Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X-Men

Franchise »

The X-men comic book series has inspired games since 1989, on the NES and since then they have been featured in at least 31 games, spanning several different consoles and handhelds.

Another Brian Wood Interview on all-female roster X-Men Comicbook

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jhazzroucher
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jhazzroucher

so nobody here likes the book?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Dude, I think you're looking for ComicVine.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheHumanDove

Looks alright, but I don't really do the comic thing. Also attractive depictions of women are frowned upon on giantbomb

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jhazzroucher

alright. i was thinking somebody might get interested, especially the teamwork of the brilliant writer Wood and excellent artist Coipel, and the new line-up, all female team which the focus will be on Jubilee and mohawk Storm will be leading.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Kinda hard to call it X-Men if there are no dudes, don't you think?

@TheHumanDove said:

attractive depictions of women are frowned upon on giantbomb

Also this.

Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Bogitt

Seriously? It's been seven hours since this thread was created and still no one has mentioned Naked Cartoon Pussy? I am disapointed in you Giant Bomb.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

X-23 or bust.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By iceman228433

Like the guy above me said X-23 or bust.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By jacksukeru

Oh right they rebooted everything didn't they? Good. Last time I read up on stuff on Comicvine Jubilee was a vampire and dressed in all black and stuff, so this is neato. I mean sure it's not like I usually read comics, but I'm not opposed to trying it out if it's focused on Jubilee.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@jhazzroucher: I'm pretty interested in this book, mostly based on the creative team behind it. If there's one writer that you can count on to write really strong female characters, it's probably going to be Brian Wood. The New York Four and its sequel, The New York Five, have some of the most well-written and realistic depictions of female young adults that I have read in a comic book/graphic novel, and I've heard he has been doing really well on his other books as well, Marvel and otherwise. Olivier Coipel also happens to be one of my favorite artists at Marvel; he remains pretty much THE reason I read the Siege event a couple years back. I like his style, and he manages to not draw male characters as being too hulking or muscular and female characters as hyper-sexualized or "cheesecakey," if you will.

However, I'm not necessarily chomping at the bit for the premise of the book, though that is not to say that I am in any way against it. I'm no doubt going to disappoint you (considering your profiles on both Giant Bomb and Comic Vine, as well as the existence of this thread on the decidedly less-comic-book-centric of the two) by saying that I don't really care all that much about Storm and that I find the return to her Mohawk hairstyle to be a bit gimmicky (not to mention that how they actually went about cutting her hair didn't strike me as all that natural or enticing, what with Wolverine dicing up her hair with his claws and then immediately making out with her). I might be wrong, especially to those who really like Storm, but it seems like the return to that hairstyle seems more like sheer fan-service than anything. Again, I could be wrong. Now, that's not to say that I dislike Storm in any way, and I understand why people like her, but she's not one of my favorite characters, and her inclusion in a book or on a team alone isn't really a reason why I would pick up a book.

As for the rest of the team, I like Kitty Pryde, which is mostly thanks to Joss Whedon and his run on Astonishing X-Men, as well as Ellen Page (one of the only things I found tolerable about the third film). I feel the same way that I feel about Rogue and Psylocke as I do with Storm; I think they're fine as characters, and I have to say that I liked Rogue and Storm in the old Fox Kids cartoon from the 90s (and X-Men Evolution), but they're not really book-sellers for me. I also haven't read Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Men, so I haven't had that much of an attachment to Psylocke recently. And I haven't really read anything in which Rachel Summers played a significant role.

Now, I think the inclusion of Jubilee is a bit interesting. She hasn't really been used much lately, and the last I checked, she was still a vampire (which I really didn't like; I was not really sold on the whole "X-Men vs. Vampires" angle that they ginned up for that Curse of the Mutants storyline). Is she still a vampire? I also thought she lost her powers after the House of M thing, so I'm not really sure what her status is as either a mutant or a vampire. Still, I liked Jubilee in the Fox Kids cartoon (though, at least in that, she was very clearly a product of the 90s), and it'd be cool to see her used in any meaningful capacity again.

That said, color me interested in this book. I might just end up picking it up. Again, it comes down to the creative team. If there's a writer that can craft strong characterizations for these characters and tell exciting stories about and around them right now, and can outright make me care about Storm even a fraction as much as you clearly do, then it's probably Brian Wood. And I really like Olivier Coipel, so the art alone might be a big reason to pick this up.

So there you go. You wanted somebody to express interest about the book on here, so there are my thoughts.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#12  Edited By Kidavenger

Mohawk Storm is my favorite Storm by far.

Not a fan of Jubilee, I'd drop her for Polaris or even Dazzler.

Why is Shadowcat back to being a little girl?

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By crazyleaves
    @jhazzroucher I think it's fucking rad that they brought back the mohawk Storm, we cool here?
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jhazzroucher

@ahgunsillyo said:

@jhazzroucher: I'm pretty interested in this book, mostly based on the creative team behind it. If there's one writer that you can count on to write really strong female characters, it's probably going to be Brian Wood. The New York Four and its sequel, The New York Five, have some of the most well-written and realistic depictions of female young adults that I have read in a comic book/graphic novel, and I've heard he has been doing really well on his other books as well, Marvel and otherwise. Olivier Coipel also happens to be one of my favorite artists at Marvel; he remains pretty much THE reason I read the Siege event a couple years back. I like his style, and he manages to not draw male characters as being too hulking or muscular and female characters as hyper-sexualized or "cheesecakey," if you will.

However, I'm not necessarily chomping at the bit for the premise of the book, though that is not to say that I am in any way against it. I'm no doubt going to disappoint you (considering your profiles on both Giant Bomb and Comic Vine, as well as the existence of this thread on the decidedly less-comic-book-centric of the two) by saying that I don't really care all that much about Storm and that I find the return to her Mohawk hairstyle to be a bit gimmicky (not to mention that how they actually went about cutting her hair didn't strike me as all that natural or enticing, what with Wolverine dicing up her hair with his claws and then immediately making out with her). I might be wrong, especially to those who really like Storm, but it seems like the return to that hairstyle seems more like sheer fan-service than anything. Again, I could be wrong. Now, that's not to say that I dislike Storm in any way, and I understand why people like her, but she's not one of my favorite characters, and her inclusion in a book or on a team alone isn't really a reason why I would pick up a book.

As for the rest of the team, I like Kitty Pryde, which is mostly thanks to Joss Whedon and his run on Astonishing X-Men, as well as Ellen Page (one of the only things I found tolerable about the third film). I feel the same way that I feel about Rogue and Psylocke as I do with Storm; I think they're fine as characters, and I have to say that I liked Rogue and Storm in the old Fox Kids cartoon from the 90s (and X-Men Evolution), but they're not really book-sellers for me. I also haven't read Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Men, so I haven't had that much of an attachment to Psylocke recently. And I haven't really read anything in which Rachel Summers played a significant role.

Now, I think the inclusion of Jubilee is a bit interesting. She hasn't really been used much lately, and the last I checked, she was still a vampire (which I really didn't like; I was not really sold on the whole "X-Men vs. Vampires" angle that they ginned up for that Curse of the Mutants storyline). Is she still a vampire? I also thought she lost her powers after the House of M thing, so I'm not really sure what her status is as either a mutant or a vampire. Still, I liked Jubilee in the Fox Kids cartoon (though, at least in that, she was very clearly a product of the 90s), and it'd be cool to see her used in any meaningful capacity again.

That said, color me interested in this book. I might just end up picking it up. Again, it comes down to the creative team. If there's a writer that can craft strong characterizations for these characters and tell exciting stories about and around them right now, and can outright make me care about Storm even a fraction as much as you clearly do, then it's probably Brian Wood. And I really like Olivier Coipel, so the art alone might be a big reason to pick this up.

So there you go. You wanted somebody to express interest about the book on here, so there are my thoughts.

Awesome post here. : ) Thank you so much.

And you're not the only one. A lot of people are getting this because of the team-up between Wood and Coipel, the brilliant writer and the excellent artist.

@crazyleaves said:

@jhazzroucher I think it's fucking rad that they brought back the mohawk Storm, we cool here?

sure we are! : )

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.