Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360 Controller Support for PC

Concept »

This is a list of PC games which support connecting an Xbox 360 controller to your computer and using it to play the game.

Using the Wireless Xbox 360 controller on Windows 7

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jack_daniels

I was just wondering how to do this. I have a wireless 360 controller and the charge usb cable. Windows 7 just tells me I have an "Unknown Device". Any ideas on what the heck is going on? Also I have looked online for help and drivers but am still stuck.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jack_daniels
    @sodiumCyclops: Thanks dude. I don't think I would have ever figured that out. It isnt exactly obvious.

Edit: I <3 GBers.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops

No problem man. 

What games are you looking to try it with? 

I have tried Crysis, SFIV and Just Cause 2. All work perfectly.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jack_daniels
    @sodiumCyclops: Dude I can't really find it online for less then 20, even on ebay and they all look like there knock offs. At that price I might as well just spend 25 and get a wired controller so then I would have a total of 4 controllers for my xbox. I wanted to use it for Just Cause 2
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Yeah you might as well get the wired controller. I only got the wireless dongle as it was from a friend for cheap ($10). 

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jack_daniels
    @Fragstoff said:
    " i got a wired 360 controller for $14 on ebay, i prefer wired over wireless for use with PC, "
    14 shipped?
    Slingsarrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slingsarrows

It's worked for most new games I've played, and if it doesn't inherently work there are apps which will map it for some older games and maybe some indie stuff?

Be careful with the wireless one though, my dongle died after about 2 months and I had to solder it to get it to work again.

xenoNfluX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By xenoNfluX

Windows Update. 

The drivers are there. 

Don't you think that should be one of the first places you should look for Microsoft drivers? ;)

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mosdl

I believe I read somewhere there were a lot of issues with the wireless controller and was pulled.  I do wish they could make a cable to connect the wireless one though.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By iDarktread

Bumping, because this thread isn't particularly out of date, aside from the fact that these things got discontinued...

You know, I'm looking to get one of these wireless receivers, but a lot of them available online are labeled "XBOX 360" instead of "Microsoft," which are the legit ones. I found one branded with the official "Microsoft" label on craigslist, and the guy sent me a picture of the device plugged in and with the green light powered on. I cannot find these first party receivers anywhere any more, and he's asking $15 for it. Does anyone else own one of these things? Did they ever break on you? 

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@iDarktread said:

Bumping, because this thread isn't particularly out of date, aside from the fact that these things got discontinued...

You know, I'm looking to get one of these wireless receivers, but a lot of them available online are labeled "XBOX 360" instead of "Microsoft," which are the legit ones. I found one branded with the official "Microsoft" label on craigslist, and the guy sent me a picture of the device plugged in and with the green light powered on. I cannot find these first party receivers anywhere any more, and he's asking $15 for it. Does anyone else own one of these things? Did they ever break on you?

I went through two of them. The first one I guess had some weird firmware problem for some reason and it stopped working, even though the green light was on while plugged in. Thankfully I got another one before they disappeared and I haven't had a problem with it since. If you really want the wireless option it is pretty nice to have, but I have yet to ever have four controllers synced to it. Two at the max for SFIV. More often than not just one is synced up, so it is a little silly, but whatever. Works for me.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zithe

@iDarktread: If you have a PS3 controller, you can use that as a 360 one without buying anything extra. If not, disregard my post.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iDarktread
    @wolf_blitzer85: Huh, okay. Thanks for the reply. 

(I'm trying to upload the picture he sent me, but Giant Bomb isn't cooperating. He has the controller synced to player 1, but I'm not sure if his Xbox is just on in the background or something. 

Hmm, I really don't think there are any new on-brand wireless receivers any more. I remember seeing the wireless controller and receiver combo at my Best Buy, but it's $50-60, still.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iDarktread
    @Zithe: I do have a PS3 controller, but for games like Alpha Protocol, the unofficial drivers I was using made certain aspects of the game unplayable, like hacking, because of the L2 R2 buttons. What drivers do you use with your PS3 controller? I was using motioninjoy.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zithe

@iDarktread: Yep, MotioninJoy here too. Haven't had any problems, but I don't use it that often. Sorry I couldn't help.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iDarktread
    @Zithe: Hah, no problem. Motioninjoy does work for me sometimes, but I've been wanting to pick up a 360 receiver for a while now and am struggling since the official ones seem to be discontinued. 

Can't you get a Bluetooth adapter and use a PS3 or Wii controller on the PC somehow, too? I've just used the PS3 charge cable with Motioninjoy, but I remember reading that Wii controllers somehow worked too. Using a Classic Controller Pro plugged into a Wiimote would be great.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Marz
    @iDarktread: unofficial ones cost 29$ from amazon.  So 15$ is kind of a fair deal for the official one even if it is used.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iDarktread
    @Marz: Yeah, $15 is a good deal on it. I'm just worried that it's going to explode, or not respond to drivers or something. Craigslist is a little sketchy sometimes, I think.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By AndrewB
    @iDarktread:  I think one of the reasons they were discontinued is because at least a number of the units are somewhat defective (imagine that, a 360 related product with hardware failure issues). Mine randomly stopped working at all one day. After some searching online, I found out the solution is to solder over a secondary fuse on the PCB inside the unit. That worked for me (first thing I've ever successfully soldered too). It's nothing too complicated though.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iDarktread
    @AndrewB: Hey, thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.