Steer Clear...Seriously

#1 Edited by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

So I rented this game last night, "why not" I figured. Three hours later, into what I am told is over 1/2 of the game's length, I answered my own question. Why not? Well, fellow duders, because it's complete garbage. Typically I don't treat games that harshly... there's something for everyone, right? Silicon Knights and Activision actually had the balls to put a game in this condition out. Bugs and glitches? Think in the vein of the technical problems Fallout New Vegas had except there are no redeeming qualities to be found in the game's story or mechanics. As mentioned in another post the graphics are literally sub par, even for many budget titles. The voice acting is cringe worthy at best. Example? Gambit has a Jamaican accent. How do you screw that up?

The writing is hands downs some of the most laughable dialogue since the golden age of the PS1 era. There for a good 30 minutes I thought an entire area of NPCs were hitting on me as how they would seductively (clumsily) talk to me about my "package" (which to be fair I was holding a package...of some kind). I fell through the geometry in four completely different spots, the game would freeze on the loading screen, the game would hard lock up during game play causing me to reboot the entire console, at times all the NPCs in a scripted sequence would just stop moving and stare at me only to allow the game to freeze up after I killed everyone. I felt as if this was the game falling asleep from boredom only to jolt back awake and then freak out about what had happened during its snooze.

The writing in the game, as mentioned previously, is laughable at best. Since there are 3 characters to choose from: jock, racist, anime girl who wears a ridiculously obnoxious "hey I stand out all the time" scarf that covers half her face for no reason...you know, video game archetypes. Well, all these people are hanging out at a "Mutant/Human Lets Get Along" rally. How does the game let you know you that the one guy is a jock? Well, he's just randomly walking around a rally in the middle of SF just tossing a football in the air...you know, jock stuff. Also, the kid whose dad was a racist against mutants apparently screwed his kid up so much he made him get some sweet ink. Also, the kid still hears his dad's voice. #CharacterDevelopment

You can't have a racism analogy without Japanese schoolgirl mutants.

Wanna know how deep the "morality" system is?

Which seat will I take?

Yup, that's right duders...it boils down to basically "Yo gambit, I'll take the bottom option". Typically this doesn't matter as you are typically fighting alongside both factions at the same time. Awesome. Just like any other game that has no real respect for your choices you can change your mind at the end of the game and completely negate everything you've done previously...mutants are fickle apparently.

Combat is nothing more than basic brawler 101: heavy punch, fast punch, and WHOA CRAZY PUNCH! To say this has anything to do with an RPG is a stretch as the "XP" system is the same as upgrading weapons in God of war. Sure you can choose which "powers to have", but they are all borderline along the same thing (at least from what I could tell from trying most of them out).

This feels bad, like "licensed movie game we had 1 year notice to make" bad. If you feel that you HAVE to play this game, at least make a drinking game out of it or something...and rent it. I feel that this is some sort of karma for Dennis Dyack in the end with his whole Too Human tirade years ago (see anytime he was ever on a 1UP podcast). This game feels as if it was supposed to be cancelled but we are in some super secret club that still gets to play those, and we also talk about each other's "feelings". I am done with the single player pretty much, but I might actually try to write a meaningful review when I'm done...I didn't ask for this.

#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

I keep wondering how its freaking possible to have a tried and true franchise turn out to be such a horrible game.

Reskin Kratos with Wolverine and you got a great game ( oh wait, they did that and it was more then decent), but instead Marvel lets them make a crap game?
Do they have like zero quality control? I cannot fanthom how shit games from popular things keep getting made.
My head is just full of fuck right now.

*goes back to playing X-Men Legends 2*

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5391 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I keep wondering how its freaking possible to have a tried and true franchise turn out to be such a horrible game.

Reskin Kratos with Wolverine and you got a great game ( oh wait, they did that and it was more then decent), but instead Marvel lets them make a crap game?
Do they have like zero quality control? I cannot fanthom how shit games from popular things keep getting made.
My head is just full of fuck right now.

*goes back to playing X-Men Legends 2*

I don't think Marvel has to much control in Activision's adaptations. Though I don't work there so I don't know.

#4 Posted by BleedingStarX (283 posts) -

Hmm shame really as I was looking forward to this. I think I'll play this in work and pass on a buy. MUA will always be my favourite Marvel RPG

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos: Come on, they'd see what a pile of crap this is (or others were) and how this will ruin the name and fate for an (inevitable) upcoming marvel/x-men game.
I'm also not sure how this all goes behind the scenes but this is just wasted money.
#6 Edited by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

I was shocked, literally shocked at how bad this was. I honestly had the feeling it was going to be bad since it feels like it's a stealth release. I was well aware of the game's existence but its almost as if they decided last week the game was going to come out now. Perhaps it was over budget, Activision saw the game and figured it was better to release it and count their losses, or maybe Dennis Dyack really convinced somewhere at Activision that they were just "part of the problem" and they let it slide through.

@TaliciaDragonsong: it really is a waste, you're right. I honestly think playing any copy of x-men legends 2 (even on PSP) is more satisfying than this...that game was pretty badass!

#7 Posted by Floope (194 posts) -

Is this too human with mutants? Is there a loot system? Do the actual heroes at least act like they should, voices aside?

#8 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5391 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@SethPhotopoulos: Come on, they'd see what a pile of crap this is (or others were) and how this will ruin the name and fate for an (inevitable) upcoming marvel/x-men game.

What?

#9 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@RobbleWobble: There really isn't much much personality in the characters in the game. You merely get the standard "oh this guy is an x-man...I guess he's good" type stuff. No, it's not really like too Human. light attack, heavy attack, block, and then a couple of mediocre powers depending on your starting set. The basic idea behind this game is interesting...everything after the idea written on the napkin is terrible.

#10 Posted by MatPaget (1112 posts) -

@Sammo21: X-Men Legends 2 for the PSP is known by a lot of people as the best version of the game.

#11 Posted by baron_calamity (240 posts) -

Activision really needs to lose its Marvel license over this game.

#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

What?

Sorry, just saying Marvel should do a little more quality checking, this is bad for their name.
#13 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i was hoping this would be some what good but i guess that was too much to hope for. Amazing this piece of shit and Arkham City come out in the same year

#14 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Guy at work was psyched about this. And I was wondering why I'd never heard about it. I guess, question answered.

#15 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -

I was really excited about this game (as you can probably tell by my username) I might still have to play it but I'm pretty disappointed.

#16 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

The game looked good the first time I saw screenshots.

I've been watching a few playthrough videos, and yeah, this game is a rental from Redbox for me. Maybe

#17 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5391 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

What?

Sorry, just saying Marvel should do a little more quality checking, this is bad for their name.

Yeah they should.

#18 Posted by CornBREDX (5959 posts) -

Makes me miss the XMen legends games that I cant get to work on XBox 360 :(

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11378 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

What?

Yeah they should.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is pretty good guys. So good they're releasing it again....[curses Capcom under my metaphorical breath]

#20 Posted by Neezie (129 posts) -

Woah guess it's a good thing my copy I got from gamefly DOESN'T WORK.

#21 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5391 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

What?

Yeah they should.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is pretty good guys. So good they're releasing it again....[curses Capcom under my metaphorical breath]

Capcom ain't Acivision. But they still love money. I hope they reward people for buying the Beta.

#22 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11378 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

What?

Yeah they should.

Capcom ain't Acivision. But they still love money. I hope they reward people for buying the Beta.

They are! We're getting free costumes! Surely that makes up for paying them $60 to try and show support for a long dormant franchise only to have them release a way better version less than a year later at a lower price! [still cursing Capcom]

And yeah. Activision. They should put that Venetian Blinds sunset in more games. I'd buy Modern Warfare 3 is that was the sky in every level.

Forgive the watermark. Too lazy to remove it.

#23 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -
@Neezie Yeah my copy I rented hardlocks even at menus.
#24 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

For some reason I read the title as Clear Steer.

Nothing to see here. Moov along.
#25 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

I've decided to take a video with my iphone everytime the game messes up until I beat this second playthrough.

#26 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

@Sammo21: That's dedication. I would like to see the results, although it makes me sad that Silicon Knights has declined so horribly.

#27 Posted by BisonHero (7021 posts) -

@Sammo21 said:

I've decided to take a video with my iphone everytime the game messes up until I beat this second playthrough.

I endorse this brilliant idea.

Have you ever had the issue that one guy on YouTube had where the game starts loading in the textures since it's Unreal Engine 3, but then they never progress past the first muddy, blurry stage, so tons of walls and floors have like PS1 quality textures?

http://www.giantbomb.com/x-men-destiny/61-32853/did-silicon-knights-forget-to-add-textures-to-this-game-good-god/35-516636/

#28 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I was excited for no reason. There's so much they could have done with this game.

#29 Posted by shadystx (182 posts) -

Silicon Knights was once upon a time very highly thought of as a top quality developer, The the too human fiasco happened which to be fair is not a terrible game, I have recently just rented too human and their is some neat parts to it and it's a 6.5 game IMO which is ok for a rental, It's not a piece of trash.

But some parts of Too Human are just trash, Watching videos of their new x-men game I get the feeling SK found the transition into next generation impossible, The art assets they have produced for Too Human and X-Men look like a PS game up-scaled , Camera controls in TH remind me of poor quality 3d games back in the PS1 era, Maybe the camera controls came from a build back then since too human was in development back in those days.

And for them to blame epics unreal engine was a joke, I do not know the specifics but what i do know is a lot of developers managed to build very good games using the first build of epics unreal engine so why could SK not do it.

It be funny if Dyack was still lurking around forums as a few years ago he would have been all over this topic blaming the games press and being a dick, He constantly made out as if too human was some sort of hybrid revolution and while it has some cool features and a story I am enjoying so far it's production values and most game mechanics are from last generation and from bad last gen games.

I was hoping they would redeem themselves with this x men game but its clear SK are off my radar as a good development studio.

What bugs me about devs making poor comic games is they already have loads of awesome material to use, Great story's to go off, combat for characters like their special abilities etc. already created, great art etc.. etc.. and they still manage to screw it up.

If other devs/pubs followed rocksteadys lead we could be loads of awesome super heroes games, it's a shame.

#30 Posted by PrinceGumball (17 posts) -

Suffering from buyer's remorse!

This game is garbage :(

#31 Posted by Neezie (129 posts) -

@Sammo21: Mine didn't even make it to the menu. It either was "unreadable", which doesn't make sense because it is a new disc in perfect condition, or gets stuck on a black screen until I turn my xbox off. I sent it back, I don't care enough to deal with that.

#32 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@Neezie: I have had many issues like there, but never an unreadable message. I'll have things like the game freezes mid-cutscene or will hard lock when I go into the menu for powers. This game isn't easy or anything, but I think I refuse to play anymore. I think I am just going to take this bad boy back to the rental store and see if maybe Dead Island is in.

#33 Edited by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait wait.

You're telling ME that a studio whose magnum opus was regarded as underwhelming buggy garbage made ANOTHER game that is underwhelming buggy garbage?

Why do they let these people keep making games?

#34 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@Ravenlight: Because Dennis Dyack got the Canadian government to give his studio, Silicon Knights, tons of money and because they can ride of the coat tails of one pretty awesome (and dated) game.

I agree with what you say by the way :p

@BisonHero: I had that issue with a few games, you see it all the time in the first Mass Effect, Gears of War, and Gears of War 2. Gears of War 3, surprisingly, hasn't had that happen one time with me.

#35 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@Hellstrom: Not to mention he's walking around a mutant/human peace rally flipping a football in the air acting like he's not sure why he's here or what's going on. I have a feeling Dyack isn't going to say 1 word about this game like he has in the past.

#36 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

I unfortunately love superhero based games so I will either buy it when I see it used for $15 or will rent it from the local video store because they tend to stock lots of terrible games.

#37 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@ImpendingFoil: If you like this game...I just don't know; it says nothing positive. $15 for this game is overpaying as you are buying a broken and unfinished product.

#38 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

@Sammo21: I probably will end up thinking at best it is a 7/10. My love of the superheroics is great, but a shit game is still a shit game.

#39 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@ImpendingFoil: .... 7/10? You're about 6 points off.

#40 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

@Sammo21: haha, now I have to place this game.

#41 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@ImpendingFoil: I'm glad your time isn't valuable.

#42 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I dunno, from the quick look I may actully pick that up when it gets cheaper. I like the X-Men and stupid easy arena fighters, and hey, Wolverine.

#43 Edited by Hellstrom (199 posts) -

LOL at this user review.

Marvel fanboy alert! He seems to blame the negative reviews on unsatisfied X-men fans........I honestly can't believe people like this exist sometimes.

#44 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@Hellstrom: I'm surprised so many people have so much disposable time and income that they will knowingly play a completely broken game when there are plenty of legitimately stellar games not getting enough people to play them.

#45 Posted by BleedingStarX (283 posts) -

We'll I bought it and I am finding it pretty enjoyable so far. Just handed the serum to Gambit (because he's awesome). Haven't really unlocked any of my main interest powers (Gambits, Iceman etc) but so far I am really enjoying the game

#46 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

Just finished about 1.5 hour play session with fewer bugs, but the audio glitches and weird graphical issues persist. Kind of surprised there isn't a patch out for some of this stuff, but they may have already turned their back on it.

#47 Posted by matrix_hiei (143 posts) -

I played it for around 10 minutes at PAX. That was more than enough for me to hate this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.