Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X-Men

Franchise »

The X-men comic book series has inspired games since 1989, on the NES and since then they have been featured in at least 31 games, spanning several different consoles and handhelds.

Wood's X-Men #1 is number 1 in comic sales for May 2013

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that is insanely surprising.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

What?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea what this means, but good on them =)

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jhazzroucher

Read the article link. : )

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JasonR86

I did. Maybe I'm dense but the 'thing' that makes this a big deal isn't standing out to me. Is it because they are all women? Is that the 'thing'?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jhazzroucher

@jasonr86 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

I did. Maybe I'm dense but the 'thing' that makes this a big deal isn't standing out to me. Is it because they are all women? Is that the 'thing'?

Prolly. Because a female comic or female team comic doesn't usually sell well.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JasonR86

@jasonr86 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Probably? You mean you don't know?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@jasonr86 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

uncertain.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JasonR86

@jasonr86 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@jasonr86 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

uncertain.

So...this thread is a real thread huh? For discussion and what not?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@jasonr86 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@jasonr86 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

@jasonr86 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

uncertain.

So...this thread is a real thread huh? For discussion and what not?

Maybe he meant to post it on Comic Vine, a website aimed at people who like comic books?

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nice. I enjoyed the first issue and plan on picking up the second one. Brian Wood is one of the best writers in the industry when it comes to writing believable female characters, and he has picked a pretty stellar cast for this book. That being said, I thought a couple of Kitty's lines were a bit much and slightly out of character (she literally says "OMG" twice), but the rest is pretty enjoyable, and I'm interested to see where the story goes from here and, perhaps more importantly, where he takes the characters.

However, I did hear something, I forget where, about the politics of the art in this book that made me feel kind of bad (basically, David Lopez and Terry Dodson are the regular rotating artists on this book, but they got Olivier Coipel to draw the first three issues because they at Marvel wanted to launch the book with "A-list" talent). That may not necessarily be accurate, but if it is, that is a rather cynical way of going about things. It worked, though, obviously. Even I will admit that I was more interested than I probably would be otherwise because of Coipel's involvement with the book (though, to be fair, I also followed Wood and Lopez's similar previous run on the adjectiveless X-Men about a year or so ago, at least before the creative teams started getting all wonky and they both ended up leaving the book).

If anything, though, I would have preferred Lopez to have been the sole artist on the book, as I think his art style is more fitting to the book that Wood is writing. I don't like the whole "rotating artists on our twice-monthly books" thing that Marvel is doing, especially when the styles of the artists are as disparate as those of Lopez and Dodson. But then, I also have a problem with the whole "twice-monthly books" thing that Marvel is doing NOW!, especially since those twice-monthly books cost $3.99.

Also, regarding the advance orders article and on the other end of the Big Two spectrum, The Wake is another pretty interesting book that came out the same day as X-Men #1 and one that people should check out. Scott Snyder is one of the best writers at DC right now and has solid roots at writing horror and suspense, and Sean Murphy has a unique and detailed art style that should really complement the mood of the story. Underwater mystery and monsters!

Both The Wake and X-Men had great debut issues and were some of the most enjoyable comics I read last month.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite of being released on May 29, the comic managed to top the charts for the month of May with over 177,000 copies. : )

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jhazzroucher: If your post isn't videogame related, please put it in the OFF TOPIC section. If you haven't noticed, even on the X-Men page, they all have something to do with games. Well, all except this one, now.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Winternet

This thread is quite something.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Well that's interesting. For real thanks for sharing, duder. Cool to see an all woman superhero comic actually sell very well (maybe this happens commonly? Not sure but this is cool)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.