Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X3: Albion Prelude

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 15, 2011

Latest game in the popular X Franchise, a series of 4X games published by Egosoft that take place in a futuristic space setting.

Is this worth buying?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

it's on sale on steam today, seem's super cool, like Eve Online without the commitment or other people. Anyone else want to pick it up? Is it any good? It would be my first X game, and can I play with Keyboard/mouse?

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

The X games are very good but they're hard to learn. Mouse and keyboard works fine, especially once you get a decent targeting computer.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#3  Edited By jaqen_hghar

@Mikemcn: Yeah, they all seem really good, yet very hard to learn. I have tried the first X3 one, and man... took a lot of hours of gaming before I even managed to earn any real money. It almost seem like you have to read lots of tutorials and "how-to"s in order to make the game a bit better for you. I do want the game for myself to try it again, but since X4 is supposed to come out next year, I'll rather wait with that.

Oh, and remember that you need X3: Terran Conflict to play Albion Prelude.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

@Gargantuan said:

The X games are very good but they're hard to learn. Mouse and keyboard works fine, especially once you get a decent targeting computer.

When I read "Decent targeting computer" I became somewhat aroused... I think I should try this game out.

razeeverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By razeeverything
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Getz

I didn't have any fun with X3 until I cheated a little and gave myself a better ship. It doesn't hold your hand at all, telling you how to fly and shoot and that's pretty much it. Some people like the incredibly open-ended nature of it, but it requires a ton of patience. Also be prepared to do a lot of tedious work to make any kind of progress.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By JackG100

the X-series is a great series of games, if a bit timeconsuming and larger than life. :D

dantad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dantad

love X3:TC picked up the add on for £2.50, but dont have a PC to play it on at the moment :(

I suck at games but use the Cycrow Cheat mod to help me out in the game, makes it a lot easier.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216691 looks like they have added compatibility with the new expansion as well.

Be warned though, if you use this mod or other "Unsigned mods" you won't get steam achievements

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arach666

Yes,it is worth it,quite an amazing expansion,and the series in general.

Bael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bael

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have really been enjoying X3: Albion Prelude so far. This is an amazing game as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. I've spent about 20 hours or more on it and really have only made a minor amount of progress. If you start without any knowledge of the game, you will be lost and probably give up very quickly. The best thing to do is look at some guides that show you how the game works (it'll also help you decide if the game is right for you). The video series posted by @RazeEverything is very good and still mostly applies to Albion Prelude.

It seems the more you understand the game, the faster you can get things accomplished, but it's still fairly slow. Thankfully the environments are very nice to look at and can even be improved with mods. Speaking of which, the game has a very active modding community. Right now I'm running the Re-balance mod and a mod that changes the backgrounds to high quality real space photos. If you love space stuff, you should get a lot of mileage out of X3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.