About to dive in

#1 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So the xcom pack on Steam is about 15 bucks and I ve been watching a lets play of it. And the games have peeked my interest however it seems they have little to no intro into the game as tutorial. As someone brand new to these gems of games any suggestions? Tips? tricks? Mods I should get? Should I play them in order? Go right to a certain one? 

#2 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -

Oh oh, who's let's play did you watch?

I wanted to dive in it after watching Kikoskia's Super-Human Antarctica challenge. That was awesome.

  
  


#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ESREVER said:
" Oh oh, who's let's play did you watch?
I wanted to dive in it after watching Kikoskia's Super-Human Antarctica challenge. That was awesome.

  
  


"
DAMN STRIGHT! Thats what ive been watching.


#4 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Here's my suggestion: play it on beginner. That makes things much mroe manageable. Oh, you think you can just go into X-COM on Veteran? Come crying to me when 90% of your men die, and you have to order more of them, only to see a UFO dick around while you have no way of utilizing them to their best.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Here's my suggestion: play it on beginner. That makes things much mroe manageable. Oh, you think you can just go into X-COM on Veteran? Come crying to me when 90% of your men die, and you have to order more of them, only to see a UFON dick around while you have no way of utilizing them to their best. "
My issue is I wont know what does what and when to sell what. 
#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Bump because I have no clue how to play these games! 

#7 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I was always limited by the lack of tutorial myself when I tried them back in the day after my time with Fallout 1/2. Luckily, I bought Ghost Recon Shadow Wars with my 3DS, which is as modern and consoley of an interpretation of the series can get.

#8 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2398 posts) -

from watching the videos it seems like stats are random. You can either buy directly or manufacture goods(such as guns). Interceptors are for dogfighting to weaken/takedown ships. The other ship is for transporting units to areas where you command them to fight aliens. Your pay is given based on how well you're protecting the world. You can also get money by collecting salvaged goods and selling them. Your base managment system allows you to keep goods, weapon systems, manufacturing areas, and living quarters in an area. In short: buy soldiers, guns, health and armor. then buy the room to hold this stuff. Use them to go kill aliens so that the world will pay you.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (12412 posts) -

A good idea is to look around the UFOpedia, that helped me a lot.

I don't believe it's worth bothering with anything beyond the second or third game though. Personally, I would start with Terror From the Deep; I thought that game was the better/most interesting of the two original games. If you do play the second one though, just watch out for the research bug (there's a bunch of info on avoiding the bug in the link above.)

Online
#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" A good idea is to look around the UFOpedia, that helped me a lot.I don't believe it's worth bothering with anything beyond the second or third game though. Personally, I would start with Terror From the Deep; I thought that game was the better/most interesting of the two original games. If you do play the second one though, just watch out for the research bug (there's a bunch of info on avoiding the bug in the link above.) "
I was thinking of doing my own lets play and bumbling though it

#11 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -

X-Com is a great game but it hasn't aged particularly well. It's a little clunky, it's got a steep learning curve and it's pretty damn hard. But it's one of those games in which losing is part of the fun since there are so many variables that pan out in so many crazy scenarios so don't be too surprised if you get fucked over in your first few games. Either way, if you ever do start a LP on it then I'm willing to watch.

#12 Posted by BeachThunder (12412 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" A good idea is to look around the UFOpedia, that helped me a lot.I don't believe it's worth bothering with anything beyond the second or third game though. Personally, I would start with Terror From the Deep; I thought that game was the better/most interesting of the two original games. If you do play the second one though, just watch out for the research bug (there's a bunch of info on avoiding the bug in the link above.) "
I was thinking of doing my own lets play and bumbling though it"
Just keep in mind that the game can go on for a long time. Also, I wouldn't say it's a great idea doing a let's play and just completely bumbling through it; some research into the game is a good idea, since it's fairly easy to fail if you don't have a relatively good idea of what you're doing. It took me 6 tries before I was able to actually finish Terror From the Deep.
Online
#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" A good idea is to look around the UFOpedia, that helped me a lot.I don't believe it's worth bothering with anything beyond the second or third game though. Personally, I would start with Terror From the Deep; I thought that game was the better/most interesting of the two original games. If you do play the second one though, just watch out for the research bug (there's a bunch of info on avoiding the bug in the link above.) "
I was thinking of doing my own lets play and bumbling though it"
Just keep in mind that the game can go on for a long time. Also, I wouldn't say it's a great idea doing a let's play and just completely bumbling through it; some research into the game is a good idea, since it's fairly easy to fail if you don't have a relatively good idea of what you're doing. It took me 6 tries before I was able to actually finish Terror From the Deep. "
Ive watched some lets plays of it and I think I got the basics down. 
#14 Posted by BeachThunder (12412 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" A good idea is to look around the UFOpedia, that helped me a lot.I don't believe it's worth bothering with anything beyond the second or third game though. Personally, I would start with Terror From the Deep; I thought that game was the better/most interesting of the two original games. If you do play the second one though, just watch out for the research bug (there's a bunch of info on avoiding the bug in the link above.) "
I was thinking of doing my own lets play and bumbling though it"
Just keep in mind that the game can go on for a long time. Also, I wouldn't say it's a great idea doing a let's play and just completely bumbling through it; some research into the game is a good idea, since it's fairly easy to fail if you don't have a relatively good idea of what you're doing. It took me 6 tries before I was able to actually finish Terror From the Deep. "
Ive watched some lets plays of it and I think I got the basics down.  "
Well, if you think you're fine, then, sure, go for it! :o
Online
#15 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

One last bump before I grab the games

Sadly I am having issues with my credit card. Its really sad when Terror from the deep and UFO defense is barely 10 bucks and my credit card is being stupid/ 


WOOT! 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.