Quick early impressions, since there are zero reviews out there

#1 Posted by indieslaw (455 posts) -

These are the impressions that had me returning this game two hours after rental. It could be amazing after the two hour mark. But there were enough problems to turn me away.

This game is mad ugly, and really derivative of God of War in the combat, at least in the early parts of the game. Maybe it changes up later? I don't know since I've already shoved this thing back in the Redbox.

Super stilted dialogue/acting. The dialogue trees are unintuitive, and act as specific examples of pretty shitty UI, as well as somewhat offensive shades of yellow.

But, nothings really broken. If you're really into the Xmen, maybe you'll get something from it. Just don't pay attention to the walk cycles of the Purifier character (forgot his name already).

In fact, don't pay attention to the game, and you'll do fine. Walk on by.

#2 Posted by musclerider (633 posts) -

@videorob said:

In fact, don't pay attention to the game, and you'll do fine. Walk on by.

Done and done.

#3 Posted by Chris2KLee (2392 posts) -

Shame, been hoping for a good single player Superhero RPG. But I wasn't expecting much from the studio that brought us Too Human.

#4 Posted by Masha2932 (1331 posts) -
#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

I never expected this to be anything decent, but I also never expected it to be this bad.

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4157 posts) -

When they started talking about this game and said you couldn't actually create your own mutant and instead were given the choice to pick one of three mad generic mutants from that trailer I knew this was shitty Silicon Knights "do a half-ass job of a barely conceived concept and hope it sells enough."

#7 Posted by TorzorXx (2 posts) -

I already beat this game, wasn't worth the $60. Poor job at story telling and the choices you make don't seem like they will really change the story too much. Seems like it wanted to be one of those Bioware gems, but fell completely on its face. I hope the Spider-man game coming out next week is a whole lot better. But will probably wait on the reviews and what others say before I pick it up.

#8 Posted by Downsize (144 posts) -

On Chapter 4. I'm liking it. Looks like I'm the only one. Nice break from a weeks worth of Gears of War 3 playing.

#9 Posted by indieslaw (455 posts) -

@masha2932 The review that says this game feels like an hd remake of a last gen game is pretty spot on.

#10 Posted by Gonmog (643 posts) -

its not to bad really, id say that if you like beat em ups, chances are you'll find something to like in this.3 stars from me. Not the best but far from the worst. The voice acting sometimes shines, the story is...alright, the powers you can get are sorta cool looking, worth a rental if a fan of the xmen or beat em ups.

#11 Posted by Orange_Pork (638 posts) -

This game's actually a shit ton of fun. Ugly as hell, but a nice hack and slash that'll last until games start coming out next month.

#12 Edited by rentfn (1374 posts) -

Yeah I am going to wait a month or two till this game is twenty bucks. It's sad too, I flippin love the X-Men and was hoping this game would be great.

#13 Posted by ProfessorEss (7651 posts) -

When I see the name Silicon Knights, I keep walkin'.

#14 Posted by fazzle (319 posts) -

@denshuu said:

This game's actually a shit ton of fun. Ugly as hell, but a nice hack and slash that'll last until games start coming out next month.

Or for about 4-5 hours.

I rented and beat it last night, while it's not AWFUL, it's definitely nowhere near good either. Ugly and simplistic, but it has enough going for it to keep you there for the whole game. Granted that's not exactly a whole lot though.

#15 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5742 posts) -

City of Heroes is free to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.