Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X

Franchise »

A series of 4X games published by Egosoft that take place in a futuristic space setting and try to create a highly believable gameworld.

X series on sale on steam, where to start?

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Stete

Hello duders need your advice, the X series is on sale on steam right now. I haven't played a space sim since Freespace 2 and I thought that game was a constant orgasm in digital form so i'm hoping to find something even remotely similar in the X series.

Anyhow my question is, where should I start? Should I start with the first one? If so, is the expansion worth picking up as well? Should start with X2? Or should I start with one of the X3, and if so which one?

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Demmetje
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Stete said:

Anyhow my question is, where should I start? Should I start with the first one? If so, is the expansion worth picking up as well? Should start with X2? Or should I start with one of the X3, and if so which one?

Well, I played all of them and in my opinion X2 is the best choice for beginners. X3: Reunion is kinda rough, I recommend using the X-Tended mod to spice it up a bit: http://www.thexuniverse.com/content/117-The-X-Tended-Mod

But be warned - the X-series games in general are boring as hell until you earn a decent amount of credits. You are basically going to grind trade stations for the first few hours (given you play as intended).

thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thaijedi

If I'm looking for something like the Freelancer & Darkstar One experience, will I get it with the X series?

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

@thaijedi: Not really, these aren't nearly as arcady. The X series are sims, you need to trade and build stations, create an empire to get decent credits. Not saying they aren't fun though, had some great times with the games, just not for the faint of heart ha.

Also X3: The Terran Conflict I think is the most new user friendly...not saying much though.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@thaijedi Not for you. THose games are more similar to Wing Commander. THe X series is more like Independence Wars 2. It has hardcore(not arcady) flight mechanics in an open universe with 4X style gameplay mechanics mixed in.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stete

@atomic_dumpling: @BeepBeepBoop: @ShadowSkill11: Awesome, thanx for your advice duders!

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thechronodarkness

Pretty bad when I saw that title, and automatically thought...Wait, steam sells anime shows now?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Just bought them all on the Humble weekly sale, does the franchise have no story that i should care about as a new player?'

Thinking about just playing the newest one.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just get Terran Conflict, and that's it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

It's on sale on Humble Bundle as well...

...for $1.00...

...and about $5.00 if you want two other games.

Why waste money on Steam for it?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hopped in at X3: Terran Conflict. Had a time figuring it out, but I got pretty into it. I need to play more before Rebirth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.