Is no news good news for X-Men Destiny?

  • 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by bartok (2464 posts) -

Allegedly this game comes out at the end of the month yet I have heard and seen very little about the actual game.  You would think people would be excited about an action-rpg based on the X-Men from Silicon Knights.  Too Human debacle aside, Silicon Knights has had a pretty solid track record.   As a comic book license, the X-Men franchise has had a better track record then a lot of other comics and the series seems to work well with the action-rpg genre.  
I had completely forgotten of this games existence if not for another website's forum pointing out the awesome pre-order deal with Amazon.  Is this a case of being over shadowed by what seems to be a crazy amount of high profile games coming out this holiday season?  Or is this Activision just trying to release what they think is a turd of a game with as little fanfare and hype as possible?  I love X-Men, action-rpgs, like Silicon Knights games not named Too Human, and think Activision has surprisingly done a decent job with the Marvel license.   Yet somehow I have heard almost nothing about this game since a trailer popped up around E3 of this year.

#2 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

Too Human was awesome.

Everything about X Men Destiny looks terrible. It has visuals on par with a PS2 game, and for some reason the developers thought it would be fine to play as three incredibly generic looking characters, rather than giving you the freedom to create your own custom mutant. I really don't know what they were thinking with the game. I'd bet it'll be massively delayed at the last minute though.

#3 Edited by bartok (2464 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind: I'll be honest I didn't hate Too Human but I didn't love it either.  There were some great concepts and gameplay decisions buried in a mediocre package at best.  If the video game review scale didn't equate anything below an 8 as complete garbage, I would say Too Human is a solid 6 or better yet 2 Stars on the verge of being 3.
#4 Edited by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

Everything about X Men Destiny looks terrible. It has visuals on par with a PS2 game, and for some reason the developers thought it would be fine to play as three incredibly generic looking characters, rather than giving you the freedom to create your own custom mutant.

pretty much this, hard to get excited about such a shitty looking game

#5 Posted by RedLycra (46 posts) -

Saw that one trailer and it looked terrible in a kind of impressive way.

That's not a good thing, by the way.

#6 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

I saw a bit of gameplay at PAX, it looked intriguing at best but with so many high profile games launching in the next few months and too many great games already sitting in my library waiting to get finished (ME2, Infamous 2, Dirt 3, AC:B, etc) I'm sure it'll fall by the wayside. At least for me.

#7 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

no it seems to be horrible

#8 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

Every preview I've read about the game has said it's not good.

#9 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The graphics look pretty dated, but I have no idea other than that.

#10 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2288 posts) -

I think Denis Dyack learned his lesson about hyping up a game and making promises about it before it comes out.

Too Human was supposed to be a 4 player co-op game where the right stick was used for melee (which was fun IMO) and the camera was being polished to where you wouldn't even need a camera button. The problem was that the camera was only ok most of the time so you wouldn't always be able to see the enemies, and with some of the classes being ones where you fly across the level meleeing robots, thats a problem and it can easily break your combo chain. The 4 player co-op, which was the biggest thing the game had going since there wasn't a lot of 4 player co-op games at the time, was hyped that the game was being built from the ground up specifically for it. Then right when the game went gold, they announced 4 player co-op was dropped down to just 2, redubbing the game "Two Human"

tl:dr Denis Dyack is like Peter Molyneueuuoueeux, he needs to not hype up his games with promises that aren't for sure implemented yet.

And yeah, I also haven't heard anything about this game, and noticed it was suppose to come out this month. I agree that a huge delay is more than likely to happen.

#11 Posted by Beyond_the_infinite (102 posts) -

Just watched a trailer...I dont understand is this a PS2 game? or just a port of one?

#12 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

This shit IS coming out whereas THQ Australia's Avengers game isn't. Typical.

FUCK.

#13 Posted by rbysjti (354 posts) -

For me, the game will be awesome! we have to think that this is not a game where we can play as our favorite characters. But play with them. The only thing i still find lacking is there are only a few characters or x-genes in the game compared to x-men legends 2. But they haven't revealed everything yet.So i think more x-genes will be unlocked as you play along.

here's a video that i've found that you may want to check.

They say the game will end between 5-8 hours per character depending on how you play it like if you don't want to explore. So that's like let's just say 15 hours of gameplay which is good. I didn't really expect this to last 10 hours . So more than 10 hours, i'm satisfied. : )

#14 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I heard it was 4 hours long

#15 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

I'm still waiting for Two Human. It'll be made some day! I'll be playing it with Shenmue III and Half-Life Episode 3! Someday!

Hm? What was this thread about again?

Moderator
#16 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

I'm still waiting for Two Human. It'll be made some day! I'll be playing it with Shenmue III and Half-Life Episode 3! Someday!

Hm? What was this thread about again?

rape
#17 Posted by Vonocourt (2125 posts) -

Like most games I try to remain positive 'till I get to give it a whirl, but yeah...This isn't looking so hot.

#18 Posted by DonChipotle (2716 posts) -

I have this on order. I'm not excited for it. It will probably be entirely mediocre. But I am going to play it and maybe even enjoy it. But if not, I'm selling it for the superior comics based video game out next month.

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

I'm still waiting for Two Human. It'll be made some day! I'll be playing it with Shenmue III and Half-Life Episode 3! Someday!

Hm? What was this thread about again?

rape

After looking at some footage of that game...I can't really disagree with that. What happened Silicon Knights? You used to be cool!

Moderator
#20 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5226 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
I heard it was 4 hours long
 Who told you?  WHO TOLD YOU!?
#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@kingzetta said:
I heard it was 4 hours long
Who told you? WHO TOLD YOU!?

Why did you have to mention something that has good games based on it? (At least recently.)

Moderator
#22 Posted by hanktherapper (377 posts) -

I could of sworn I heard Ryan McCaffrey on the OXM podcast saying the game wasn't much fun last month. I hope it turns out good.

#23 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos: There's a let's play of the whole game on youtube, and it's only 4 hours long.
#24 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@SethPhotopoulos: There's a let's play of the whole game on youtube, and it's only 4 hours long.

Was it Batman playing?

Moderator
#25 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

@SethPhotopoulos: There's a let's play of the whole game on youtube, and it's only 4 hours long.

Was it Batman playing?

it was calender man playing
#26 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@kingzetta said:

@SethPhotopoulos: There's a let's play of the whole game on youtube, and it's only 4 hours long.

Was it Batman playing?

it was calender man playing

Now I'm interested.

Moderator
#27 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5226 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@kingzetta said:
I heard it was 4 hours long
Who told you? WHO TOLD YOU!?

Why did you have to mention something that has good games based on it? (At least recently.)

Because good is better than bad?  I'd say Marvel has had better games overall over DC like the vs stuff and some of the Spider-Man games and even some of the X-men games.  And Ultimate Alliance was awesome.  Arkham Asylum probably outshines all the Marvel stuff even though Marvel's stuff is usually decent to good.  The Batman stuff is like the only thing DC has in terms of video games and possibly DC online when it goes free to play (which also has Batman in it.)
#28 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos: So far as I'm concerned, there are only two games that are based on comic bookjs: Batman Arkham Asylum, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. There will be a third releasing later this year.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Also, BATMAN.

Moderator
#29 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5226 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos: So far as I'm concerned, there are only two games that are based on comic bookjs: Batman Arkham Asylum, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. There will be a third releasing later this year.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Also, BATMAN.

I still play Spider-man 2 sometimes.
#30 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos: So far as I'm concerned, there are only two games that are based on comic bookjs: Batman Arkham Asylum, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. There will be a third releasing later this year.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Also, BATMAN.

wait Batman is in MVC3?
#31 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

The gameplay looks boring. 

#32 Posted by DonChipotle (2716 posts) -

This will probably be the worst blind purchase I make this year. Yippee!

#33 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5226 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos: So far as I'm concerned, there are only two games that are based on comic bookjs: Batman Arkham Asylum, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. There will be a third releasing later this year.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Also, BATMAN.

wait Batman is in MVC3?
If you pick the right colour for Wolverine...
#34 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@DonChipotle said:

This will probably be the worst blind purchase I make this year. Yippee!

if you buy it at either toy r us or kmart you'll get a $20 card
#35 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos: So far as I'm concerned, there are only two games that are based on comic bookjs: Batman Arkham Asylum, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. There will be a third releasing later this year.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Also, BATMAN.

I still play Spider-man 2 sometimes.

I never played Spider-Man 2, because I always hated those movies, and thus never wanted to play the accompanying game(s).

Moderator
#36 Posted by DonChipotle (2716 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@DonChipotle said:

This will probably be the worst blind purchase I make this year. Yippee!

if you buy it at either toy r us or kmart you'll get a $20 card

None of those stores are anywhere near me. I am not driving half an hour to buy this game when I can travel ten minutes to do so.

#37 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5226 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos: So far as I'm concerned, there are only two games that are based on comic bookjs: Batman Arkham Asylum, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. There will be a third releasing later this year.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Also, BATMAN.

I still play Spider-man 2 sometimes.

I never played Spider-Man 2, because I always hated those movies, and thus never wanted to play the accompanying game(s).

MAn I loved Spider-Man 2 game and film.
#38 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos: So far as I'm concerned, there are only two games that are based on comic bookjs: Batman Arkham Asylum, and Marvel vs. Capcom 3. There will be a third releasing later this year.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Also, BATMAN.

I still play Spider-man 2 sometimes.

I never played Spider-Man 2, because I always hated those movies, and thus never wanted to play the accompanying game(s).

MAn I loved Spider-Man 2 game and film.

I never played the game, so I can't disagree with that, but the movie...I'll just say the only kind words I have for it was that it's better than Spider-Man 1.

I wonder if the next Spider-Man movie will have a game based on it that plays like Mirror's Edge, because the trailer turns into Mirror's Edge. Which displeases me, because aside from that bit, that new Spider-Man movie looks pretty cool.

Moderator
#39 Posted by AlmostApollo (71 posts) -

My Best Buy broke the street date on this, but I decided not to be an idiot and so I didn't buy it.

#40 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

I heard from people that got early copies that the game tend to be a little short (trolls)... hopefully the campaign has a variety so there's something to comeback to

#41 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@clumsyninja1 said:

I heard from people that got early copies that the game tend to be a little short (trolls)... hopefully the campaign has a variety so there's something to comeback to

I watched a let's play of the whole game on youtube. It's four hours of punching dudes.
They are not trolls, your just in denial.
#42 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11613 posts) -

I just found out on the I Love Mondays that this was being developed by Silicon Knights. This is their first game in... 3 years? Didn't Too Human tank? How are they still in business?

#43 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (355 posts) -

Should make decent Quick Look I'd imagine...also had to watch the most recent Arkham City trailer as a palette cleanser...

#44 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

To be fair it looks like someone from SK has been in touch trying to hook him up, but that's never a good sign...

#45 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

After Too Human, which I hated, I have no hope for Silicon Knights. And I just replayed X-Men Legends, so there's no way in hell Destiny is going to stack up. The lack of news is usually because a dev knows the game will fail. And Spiderman Edge of time is getting more press than destiny, so marvel will be riding on that game.

I hate the fact that this game is looking terrible though, as I love X-men with an almost creepy passion, but silicon knights and I have an uneasy relationship, and Too Human had that fucking combat control mapping to the left thumbstick that pissed me off so much I refused to finish the game...so I'm heavily biased in both directions on this...I'm sad and happy at the same time...this can only get worse before it gets better...

#46 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I wouldn't dismiss it just now. I actually love X-Men Legends series. Even though it's a different developer, I still believe a superhero RPG is pretty cool. So let's just wait and see.

#47 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

I was interested when I thought I could create my own character.

Now that I know that that you can only choose what powers you give one of three incredibly generic looking defaults, I'm not interested.

#48 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

To be fair it looks like someone from SK has been in touch trying to hook him up, but that's never a good sign...

Sometimes it amazes me how gaming journalism even works.

#49 Posted by baron_calamity (240 posts) -

Ever noticed that sometimes Activision sends games out to die? With no hype, no ads, and no hands on previews. I'm getting that feeling with X-men Destiny.

#50 Posted by Floope (190 posts) -

Greg Miller didn't sound too pleased.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.