360 has stopped working

#1 Edited by MrFlibble (65 posts) -

My xbox360 an elite no longer seems to work, when I turn it on the lights still flash the way they should but nothing is displayed on the TV. I've tried different TVs and changing cables but nothing I do makes a difference the screen stays black. The most that happens is the no signal message to flash or I get a message telling me to check the power depending on the TV I was using. Is there anything I can do?

If there is nothing I do have another 360 I could use an even older white 20GB 360 but I'm not sure about moving my elites 120GB hard drive to it, is it as simple as swapping the two out? I should still have access to any games/dlc I bought on the market place right? Any advice would be welcome.

#2 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

Yes, it is that simple, but stuff you paid for is tied to your 360's serial# when not online.

#3 Posted by Aetheldod (3344 posts) -

@MrFlibble: ARe you using the correct input on your tv? As fas as I know the 360 is busted only if you get red lights , or have you checked the adapter lightS? It should be green as well

#4 Posted by MrFlibble (65 posts) -

@Aetheldod: I've checked everything at this point the only option is something happened to my 360, though I have no idea what. It seemed to be fine an hour before I had problems.

#5 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

Welcome to the club.

#6 Posted by GnomeonFire (645 posts) -

Maybe you have to reset the resolution?

#7 Posted by MrFlibble (65 posts) -

@GnomeonFire: If you mean holding Y and RT while it restarts then yes, hasn't fixed it.

#8 Posted by MrFlibble (65 posts) -

Has anyone ever sent a 360 to microsoft for repairs? How long did it take and how much did it cost?

I've put my 120GB in my old white 360 now, wish there was some way I could keep the old dashboard it looks some much better then the mess of adverts.

#9 Posted by ADarkMatter (138 posts) -
@MrFlibble: I've sent my 360 for repair to Microsoft twice, first it took them about a week to fix it and it cost me nothing because it was on warranty, the second time was the second RROD on the same console, it was out of warranty and if I remember correctly the repair cost was somewhere around 60 bucks or so. also it took them more time, almost two weeks.
#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5180 posts) -

Hmm nothing like this has ever happened with my 360 before but I have a different model. I had this problem with my ps3 once and it turned out it had been set to display in HD and I was using a standard definition television. I doubt that helps because it's a different system and everything but maybe see if there's some manual way to reset display options before you spend money on something?

#11 Posted by MrFlibble (65 posts) -

Could cost me £90 to get if fixed by microsoft so I may just wait and get a slim 360. Do the hard drives from elites work in slims 360s?

#12 Posted by _Chad (957 posts) -
@MrFlibble said:

Could cost me £90 to get if fixed by microsoft so I may just wait and get a slim 360. Do the hard drives from elites work in slims 360s?

no. you either have to buy a 250gb console or a 4gb console and then buy a 250 hard drive. 
#13 Posted by ADarkMatter (138 posts) -
@MrFlibble: Just find someone else who can fix it for you, it'll be way cheaper and faster.
#14 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Have you tried turning it off and on?

I'm so, so sorry. I had to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.