To X-Com or not to X-Com

#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11724 posts) -

Well, I've been thinking about it all day and I still can't come to a conclusion. I don't know if I should get the X-com games on Steam or not. It seems like I might like them, but I might end up playing the first game for 10 mins and then hating it and never touching any of the other games ever again :(

I guess the main thing that I've heard about the games is that they're extremely hard and insanely complicated. I don't want to give up because they're way too confusing and frustrating.

So I guess I have about an hour to decide before the sale ends. Help me Giant Bomb.

#2 Posted by rachelepithet (1350 posts) -

The way I saw it was, they're doing a Fallout 3 style reboot, you're gonna be hearing a lot of XCOM talk lately, and if the time wasted thinking "I wonder what those old XCOM games are like?" or "should I buy them" ends up amounting to more than 15 minutes, with a typical Cashier-wage job of say $8/hour, it would be cheaper to just buy them. 

Only, just get the original XCOM and the first sequel Apocalypse I think its called, they scored in the 8/10 range or better, then came a few mediocre cash-in sequels I guess, and then they changed the franchise name to "UFO Something". I'd say just get at least the original one for a buck twenty five or the two for $2.50.
#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11724 posts) -

Hm, well it's sort of about money but not; mostly I just don't want to buy a bunch of games that I won't end up playing. The first 3 games seem to be the best. But the other 2 games in the pack seem crappy - GameRankings has Interceptor at 70 and Enforcer at 65. I feel like I should just buy the first 3 games and not the other 2 for $3.72, instead of the whole pack of 5 for $3.74, but that just seems insane, yet I know I'd probably never want to touch those last 2 games. For some reason I think I would feel a lot more comfortable just getting the first 3 games even though it'd roughly the same price =/

#4 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" Hm, well it's sort of about money but not; mostly I just don't want to buy a bunch of games that I won't end up playing. The first 3 games seem to be the best. But the other 2 games in the pack seem crappy - GameRankings has Interceptor at 70 and Enforcer at 65. I feel like I should just buy the first 3 games and not the other 2 for $3.72, instead of the whole pack of 5 for $3.74, but that just seems insane, yet I know I'd probably never want to touch those last 2 games. For some reason I think I would feel a lot more comfortable just getting the first 3 games even though it'd roughly the same price =/ "
if that's the case. 2 cents and some hard drive space is not too much of a sacrifice IMHO.
#5 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -
@BeachThunder: I tried to play X-Com for the first time in years the other day (not that I really got into it back then either) and found the interface totally unbearable by today's standards.  I'm sure the gameplay still hold up, but just little things like no tool-tips and no mouse zoom drove me crazy after about 5 minutes.

UFO: Afterlight is worth checking out though, it's basically a modern-ish take on X-Com.  It's super cheap on Steam at the moment - I've been playing it for a week or so and I like it a lot.
#6 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Two ideas.

They're cheap as dirt, just get them.

OR

If you dislike complexity, just don't get them.  Big learning curve, IMO.  Not user friendly to a new person like a modern game.  Look up the game, Syndicate, if you want something similarly old, fun, but more approachable.

#7 Edited by BeachThunder (11724 posts) -

Sigh, this has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever done. I bought just the first 3 games and saved 2 cents :o

@Jimbo: @Aleryn: ok, I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for those games.

#8 Posted by gike987 (1751 posts) -

The first XCOM dosn't require steam. So if you want you can just copy the game files and run it on any computers that can run dosbox (or some other dos emulator).

@Aleryn: I remember Sydicate being harder than X-COM.

#9 Posted by skelom (46 posts) -

get them... xcom 1 & 2 are insanely good... they may feel a bit dated but once you get into it you wont want to put it down

#10 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@gike987 said:
 I remember Sydicate being harder than X-COM.
Syndicate was brutal and unforgiving, but X-COM I think brought more legitimate difficulty on superhuman... but everyone will have different opinions.
#11 Posted by BeachThunder (11724 posts) -

wtf, I don't even remember making this thread :o

Um, anyway, almost a year later, I can safely say that I am a huge fan of X-com (well, Terror From the Deep, at least, anyway). I started playing the first game and couldn't really get into it, but I thought I would still try to give the second game a go. As it turns out, that game ended up clicking with me a lot more than the first. After several attempts, I eventually ended up finishing TFTD; it was hard and complicated, but at the same time it was very rewarding :)

Thanks Giant Bomb :3

#12 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -
@BeachThunder
I remember me and my friends playing the first XCOM (called "UFO: Enemy Unknown" in Europe back then, which sounds much cooler!) and Terror From the Deep a LOT when we were young, and boy did we love those games. I recently picked both up on a Steam sale, and needless to say they still hold up as truly amazing games.

I really have high hopes in this next, modern take on the franchise, since the games released after the first two were utter shit. Although this new one seems to, as someone else said, "go Fallout 3" with the game, it seems they're still keeping some of the strategy stuff there. Building a base, free to choose missions, and stuff like that. I'm just scared it slipped away into nothingness, since it's been ages since we last heard any news about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.