Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2009

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 09, 2008

WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2009 continues with its annual edition of the popular wrestling game with its tenth game. The 2009 edition puts additional focus on tag team wrestling, including a co-operative story mode.

IGN Review: SDVR 09

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By OGCartman
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

I haven't read the review, but I am assuming that you have read it so...I haven't played a SDVR game since 2007 because the career mode has sucked for a while in my eyes. Is there any mention that the career mode is actually good this year? (Maybe it was good last year...I wouldn't know)

EDIT: ...just read the review and I'm not liking that story mode is only available to 7 RL wrestlers and "Career Mode" sounds like garbage. I guess this is just another wrestling game I won't be picking up.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OGCartman
    Kush said:
    "I haven't read the review, but I am assuming that you have read it so...I haven't played a SDVR game since 2007 because the career mode has sucked for a while in my eyes. Is there any mention that the career mode is actually good this year? (Maybe it was good last year...I wouldn't know)

EDIT: ...just read the review and I'm not liking that story mode is only available to 7 RL wrestlers and "Career Mode" sounds like garbage. I guess this is just another wrestling game I won't be picking up."
    I watched the video review, wont b reading the entire thing on saturday night = P
    Well im hearing Road To Wrsetlemania is amazing, with its cutscene's and storyline options.

You can play story mode with any character, only 7 RL wrestlers can be on "Road To Wrestlemania".

ffffiiiinnnneee dont play :(
    xP
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kush

I read the review and RTW does sounds great, but I prefer to play those story modes with a created-character...now I can only use a CC in "career" mode which sounds like a joke of a mode. I prefer the old story modes of like (can't remember specifically) Here Come the Pain! I liked having branching paths that were always different and the career mode never truly ended. I don't watching wrestling so I don't really have any interest in playing as a RL wrestler...

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OGCartman
    Kush said:
    I prefer the old story modes of like (can't remember specifically) Here Come the Pain!
    As do I :(
    I dont understand why they cant make new wrestling games to the caliber as the old ones.
    Hell, i prefer my old N64 wrestling games than the SDVR series.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kush
    Cartman said:
    "As do I :(
    I dont understand why they cant make new wrestling games to the caliber as the old ones.
    Hell, i prefer my old N64 wrestling games than the SDVR series."
    It's probably just because people keep on buying them so they don't feel like they need to do any drastic changes...
    OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OGCartman
    Kush said:
    "Cartman said:
    "As do I :(
    Hell, i prefer my old N64 wrestling games than the SDVR series."
    It's probably just because people keep on buying them so they don't feel like they need to do any drastic changes..."
    Those FUCKERS!

Haha yah i know, but i dont wanna contaminate this thread mourning the good ol' days :(
    Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Lemegeton

the series has been awful on the next gen systems. after playing the game i can see its still terrible. they need to take a year off and build a new engine. the game still looks like an upscaled ps2 game, the animations are too slow and the the general gameplay just moves at too slow a pace for me.  i really hope midway get the funds for a second TNA game , cos they have a great engine with a terrible game built around it, and THQ have a great fully featured game built around an engine that was showing its age last year and this year really feels like it has been pushed and tweaked as much as it can. if i could get the TNA engine with the features and modes of WWE i would be in heaven

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OGCartman
    Lemegeton said:
    "the series has been awful on the next gen systems. after playing the game i can see its still terrible. they need to take a year off and build a new engine. the game still looks like an upscaled ps2 game, the animations are too slow and the the general gameplay just moves at too slow a pace for me.  i really hope midway get the funds for a second TNA game , cos they have a great engine with a terrible game built around it, and THQ have a great fully featured game built around an engine that was showing its age last year and this year really feels like it has been pushed and tweaked as much as it can. if i could get the TNA engine with the features and modes of WWE i would be in heaven
    "
    Agreed.
    The TNA game dose have a great engine, and they make every move look BRUTAL which sets it apart from the WWE.
    Any wrestling fan knows that WWE only cares about money, not their fans. So i highly doubt they would ever take a year off to make the game better for gamers.
    Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Lemegeton
    Cartman said:
    "Lemegeton said:
    "the series has been awful on the next gen systems. after playing the game i can see its still terrible. they need to take a year off and build a new engine. the game still looks like an upscaled ps2 game, the animations are too slow and the the general gameplay just moves at too slow a pace for me.  i really hope midway get the funds for a second TNA game , cos they have a great engine with a terrible game built around it, and THQ have a great fully featured game built around an engine that was showing its age last year and this year really feels like it has been pushed and tweaked as much as it can. if i could get the TNA engine with the features and modes of WWE i would be in heaven
    "
    Agreed.
    The TNA game dose have a great engine, and they make every move look BRUTAL which sets it apart from the WWE.
    Any wrestling fan knows that WWE only cares about money, not their fans. So i highly doubt they would ever take a year off to make the game better for gamers."
    yeah i know. that is the sad truth
    well they will never get my money again until they build a new game from scratch
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    Kush said:
    " ...just read the review and I'm not liking that story mode is only available to 7 RL wrestlers and "Career Mode" sounds like garbage. I guess this is just another wrestling game I won't be picking up."
    It is...it is =(
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

Here Comes The Pain was the last good one, IMO.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By bwooduhs

damn im gonna have to buy it now.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kush
    jakob187 said:
    "Here Comes The Pain was the last good one, IMO."
    I would have to agree with you there...it's the last SD game I remember having a story mode I enjoyed.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

Never really been interested in WWE games...

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16  Edited By kmdrkul

The series is becoming too much like Madden.  I just cannot see bringing myself to pay sixty bucks for the game this year...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.