Which X-Com should I buy?

#1 Posted by Daveyo520 (6674 posts) -

So with this new FPS coming out and it not being anything like the actual X-Com games I want to play one of the originals. They are all 5 bucks on Steam, but I only want to get the best one. So since I know nothing about X-Com, which is the "best" one and which should I get?

#2 Edited by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

Personally I'd go for the original one (the very first one.) It feels archaic now but it's still a great game.

#3 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

UFO Defense is the game that people think of when you say 'X-com'. That's probably the best place to start.

#4 Edited by Daveyo520 (6674 posts) -
@eroticfishcake:  Umm, which one is that? UFO Defense?

NVM it seems it is.
#5 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

The first one and Terror From The Deep are the best ones. The ones after those are fun but haven't got the same 'Oomph' as the first two had on me. Ofcourse, I was around when they first got released so I don't know how well they've aged for someone that's completely new to them. 

So I say get both and not just one of them.

#6 Posted by Daveyo520 (6674 posts) -
@Von: 
lol, I don't even know if I'd like any of them.
#7 Edited by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -
@Daveyo520: I'd suggest you start off with original for now. Terror From the Deep is pretty much the same except it's got a different theme and it's harder (as if the original wasn't hard enough.) At this stage it's hard to get into because it just feels so clunky. For a first timer, it's also overwhelming. But if you take the time to get used to the controls and gameplay it becomes incredibly rewarding. Not to mention that the game has got a great atmosphere.
#8 Posted by mracoon (4966 posts) -

UFO Defence would be my choice.

#9 Posted by Daveyo520 (6674 posts) -
@eroticfishcake:  Ya, I probably missed my window on these games sadly. But I will still give it a try, it couldn't hurt. I went back and played the old Fallouts years after their prime and didn't mind them, maybe it will be the same for these.
#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

From what I understand, the only two worth playing are UFO defense and Terror from the Deep.

#11 Posted by Daveyo520 (6674 posts) -

I think it has been decided that I will get UFO Defense.

#12 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -
@Daveyo520:  Well if you can tolerate Fallout at this stage then I guess it should be easier for you to get into X-Com. Just a little more though. Fallout aged pretty well but X-Com has not. The intro was awesome though and it still is. But yeah, go on and play them and see for youself. And if you're arsed, write a blog on it! I'll be interested in seeing how you'll find it.
#13 Posted by Daveyo520 (6674 posts) -
@eroticfishcake:  Maybe I will, but trust me it wouldn't be a good read :P
#14 Edited by TMThomsen (2071 posts) -
#15 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -
@Daveyo520: No matter how terrible it'll be there's bound to be someone who'll like it.

Or if you're feeling adventurous, record it. But that's pretty lofty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.