Not nearly as bad as Alex made it seem..

• 58 results
#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

The quick look was full of misinformation, and Alex struggling with the controls because he was constantly pressing the wrong buttons.  

Press B to lean the ladder? Nah, I'm gonna try to lean it by pressing a completely different button, throwing it over the ropes. But that was totally the games fault. Struggling to put the ladder back into the ring? I'm just going to stand here proceeding to press the wrong button multiple times even though it clearly doesn't work!  Alex consistently tried picking up the ladder by kicking it, which once again is the complete wrong button. Alex sat there for like 30 seconds trying to hit both guys with a ladder even though he was clearly too far away for it to connect. Yet in the QL, he blamed the game for all of this stuff when it was him being stupid. Seriously... I like Alex... but come on. And of course there's the backstage brawl where he just sat there kicking and hitting with a fire extinguisher and said that's how they all go and you can't do anything else, all the while completely forgetting each backstage area has numerous environmental attacks, and numerous different weapon types.

Sure it's not the best game in the world, but it sure as hell isn't as bad as Alex made it look, it's actually one of the best Smackdown games since "Here Comes the Pain" and his main point of why he doesn't like it being the gameplay is kind of flawed when he really doesn't even know how to play it, which is clear judging by that quick look.

inb4 you're stoopid and wrestling is stoopid too!

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -

Am I crazy, or isn't this your fourth thread of the week (or something) where you bash the GB crew for various reasons? Or am I wrong? :)

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:
" Am I crazy, or isn't this your fourth thread of the week (or something) where you bash the GB crew for various reasons? Or am I wrong? :) "
Second. And it's not really bashing the GB crew, my last one was about Fable III where Brad complained about something that was a non-issue for pretty much 3/4 of the QL.
#4 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Here's how I see it: If Alex (who likes wrestling and wrestling games) can't figure out the controls, then that's a bad sign. 

And of course there's the backstage brawl where he just sat there kicking and hitting with a fire extinguisher and said that's how they all go and you can't do anything else, all the while completely forgetting each backstage area has numerous environmental attacks, and numerous different weapon types.    

And saying things like this just seems like a weak attempt to defend the game.
#5 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

To be fair he did just show the ladder match, which is always so shit and frustrating in no matter which instalment you play it in. 
I'm not going to get it because its the kind of game i get bored of, but im sure others will really enjoy it.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CptChiken said:
" To be fair he did just show the ladder match, which is always so shit and frustrating in no matter which instalment you play it in. I'm not going to get it because its the kind of game i get bored of, but im sure others will really enjoy it. "
The only reason this game was good to watch was because of Alex and the commentary the two guys made. 
#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Here's how I see it: If Alex (who likes wrestling and wrestling games) can't figure out the controls, then that's a bad sign. 

And of course there's the backstage brawl where he just sat there kicking and hitting with a fire extinguisher and said that's how they all go and you can't do anything else, all the while completely forgetting each backstage area has numerous environmental attacks, and numerous different weapon types.    

And saying things like this just seems like a weak attempt to defend the game. "
If he can't figure out the controls it's a bad sign? Dude...it said right on the screen PRESS B. And he pressed an entirely different button. Plus why would he be trying to kick the ladder while trying to pick it up? once again, 2 completely different buttons. Now for your other point, how is that a weak attempt to defend the game? It's the truth. All Alex did was stomp the other guy and hit him with a fire extinguisher. Then he himself said "This is how backstage brawls always are!" All the while backstage brawls have much more then that. 

@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @CptChiken said:
" To be fair he did just show the ladder match, which is always so shit and frustrating in no matter which instalment you play it in. I'm not going to get it because its the kind of game i get bored of, but im sure others will really enjoy it. "
The only reason this game was good to watch was because of Alex and the commentary the two guys made.  "
Many people, including myself enjoy playing the game. So you're wrong.
#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" Here's how I see it: If Alex (who likes wrestling and wrestling games) can't figure out the controls, then that's a bad sign. 

And saying things like this just seems like a weak attempt to defend the game. "
If he can't figure out the controls it's a bad sign? Dude...it said right on the screen PRESS B. And he pressed an entirely different button. Plus why would he be trying to kick the ladder while trying to pick it up? once again, 2 completely different buttons. Now for your other point, how is that a weak attempt to defend the game? It's the truth. All Alex did was stomp the other guy and hit him with a fire extinguisher. Then he himself said "This is how backstage brawls always are!" All the while backstage brawls have much more then that. 

@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @CptChiken said:
The only reason this game was good to watch was because of Alex and the commentary the two guys made.  "
Many people, including myself enjoy playing the game. So you're wrong. "
I am not "wrong" Its my view. I think the game looks horrible. Has horrible lip syncing. And looks like it controls like crap. 
#9 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @CL60 said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @CptChiken said:
I am not "wrong" Its my view. I think the game looks horrible. Has horrible lip syncing. And looks like it controls like crap.  "
It doesn't control like crap ..at all. Which was mainly the point of my topic.
#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @CL60 said:
" @JJWeatherman said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @CptChiken said:
I am not "wrong" Its my view. I think the game looks horrible. Has horrible lip syncing. And looks like it controls like crap.  "
It doesn't control like crap ..at all. "
My friend told me it has issues. Again this is my view. Am I am only stating it. I am not trying to force you to think the same way. 
#11 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
" Am I crazy, or isn't this your fourth thread of the week (or something) where you bash the GB crew for various reasons? Or am I wrong? :) "
Second. And it's not really bashing the GB crew, my last one was about Fable III where Brad complained about something that was a non-issue for pretty much 3/4 of the QL. "
The Fable III Quick Look was the beginning of the game.  It's hard to illustrate the issues with an inventory and quest system when you have yet to really fill it with anything.
#12 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
Second. And it's not really bashing the GB crew, my last one was about Fable III where Brad complained about something that was a non-issue for pretty much 3/4 of the QL. "
The Fable III Quick Look was the beginning of the game.  It's hard to illustrate the issues with an inventory and quest system when you have yet to really fill it with anything. "
I'm 14 hours in, and have no problems with it. But that's not what this topic is about.
#13 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

SmackDown! has been shit for years. You're fooling nobody.

#14 Posted by rflx (576 posts) -

This was a Quick Look, not a review. Get over it.

#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" SmackDown! has been shit for years. You're fooling nobody. "
Opinions. Also this is one of the best Smackdowns released. 

@rflx said:
" This was a Quick Look, not a review. Get over it. "
Um. K? Your point being what?
#16 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
The Fable III Quick Look was the beginning of the game.  It's hard to illustrate the issues with an inventory and quest system when you have yet to really fill it with anything. "
I'm 14 hours in, and have no problems with it. But that's not what this topic is about. "
You brought it up.  And even if you don't have problems with it, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be seen as problematic for others.
#17 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
I'm 14 hours in, and have no problems with it. But that's not what this topic is about. "
You brought it up.  And even if you don't have problems with it, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be seen as problematic for others. "
Yes it should, because it's not problematic. It's the same as any other menu, the only difference being your character runs around, instead of words being highlighted. Fable 3 menu is much quicker than the Fable 2 menu.
#18 Posted by rflx (576 posts) -
@CL60 said:

@rflx said:
Um. K? Your point being what? "
That Quick Looks are just that.. quick looks at games. Often it's them trying out the game for the first time, or at least in the early stages of the game.. If you expect well thought out and accurate opinions on that basis, you're doing it wrong.
#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@rflx said:
" @CL60 said:

@rflx said:
That Quick Looks are just that.. quick looks at games. Often it's them trying out the game for the first time, or at least in the early stages of the game.. If you expect well thought out and accurate opinions on that basis, you're doing it wrong. "
It wasn't his first time playing it, and the fact that he blamed the game when he did stupid things is what I'm talking about here.
#20 Posted by TwoLines (2799 posts) -

You're a fan of the game.
And that's good and all, but those fights looked really dull, and the animation looked stiff and clunky.
If I liked wrestling, I'd buy that game. But as a fan of fighting games, this.. didn't look very good.

#21 Posted by rflx (576 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @rflx said:
" @CL60 said:

@rflx said:
That Quick Looks are just that.. quick looks at games. Often it's them trying out the game for the first time, or at least in the early stages of the game.. If you expect well thought out and accurate opinions on that basis, you're doing it wrong. "
It wasn't his first time playing it, and the fact that he blamed the game when he did stupid things is what I'm talking about here. "
I didn't say that it was his first time playing it. I was explaining to you what Quick Looks are. My point is, that if this was a proper review, your concerns would surely be justified. But it isn't a review. It's a Quick Look. Who cares.
#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

I think the point being made is the controls aren't very intuitive, at the least. And having played many of these smackdown games, I can say they really aren't great.

#23 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@rflx said:

" @CL60 said:

" @rflx said:
" @CL60 said:

@rflx said:
It wasn't his first time playing it, and the fact that he blamed the game when he did stupid things is what I'm talking about here. "
I didn't say that it was his first time playing it. I was explaining to you what Quick Looks are. My point is, that if this was a proper review, your concerns would surely be justified. But it isn't a review. It's a Quick Look. Who cares. "
Explaining to me what a QL is? I know what a QL is. And FYI, most of the QLs on this site are made after they have beaten the game, or have gotten far into the game. The point still stands that he made it look worse then it really is..
#24 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
You brought it up.  And even if you don't have problems with it, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be seen as problematic for others. "
Yes it should, because it's not problematic. It's the same as any other menu, the only difference being your character runs around, instead of words being highlighted. Fable 3 menu is much quicker than the Fable 2 menu. "
To you, it's not.  To Brad, it is.  And though I haven't played the game, I don't see what makes Fable III's inventory and quest system so much better than a simple pause menu with some decent loading times behind it.  It just puts more steps in a process that should be pop-in/pop-out.
#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
Yes it should, because it's not problematic. It's the same as any other menu, the only difference being your character runs around, instead of words being highlighted. Fable 3 menu is much quicker than the Fable 2 menu. "
To you, it's not.  To Brad, it is.  And though I haven't played the game, I don't see what makes Fable III's inventory and quest system so much better than a simple pause menu with some decent loading times behind it.  It just puts more steps in a process that should be pop-in/pop-out. "
It's not more steps though. It's literally the exact same amount of steps, and it IS pop in/pop out. Tell me how is pressing pause then holding down on stick for half a second and clicking A on map, in any way shape or form different than pressing pause, holding up on the stick for half a second then clicking A on the map?
#26 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

The reason I gave up on the Smackdown series was that the animation and transitions between moves is still extremely wooden, matches with more than 2 people only made this even more apparent.

#27 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@WatanabeKazuma said:
" The reason I gave up on the Smackdown series was that the animation and transitions between moves is still extremely wooden, matches with more than 2 people only made this even more apparent. "
It is improved.. a lot. 

#28 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" SmackDown! has been shit for years. You're fooling nobody. "
Opinions. Also this is one of the best Smackdowns released. "
Opinions. And saying it's one of the best SmackDowns is one of the worst compliments you can give anything. The last game still used some of the same stock animations from SmackDown! 2.
#29 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Hmm, from watching the Quick look another player still can't break a grapple already in progress, it just makes everything akward while you wait for the move to finish.

#30 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
To you, it's not.  To Brad, it is.  And though I haven't played the game, I don't see what makes Fable III's inventory and quest system so much better than a simple pause menu with some decent loading times behind it.  It just puts more steps in a process that should be pop-in/pop-out. "
It's not more steps though. It's literally the exact same amount of steps, and it IS pop in/pop out. Tell me how is pressing pause then holding down on stick for half a second and clicking A on map, in any way shape or form different than pressing pause, holding up on the stick for half a second then clicking A on the map? "
Running around a room versus quickly tabbing through selections?  I'll take the menu tabs.

And then there's the fact that the only constant HUD element appears to be the objective reminders at the top of the screen.  No item count for your health potions, no life meter, nothing.
#31 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
It's not more steps though. It's literally the exact same amount of steps, and it IS pop in/pop out. Tell me how is pressing pause then holding down on stick for half a second and clicking A on map, in any way shape or form different than pressing pause, holding up on the stick for half a second then clicking A on the map? "
Running around a room versus quickly tabbing through selections?  I'll take the menu tabs.  And then there's the fact that the only constant HUD element appears to be the objective reminders at the top of the screen.  No item count for your health potions, no life meter, nothing. "
You don't have to run around the rooms, pressing the d-pad teleports you to each room. The rooms are tiny, and when you approach one item you can tab through them. You don't have to run around to them all.
#32 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
Running around a room versus quickly tabbing through selections?  I'll take the menu tabs.  And then there's the fact that the only constant HUD element appears to be the objective reminders at the top of the screen.  No item count for your health potions, no life meter, nothing. "
You don't have to run around the rooms, pressing the d-pad teleports you to each room. The rooms are tiny, and when you approach one item you can tab through them. You don't have to run around to them all. "
Then why not just let player navigate a menu using the D-pad?  Or use the Back button for something.  Anything, like say, an inventory menu screen?
#33 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
You don't have to run around the rooms, pressing the d-pad teleports you to each room. The rooms are tiny, and when you approach one item you can tab through them. You don't have to run around to them all. "
Then why not just let player navigate a menu using the D-pad?  Or use the Back button for something.  Anything, like say, an inventory menu screen? "
Because they wanted to do something different? I don't know, I'm not Peter Molyneux. Regardless of the fact that it's different, it still functions the same as any other menu, and is just as quick as any other menu.
#34 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @CL60 said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
Then why not just let player navigate a menu using the D-pad?  Or use the Back button for something.  Anything, like say, an inventory menu screen? "
Because they wanted to do something different? I don't know, I'm not Peter Molyneux. Regardless of the fact that it's different, it still functions the same as any other menu, and is just as quick as any other menu. "
In your opinion.  Brad saw it differently.

And now, this argumentative circle is complete, as we are once again back where we started.

Long story short (too late), if you don't agree with Brad's review, write a review of your own.
#35 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

He's critical of pretty much everything. It's either really good or really bad. That said, he's still a cool dude.

#36 Posted by EuanDewar (4890 posts) -

If someone is playing a game for the purpose of showing you the experience they had with the game and the experience they are having is shitty then thats their experience. If you are having a better experience don't try and correct the other person, just be happy in the knowledge that you have your own opinion and dont try and force it on others.
#37 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

It doesn't matter how good Alex is at the game.  

That game is complete shit. Watching the AI get stuck in that corner in a sort of loop doing the same moves to eachother was evidence enough.
#38 Posted by Milkman (16660 posts) -
@CL60 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @CptChiken said:
I LIKE IT SO YOU'RE WONG! WAAAAHHHHH!!!

Give it a rest, kid. 
#39 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Milkman said:

" @CL60 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @CptChiken said:
I LIKE IT SO YOU'RE WONG! WAAAAHHHHH!!!  Give it a rest, kid.  "
Really? The guy said "The only reason the game was good to watch was because of the commentary" and that's straight up wrong. Also saying "kid" at the end of what you're saying doesn't make you sound mature, it makes you sound like an idiot. 

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" It doesn't matter how good Alex is at the game.   That game is complete shit. Watching the AI get stuck in that corner in a sort of loop doing the same moves to eachother was evidence enough. "
It's not complete shit. You can not like the game, I don't care. But it's not complete shit.
#40 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Milkman said:

" @CL60 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @CptChiken said:
I LIKE IT SO YOU'RE WONG! WAAAAHHHHH!!!  Give it a rest, kid.  "
Really? The guy said "The only reason the game was good to watch was because of the commentary" and that's straight up wrong. Also saying "kid" at the end of what you're saying doesn't make you sound mature, it makes you sound like an idiot. 

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" It doesn't matter how good Alex is at the game.   That game is complete shit. Watching the AI get stuck in that corner in a sort of loop doing the same moves to eachother was evidence enough. "
It's not complete shit. You can not like the game, I don't care. But it's not complete shit. "
I can think what I want. And you can think what you want. I think the only reason the game was good because of the guys. 
#41 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

My problem with this game is that all the interactions looked terrible. Especially after seeing EA Sports MMA, where everything is smooth and rather nice for a lot of the game, and then here everything was herky and made it seem like they hadn't evolved the game engine since the 64, only going for graphics instead.

#42 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@CL60:  you're getting alot of negative responses and i'd like to offer a hug :P not from me but from this lady  

Enjoy !
#43 Posted by Interfect (979 posts) -
@CL60: A lot of things aren't nearly as bad as Alex makes them seem.
#44 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

So getting stuck in the corner against the stairs was totally Alex's fault because he couldn't figure out the game? 

Riiiiiiiight.  

#45 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -
@CL60:
Yes this is my opinion. My evaluation is that the game is complete shit. If you don't think so, then yay for you. 

#46 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said: 

@CptChiken said: 

I completely agree with this statement, without the commentary that would've been a painfully boring game to watch for me.  
#47 Posted by OneManX (1686 posts) -

Yeah... It's more Alex didn't how to play, then the game not being good. That Ladder Match was a pain to watch.

The game walks you through a lot of the moves before you even start the game, is the RtWm stuff wonky, yes, but you can just play the WWE universe mode and not have to deal with a ton of that stuff. 

It's easy to say it sucks when you have played NONE of the game, but I've played through the RtWM and I'm enjoying the WWE Universe mode. It's a new engine, new moves and new create a finisher stuff, to just simply write it off as it's the same as last year, is selling this game very short. 

It's funny to watch, yes... but still doing a disservice to the game.

#48 Posted by StrikerTheLizard (315 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
Yes, that is a bad sign. It's a bad sign of Alex's inability to play the game right.
#49 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4713 posts) -

The gameplay is good. It's Smackdown. This franchise has been running since 1999, so if you aren't on board by now then there's really no way you can get in on this. I suppose you could say it's pretty impenetrable if the first thing you do is jump into a match instead of learning the new controls and tweaks they've added (which is automatic as soon as you press start. The whole ring with the two wrestlers isn't for show). My gripes with Smackdown 2011 stem more from their absolutely bizarre structuring of feuds and title matches in Universe mode.  

That said, if EA wants to take a crack at a pro-wrestling game, then by all means. It'd probably be pretty spectacular.

#50 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@StrikerTheLizard said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
Yes, that is a bad sign. It's a bad sign of Alex's inability to play the game right. "
So you agree that it's a poor indication of Alex's ability to play the game, and more of a fundamental issue with the game itself? 

I don't actually care enough about the game to argue with you, and I have no idea why you would bump this thread. Just thought I'd make a smartass response.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.