2K Keeps Yukes as WWE Developer

#1 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3833 posts) -

Pending the court's approval of the agreement, Take-Two will publish future WWE video games that will be developed by Yuke's, which made THQ-published WWE titles for more than a decade.

Take-Two will hire THQ's WWE game production staff of about 20 employees, and form new agreements with WWE and Yuke's to produce future WWE games. The price paid by Take-Two for THQ's WWE assets was not disclosed in the court documents. Since Take-Two has not yet formed new contracts with WWE or Yuke's, it remains unclear if the company will release a WWE game in 2013 or if it will have the exclusive rights to the WWE license.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/13/3986288/wwe-2014-video-game-license-take-two-yukes-thq

So this is a huge bummer. Remember when people were happy about 2k buying the license? Maybe they should have actually wanted EA? Maybe this had to be?

Either way, I continue to avoid wrestling games going forward. Good work all around guys.

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -

Huh. I mean maybe EA didn't want the license. I would think WWE less money these days, anyway. And although violent, UFC is just more realistic than fake ass wrestling is. I think its even more sad that the Olympics wants to kill wrestling, That sucks.

#3 Posted by SupernormalStep (208 posts) -

The small hope left is that 2k as the publisher might lay down the law more on Yukes to make a quality game. THQ seemed to not be very hard on it's developers, which can be great in some ways, but it can also mean that broken games get put out. There's no way of knowing until the next game comes out, but 2k could hold it's reputation more dear than THQ did, and not let Yukes screw it up. In the end, we'll see what difference a different publisher makes.

#4 Posted by Milkman (16781 posts) -

#5 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Honestly, Yukes has like what, over a decade of WWE assets? It's probably cheaper for them to keep them as the developer.

Also this means VGCW can live on.

#6 Edited by Pr1mus (3904 posts) -

If this is just to pump one last WWE game for current gen system while they find a better developer to take over for next gen i guess it's alright.

If they intend to keep Yukes around for longer than that they done messed up.

#7 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3833 posts) -

@willthemagicasian said:

Honestly, Yukes has like what, over a decade of WWE assets? It's probably cheaper for them to keep them as the developer.

A decade of shit assets. Yayyyy..... And going into next gen when things need to be redone. In a one off, that TNA game looked and played better on a base level.

@supernormalstep said:

The small hope left is that 2k as the publisher might lay down the law more on Yukes to make a quality game. THQ seemed to not be very hard on it's developers, which can be great in some ways, but it can also mean that broken games get put out. There's no way of knowing until the next game comes out, but 2k could hold it's reputation more dear than THQ did, and not let Yukes screw it up. In the end, we'll see what difference a different publisher makes.

I hope you're right, but in the sports division, 2K is inconsistent. Sure you have NBA 2K, but you also have MLB 2K and NHL 2K which are mediocre. and NBA 2K, as much as I love it and as well as it does, has had glaring issues basically every year.

#8 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

While this news is a bummer, I was totally expecting this. It would've been really interesting to see what 2K would've been able to do. I miss the AKI wrestling type games.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11992 posts) -

That's both unexpected and kind of a bummer. I've had a ton of fun with the Yukes games in the past but they've been treading water for years. It's time to move on.

#10 Edited by cmblasko (1233 posts) -
I could think of a multitude of wrestling-related memes that are applicable in this situation, but I think this one is nice and concise.

#11 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@willthemagicasian said:

A decade of shit assets. Yayyyy..... And going into next gen when things need to be redone. In a one off, that TNA game looked and played better on a base level.

Played better? The TNA game played like trash.

#12 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3833 posts) -

@cl60 said:

@artisanbreads said:

@willthemagicasian said:

Played better? The TNA game played like trash.

I think it played better than the last few Yukes games from what I've played of them. Not high praise, but that's kind of the point.

And it certainly looked better, there is no question about that.

#13 Posted by icytower38 (464 posts) -

I saw this coming if Take Two went through with this but my god are they stupid... Part of me wonders if there was still something between WWE & Yuke's, I thought there was some serious bad blood there a few years back.

Please don't disappoint to much.

#14 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

Well I guess we can kiss the dream of a great wrestling game goodbye.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.