Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X-COM

Franchise »

Defend the planet from an alien invasion as a part of the 'Extraterrestrial Combat Unit'.

Sequel to XCOM: Enemy Unknown rumoured?

• 76 results
    MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not since evra's goal against bayern munich have i gone so fast from joy to despair

unknown and within are brilliant on console in the top 5 games of all time for me

guess i can play it on my mac?

Yes, you can play it on a mac too. It's being ported to mac and linux. Here's the announcement XCOM 2 Accounced!

It also seems to be coming with Mod suppot, which sounds like it could be really cool considering what modders have done with the civ franchise.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i'm not happy about about the exclusive, but it looks awesome.

is controller support likely?

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By brandondryrock

Console owners get a small taste of what it is like to be a PC gamer. Most console games make their way to PC, but there are always a few that don't make it that I would love to play. It is nice to see the opposite with this game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

PC exclusive? The Hell? Didn't Enemy Unknown actually play better with a controller anyway? I really liked the first one (of the new series) so I'm pretty damn disappointed this one isn't coming to PS4. It probably will eventually, because what game doesn't come to everything these days. Still...

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

PC exclusive? That seems dumb. Maybe the console versions sold poorly? I dunno.

Truth be told I don't think PC or console would be best for this. I'd like it best on iOS where I could play while watching TV or doing other things. Or Wii U alternatively.

thom_hill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandondryrock said:

Console owners get a small taste of what it is like to be a PC gamer. Most console games make their way to PC, but there are always a few that don't make it that I would love to play. It is nice to see the opposite with this game.

I know this is the internet and all but it's pretty fucked up to think that.

I mean i would love pc peeps to play destiny spread the "joy"

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandondryrock said:

Speaking of Destiny I'm still shocked a big budget new FPS didn't come to PC. Really wanted to play that but I'm a PC only guy right now. But yeah, I don't agree with exclusives. I think everyone should have the ability to play anything on any console/PC as long as it's possible to port it. I am surprised this is going to be on PC only. It will probably come to consoles eventually, most do. My condolences to people with only consoles who were waiting for this.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandondryrock said:

I'm not saying that I'm happy console gamers don't get to play this game (although I'm sure it will make its way to consoles eventually). I was just saying that with all the games that are console exclusives, it is nice that this time around PC gamers aren't getting screwed.

Yeah, I would love Destiny on PC as well, along with the new Tony Hawk, the new PGA game, NHL, Halo, and plenty of other console games.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get how it's PC only unless they are that bad off with the financials but alright, I have a PC capable of playing it and I will get it if it brings us closer to the OG Xcom gameplay that was missing, or if it takes it a new fascinating genuinely great direction and improves on the 2012 Xcom.

I especially like this part of the PR blurb

XCOM: Enemy Unknown was named 2012 Game of the Year by the following outlets: GameTrailers, GiantBomb, and Kotaku.

"These three looked past the crashing broken issues it suffered from and gave it GOTY"

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this game looks graphically mind blowing, the PS4 could defiantly handle it. They should have taken the chance as did Cdprojectred with 1.5 million pre orders with 63% of copies sold being on the PS4...

Then again maybe console players nowadays don't buy strategy games.... I miss the FFT days.

domineeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

@yummylee: I'm pretty stoked it's PC exclusive, sounds like Firaxis is doing better mod support and if it is PC only they have more reason to perfect the PC controls and UI

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alkusanagi: yeah this will probably still be great, but maaaaaaaan...

Jeff's gonna be crushed :(

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I watched that trailer and was pretty excited for the idea of humans and aliens working together in radical future cities. Then the 'heroes' snuck into the scene and fired at a crowd of innocent people, which I'm sure is justified because aliens, and I sighed and realized it was gonna be another one of these stories. Holding out hope for a split campaign or something where I can play as cool aliens instead of terrorists.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone remember offhand if there was any weirdness to XCom's release on consoles? I want to say there was something odd or bad about the way Enemy Within was handled by either Xbox Live or PSN.

I'm personally excited about playing Xcom2 on PC. The premise could lead to an interesting strategy game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That premise!

Loading Video...

Welcome back, commander

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@domineeto: Yep, I certainly hope PC exclusive means that they'll iron out the various user experience issues of the previous game. If there's any company that knows how to make fantastic PC-exclusive games, it's Firaxis.
    I'm a little bummed that this isn't Terror From the Deep though.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

You guys are crazy if you think this will be exclusive forever. It's going to draw up the hype with the PC communities by saying shit like "THIS CAN ONLY BE POSSIBLE ON A PC", then a year from now rumors will begin to formulate about it coming to consoles and people will say "BUT THEY SAID IT WAS ONLY POSSIBLE ON A PC" and then E3 it will be at Sony's conference, after Brian Michael Bendis stammers for 25 minutes about Powers Season 2. The crowd will erupt into cheers. "XCOM IS FINALLY COMING TO PS4, PRE-ORDER NOW FOR AN EXCLUSIVE ENEMY UNKNOWN THROWBACK MAP". It will come out on PS4 and XBONE and be perfectly fine.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! Was not expecting that! And not that far off either!

I wonder if they will address the morality of being a resistance even a little bit (i.e. Battlestar Galactica)

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Modability, more than 4 maps, and snake men! Yay!

I enjoyed XCom, but it really made me yearn for the more complex X-Com. I always found it incredibly rewarding to mind control an alien, replace its guns with the corpses of its fallen friends, and then watch it panic when the mind control wore off...

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching the trailer and hearing guerrilla warfare has me envisioning Xcom with Jagged Alliance 2 mixed in and that sounds amazing. Plus Snakemen are back!. Also proceduraly generated maps! So excited!!!!!!!

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maluvin said:

Does anyone remember offhand if there was any weirdness to XCom's release on consoles? I want to say there was something odd or bad about the way Enemy Within was handled by either Xbox Live or PSN.

I'm personally excited about playing Xcom2 on PC. The premise could lead to an interesting strategy game.

I remember it worked far better on consoles and was stable, but that it sold as poorly one would expect a non-*craft RTS to have sold on console back in 2012.

domineeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@beachthunder: Yeah I think Jeff had the right idea with making it Terror from the Deep. That idea is just too good to pass up on so hopefully Firaxis or 2K has the sense to make a $20-30 Terror from the Deep standalone thing Blood Dragon style. At the very least modders will do it (I'm willing to bet 2K has paid mods planned for this as well)

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By KentonClay

@make_me_mad said:

I watched that trailer and was pretty excited for the idea of humans and aliens working together in radical future cities. Then the 'heroes' snuck into the scene and fired at a crowd of innocent people, which I'm sure is justified because aliens, and I sighed and realized it was gonna be another one of these stories. Holding out hope for a split campaign or something where I can play as cool aliens instead of terrorists.

I hope this comes up in the game at least. You're basically playing as insurgents in an occupied country fighting a far more technologically advanced enemy, and you seem to be using actual insurgent tactics. There are certainly some... parallels that can be drawn to modern world politics, and it would be a bummer if they never went into it at all.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maluvin said:

Are you thinking of the fact that Enemy Within came out as a standalone product rather than an expansion/DLC like it did on PC?

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomasnash: Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. I want to say that it was weird for Firaxis because they had to offer it that way and it was kind of a bummer for people who'd already bought Enemy Unknown at full price.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maluvin: Yeah it was a bit weird. But IIRC Enemy WIthin came out at a reduced price point to EU (£30 in the UK, I want to say?), and you had to start a new campaign to see the new content whatever platform you were on so it wasn't much different, really. I wouldn't be surprised if it hindered sales though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.