Is no news good news for X-Men Destiny?

• 63 results
#51 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@Meowshi said:

Sometimes it amazes me how gaming journalism even works.

I get the impression that Activision are hoping it doesn't in this case.

Aside from that, this game looks like a mish-mash of continuity, doesn't it? San Francisco setting taken from recent years in the X-Books, Cyclops and Emma Frost in charge... and Qucksilver in the Brotherhood? How does that work?

#52 Posted by huser (1082 posts) -

@bartok said:

Allegedly this game comes out at the end of the month yet I have heard and seen very little about the actual game. You would think people would be excited about an action-rpg based on the X-Men from Silicon Knights. Too Human debacle aside, Silicon Knights has had a pretty solid track record. As a comic book license, the X-Men franchise has had a better track record then a lot of other comics and the series seems to work well with the action-rpg genre. I had completely forgotten of this games existence if not for another website's forum pointing out the awesome pre-order deal with Amazon. Is this a case of being over shadowed by what seems to be a crazy amount of high profile games coming out this holiday season? Or is this Activision just trying to release what they think is a turd of a game with as little fanfare and hype as possible? I love X-Men, action-rpgs, like Silicon Knights games not named Too Human, and think Activision has surprisingly done a decent job with the Marvel license. Yet somehow I have heard almost nothing about this game since a trailer popped up around E3 of this year.

It's weird because the initial word about the project seemed to be pointing to character creation and being in charge of your destiny and whatnot....then we get these three lovely and inspired characters from all the options we could have had....

Oh well I keep waiting for another chance at an RPG set in the Xavier Institute and going from freshman to full fledged X-man and making friends and enemies along the way.

#53 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5263 posts) -

I've seen 25 commercials for the thing on TV today. I think they've started marketing it on TV today though.

#54 Posted by ahab88 (240 posts) -

I have a feeling this game will be pretty bad, but I'll play it when it inevitably drops to $20 in a couple of months. And, yeah, I kinda liked Too Human.

#55 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -
#56 Posted by Pudge (886 posts) -

@baron_calamity said:

Ever noticed that sometimes Activision sends games out to die? With no hype, no ads, and no hands on previews. I'm getting that feeling with X-men Destiny.

While this is true, the last game to get that treatment was Singularity, which was pretty damn good if not for the ridiculously bad ending and tacked on multiplayer.

Anyway, I have a wait and see attitude about this game. I'm hopeful it's trash considering the stack of games I already want to get through (and my inexplicable 5th play-through of Portal 2 I just started) , but I'm just as hopeful it's something I want to add to the stack.

#57 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5263 posts) -

@Pudge said:

@baron_calamity said:

Ever noticed that sometimes Activision sends games out to die? With no hype, no ads, and no hands on previews. I'm getting that feeling with X-men Destiny.

While this is true, the last game to get that treatment was Singularity, which was pretty damn good if not for the ridiculously bad ending and tacked on multiplayer.

Anyway, I have a wait and see attitude about this game. I'm hopeful it's trash considering the stack of games I already want to get through (and my inexplicable 5th play-through of Portal 2 I just started) , but I'm just as hopeful it's something I want to add to the stack.

A company can send things out to die regardless of quality.

Edit: Now I've seen the trailer 37 times on TV

#58 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Pudge said:

@baron_calamity said:

yeah Singularity was pretty good
#59 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -
#60 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -

I forgot that this game was coming out until I saw it in the Best Buy ad on Sunday.

#61 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5263 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Barrock said:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SOAL/news/?a=47077

5.5/10 on the nipple-o meter? What?

Not that I think this game is going to be good or anything, but this is a pretty questionable review.

Especially since it doesn't really go into depth on anything. It seems lazy as hell. Also nipple-o meter.

#62 Posted by penINC (136 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Barrock said:

Not that I think this game is going to be good or anything, but this is a pretty questionable review.

Especially since it doesn't really go into depth on anything. It seems lazy as hell. Also nipple-o meter.

So strange nipple.

#63 Posted by Krummey (198 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Barrock said:

Dude couldn't even get the developer right. Considering my ridiculous backlog, a four hour Xmen game might not be the worst thing in the world...when it goes on sale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.