360 Doesn't Recognize Disc

#1 Posted by ep_driver (436 posts) -

Hey GB'ers, 

My 360 gets moody from time to time and won't recognize discs. One day it will work fine, then the next day I'll turn it on and a clicking noise comes from the disc tray/laser (somewhere in that region of the box) and it won't spin the disc or recognize ones even there. It doesn't give the disc read error 360s usually give, and in the dashboard it says "Open Tray." Sometimes I get frustrated and punch the side of my 360 and it will start working. Other days I NES it and blow inside with the disc tray open. Or occasionally I'll leave it alone for a day or two and it will start working again. 

Does anyone else ever have this problem? If so, does anybody know of a permanent fix or a temporary fix better than me blowing into my 360 like it's 1989. 

Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.

#2 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Not sure but i have a 1 year Old Elite that will do this once a month or sometimes even fewer - however it does strike me as fairly bizarre that it happens - any input would also be greatly recieved! Glad to know it isn't just me that has this, even if yours sounds a little worse

#3 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

I can understand NESing it, but I don't know that I would punch it...   

I've only had that happen with brand new games once or twice, and I just take the game back and get a new copy.  Never had it happen with a game that I'd already been playing. 

The clicking noises, I believe, are your system trying to find data on the disc. Is it always the same discs?   Are you sure that those discs don't have flaws that are making it difficult for the system to read the data?

#4 Posted by Guyzea (815 posts) -

This just happened to me yesterday. I just took the disk out, shut the console off and then turned it on again without the disk. After that I put the disk back in and it worked again.

#5 Posted by Bobstar (310 posts) -

Yeah, mine says "Open Tray" a lot, even when I have a disc in the Xbox.

What usually works for me, is to open the tray, take the disc out, and then close the tray again while it's empty. Mine makes a weird noise, and when that noise is done, I open the tray, put the disc back in and then it works just fine.

Try it out, maybe It'l help you as well.

#6 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

I usually just smash the 360 with my fists when it does this. 

#7 Posted by buzz_clik (6930 posts) -

Apparently it's a known problem (and mine also seems to be doing it more). My usual plan of attack is to put a DVD in there - more often than not, for whatever reason, that'll remind the 360 that it's got something in there. The other plan of attack I've got is to shove the disc tray in by hand, and faster than it usually retracts. While I'm not recommending you resort to that, it still works for me during the times that the DVD method doesn't get the job done.

Outside of that, I've had a couple of times where it's taken 10-15 minutes of jerking around with those methods, combined with yelling at it. It eventually came good, but you've just got to be patient sometimes. Well, when I say "got to," I certainly don't mean it like it should be expected of the user to go through this rigmarole every time they wanna play a game. Ahhh, Xbox 360. How I love thee despite your numerous hair-tearingly annoying flaws.

#8 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

I bought a DVD lens cleaning kit, basically a CD with a little brush on it, you play it and it kicks some of the dust off the laser lens. It could help, bought me an extra 3 weeks of disc drive usage before I had to send it off for repairs (it wouldn't read a brand new disc fresh from the case after 20+ ejects).

#9 Posted by TheHBK (5466 posts) -

You can't just download a game and burn it onto a dvd and expect the system to play it bro.

#10 Posted by memo (421 posts) -
@ep_driver:     Dude. I feel your pain mine does the same thing.  and i dont know what the fuck is wrong with mine.
#11 Posted by animathias (1172 posts) -

This happened with my second 360, which was from 6 months after launch. It was eventually the death of it 3 years ago. It started as a once-in-a-while thing and slowly degenerated to me having to constantly open/close the tray to get it to read discs, with it eventually never reading another. I looked around for a while trying to find fixes, but never found a good result.

#12 Posted by RudeJohn (154 posts) -

Wow, have the exact same thing from time to time. It's comforting to know it's not just me. 

My current 360 is about 2 yrs old and has never exhibited any other faults, red glowy bits, or the like. Just the occassional problem with recognition. Usually clears up when I take the disc out, give it a wipe, and carefully reinsert.  

AND I position my 360 flat, not vertically. Think that helps. It's also well ventilated and relatively dust-free. I gotta give MS credit, the 360 is one tough-ass peice of work.

#13 Posted by buft (3303 posts) -
@ep_driver said:
" Hey GB'ers,  My 360 gets moody from time to time and won't recognize discs. One day it will work fine, then the next day I'll turn it on and a clicking noise comes from the disc tray/laser (somewhere in that region of the box) and it won't spin the disc or recognize ones even there. It doesn't give the disc read error 360s usually give, and in the dashboard it says "Open Tray." Sometimes I get frustrated and punch the side of my 360 and it will start working. Other days I NES it and blow inside with the disc tray open. Or occasionally I'll leave it alone for a day or two and it will start working again.  Does anyone else ever have this problem? If so, does anybody know of a permanent fix or a temporary fix better than me blowing into my 360 like it's 1989.  Thanks for any tips you guys can provide. "
thats a pretty typical problem in the last few models before the slim, eventually it will die, its something to do with the lens over the laser slipping out of position, the only real fix is to open the xbox and move it back but of course thats not something i could recommend since its tricky and voids your warranty, the only advice i have is dont use a lens cleaner that will invariably make the problem worse.
#14 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@buft said:
" @ep_driver said:
" Hey GB'ers,  My 360 gets moody from time to time and won't recognize discs. One day it will work fine, then the next day I'll turn it on and a clicking noise comes from the disc tray/laser (somewhere in that region of the box) and it won't spin the disc or recognize ones even there. It doesn't give the disc read error 360s usually give, and in the dashboard it says "Open Tray." Sometimes I get frustrated and punch the side of my 360 and it will start working. Other days I NES it and blow inside with the disc tray open. Or occasionally I'll leave it alone for a day or two and it will start working again.  Does anyone else ever have this problem? If so, does anybody know of a permanent fix or a temporary fix better than me blowing into my 360 like it's 1989.  Thanks for any tips you guys can provide. "
thats a pretty typical problem in the last few models before the slim, eventually it will die, its something to do with the lens over the laser slipping out of position, the only real fix is to open the xbox and move it back but of course thats not something i could recommend since its tricky and voids your warranty, the only advice i have is dont use a lens cleaner that will invariably make the problem worse. "
Oh god, remember those discs with the little brushes attached to the bottom? Those were crazy as hell.
#15 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

Punch it harder.

#16 Posted by skavanker (99 posts) -
@buft said:
" @ep_driver said:
thats a pretty typical problem in the last few models before the slim, eventually it will die, its something to do with the lens over the laser slipping out of position, the only real fix is to open the xbox and move it back but of course thats not something i could recommend since its tricky and voids your warranty, the only advice i have is dont use a lens cleaner that will invariably make the problem worse. "

Weird I got the exact same problem on my X360 slim
#17 Posted by buft (3303 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:

Oh god, remember those discs with the little brushes attached to the bottom? Those were crazy as hell. "
 yeah those things look crazy and the run for quite a bit of cash these days too 

@skavanker said: 
Weird I got the exact same problem on my X360 slim "
I'm not suggesting the problem is exclusive to those models, its not uncommon for microsoft to not learn from their mistakes, but the few before slim suffer from this problem consistently
#18 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

DVD lens cleaner.  Mine did the exact same thing and haven't had it happen once since.  It is definitely worth the $5 to try it.
#19 Posted by Raven_Sword (3438 posts) -

My 360 dosent play DVD movie audio anymore. It baffles me.  
#20 Edited by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

I had this problem several days ago right after i bought Enslaved, so i opened my disc drive to maybe see if the disc needed cleaning, only to see a little PS3 logo on the disc when i took it out...  But somehow i doubt that that's what's going on here. 

Edit: Wasn't my fault by the way. Dude at the store had put a PS3 disc in a 360 box.

#21 Edited by buzz_clik (6930 posts) -

Okay, so my 360 really stopped working recently; no matter what I did, it just wouldn't recognise a disc. Then I saw a video where a dude taps on the top to make it work again. I'd already tried that, but it inspired me to try something I hadn't thought of: shaking it* while the disc was trying to load. Voila, it worked! However, every time I turn the console on or change discs, I have to pick the console up again and shake it for that second or two. Still, it's an acceptable stopgap for me until I purchase a new machine.

*Don't try this with Cool Baby, folks.

#22 Posted by Nux (2306 posts) -

I just turn mine off ond on again. Works fine after that.
#23 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -

*Insert fanboyish 360 sucks and PS3 is god comment*

#24 Posted by ohjtbehaaave (23 posts) -

I've noticed that many EA Sports games now and then will not work out of nowhere on my 360 during a game.   Some stupid Message pops up saying to clean the disc... but the disc is perfectly fine.  It's on EA's end because no other game but EASports games do this.  I think I may have found a solution to this and maybe those having problems should try this too.  Start your 360... then press 'eject' so the tray opens... then close it.   I usually do this using the controller and not the 360 itself.  It seems the 360 DVD  player or whatever inside ... reboots itself... auto starts the game and it reads the game disc properly and there's no problem after that.  Try ejecting and closing the tray and letting it auto start and see if it solves the problems.

#25 Posted by Sumbog (481 posts) -

For some reason my 360 refuses to read UFC: undisputed, tried on two different disks in both perfect condition... its crazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.