did.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By wmoyer83

The Rock is on the cover because it's what's best for business.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

He had a match at this year's WrestleMania (he lost) in which he tore his abdomen muscle off the bone and hasn't been seen since.

OH GOD OWWWW

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@milkman said:

@immortalsaiyan said:

OH GOD OWWWW

Oh, wow, that's painful just to picture in my mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.