Love the new one, should I play this one?

#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

Title kinda says it all. I'm enjoying the hell out of the new game and it has naturally made me interested in the older ones. I understand they are hard as hell but do they stil stand up today? Especially with the new one out? Also curious on how the expansions are. The name terror from the deep just sounds amazing and horrible and makes me want to buy it

#2 Edited by ThunderSlash (1636 posts) -

I played the first one for the first time 2 years ago. I'd say go for it. Once you get used to the clunky ass interface, the game gets really good. Terror from the Deep is just a reskinned UFO Defense with actual working difficulty levels (the original had a bug that made it reset to the easiest once you finish the first combat mission I think?) and bigger maps (I recall a multistory cruise ship that was larger than any alien base in the first game). But I really like the Lovecraftian-esque design of the whole thing. There should be some fanmade hotfixes for the first one that allows it to not run on DOSbox as well (also speeding up the Alien turns, cus originally they were slow as hell). Look for it on the Steam forums.

Edit:

This was the fix I was talking about.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146530

#3 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

I HIGHLY recommend you go on youtube and watch some gameplay to know what you are getting into. Because although the aims are the same the differences in all other ways that it works are night and day. It's certainly less approachable and is notoriously difficult.

If you like Turn Based Strategy more than just the whole UFO-Alien concept, I highly recommend the more recent Silent Storm and then the older Jagged Alliance 2. I feel like both hold up better in the form of mechanics, control, UI, and that kind of thing. Both games are true classics in the genre and I think have more depth in their combat than XCOM EU, even if they lack some of the accessibility and ease of play that game has.

Don't mean to discourage you but just my opinion! I love the genre and found XCOM a little too dated even if I did appreciate the overall ideas.

Terror From the Deep is very cool and I do hope they adapt that for DLC, an expansion, a sequel or something for the new XCOM.

#4 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Yep.

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@Phatmac: Could you expand?
#6 Posted by Morningstar (2148 posts) -

Yes you should. It's cheap so it's not a huge investment. Just start it on one of the easier difficulty settings the first time =)

#7 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@ThunderSlash said:

I played the first one for the first time 2 years ago. I'd say go for it. Once you get used to the clunky ass interface, the game gets really good. Terror from the Deep is just a reskinned UFO Defense with actual working difficulty levels (the original had a bug that made it reset to the easiest once you finish the first combat mission I think?) and bigger maps (I recall a multistory cruise ship that was larger than any alien base in the first game). But I really like the Lovecraftian-esque design of the whole thing. There should be some fanmade hotfixes for the first one that allows it to not run on DOSbox as well (also speeding up the Alien turns, cus originally they were slow as hell). Look for it on the Steam forums.

Edit:

This was the fix I was talking about.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1146530

Cool thanks for that. Is it a pain to get it running through steam?
#8 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -
@Sackmanjones
@Phatmac: Could you expand?
Nostalgia and you'll know what your doing so it won't be as hard as it can be if you go in cold.
#9 Posted by ThunderSlash (1636 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: Nope, you just download it and run it from the Steam Library if you want it in its unpatched glory. And if you want to install the fanpatch, just follow the instructions in the link. The game could still be booted up as normally, through the Steam Library.

#10 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
@ThunderSlash: Thanks for the help! Im still thinking about it but if I do would you recommend picking up terror of the deep with it?
#11 Posted by ThunderSlash (1636 posts) -

@Sackmanjones: I'd say stick with the first one for now. That way if you find the first one not to your liking you won't be stuck with another copy of what's essentially the same game.

#12 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@ThunderSlash: Thanks for the help! Im still thinking about it but if I do would you recommend picking up terror of the deep with it?

Terror from the Deep is pretty much a reskin with a few tweaks and the difficulty turned up to 11. Just stick to the first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.