Is it just me... or does the 360 not support BC anymore?

#1 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

I recently tried to put some original Xbox games that were previously supported titles on Microsoft's backwards compatibility into my Xbox 360...

the few I tried were... Crimson Skies, Jade Empire, Halo 2, JSRF, and Shenmue 2

None of them worked... even though they should. is it just my 360? is it being fucked up? anybody else have this issue?

#2 Posted by GetADogUpYa (16 posts) -

Just tested Halo 2 and it worked fine. Were you connected to LIVE? Sometimes games need the compatability title updates before they work. Do you have a Hard Drive? I believe it is required for BC play. Best of luck.

#3 Posted by Guyzea (814 posts) -

Try connecting to Xbox Live to see if it gives you a Title Update. It used to happen to me but I just connected to Live, downloaded a patch and it would work fine.

#4 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Did you buy your 360 and/or your hard drive second hand from gamestop, ebay, or similar? Reason I ask is that there's a way that users can install their own non-MS hard drives and unwillingly screw up a partition that controls Xbox1 Backwards Compatibility.
#5 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -
@LunarAura:  I did buy my 120gig HDD off of ebay, and that might be the problem.  I was thinking they just patched it into the NXE or something, but I suppose it's not that, since everybody else's seems to be working fine.
#6 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

I suggest borrowing a HDD from a 360 that is functioning backwards compatible to test out on your xbox. If that works, it's definitely your hard drive and I'd look up a way of rebuilding your Partition 2 (that's the xbox backwards compatibility partition).
#7 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

There's a backwards compatibility patch you can download off the internet from Microsoft. Burn it to a disc and install it onto your HDD.

Just follow these instructions.

#8 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

Okay, so... I wasn't signed in before, and it wasn't reading the disc.  Now I'm signed in, but when I try to start Jade Empire, it just tells me to download the game again... is it thinking that it's an xbox original and not an actual disc? do I need to download the update for it? where would that be, in the marketplace?

if that's the case, then I'm kinda confused as to why they just didn't keep it as the old way where you put in the disc and it'd download the update automatically.

#9 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer said:
" Okay, so... I wasn't signed in before, and it wasn't reading the disc.  Now I'm signed in, but when I try to start Jade Empire, it just tells me to download the game again... is it thinking that it's an xbox original and not an actual disc? do I need to download the update for it? where would that be, in the marketplace? if that's the case, then I'm kinda confused as to why they just didn't keep it as the old way where you put in the disc and it'd download the update automatically. "
everytime you put a new xbox game that's BC, you have to download an update.
it should start automatically like any other game
#10 Posted by Asberg (78 posts) -

For a brief moment i though you were talking about this.

#11 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -
@destruktive:  for some reason it doesn't, though... it just says "game could not begin, please download again" 
I just tried it again with all of the titles listed above.  This seems to only be happening after I got my new hard drive... is it like an UMK3 or Paperboy kinda deal? if you had it before it you're good, but if you don't you can't download the updates anymore?

@Asberg:

I remember reading about that game in the Xbox magazine a long time ago and being blown away... especially at the notion that "everything can be set on fire"
too bad it never came out.
#12 Edited by destruktive (1069 posts) -
@Vigorousjammer said:

" @destruktive:  for some reason it doesn't, though... it just says "game could not begin, please download again" 
I just tried it again with all of the titles listed above.  This seems to only be happening after I got my new hard drive... is it like an UMK3 or Paperboy kinda deal? if you had it before it you're good, but if you don't you can't download the updates anymore?

You could try clearing the cache. Of course, you'll have to update every game again but nothing is gone (savegames etc) 
 I was going to insert a youtube video of it but for some reason giantbomb don't want to cooperate with me, so just google it ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.