Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

360's successor to not play used games?

• 70 results
    Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deathawk

So Kotaku ran a story today about the next Xbox. It's generally uneventful except when they mention the possibility of an "anti-used game" aspect to the system. This would be terrible if it is true, and would just be another case of people who buy used games being treated like second class citizens. To be clear if this was true it would also most likely mean: A) You couldn't rent a game B) You couldn't borrow games from a friend and C) That once a game was out of production it would be impossible for new gamers to ever play the game unless they chose to digitally re-release the game.

This just furthers my upcoming dread for next generation.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Nothing new if you play PC games. This may just lead to more console pirating for people who just want to try before they buy.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

They'd probably just charge a $10 unlock fee.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

Not going to happen. They would be shooting themselves in the foot because not everyone has internet access.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Grimluck343

Imagine GameStop going out of business overnight.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aetheldod

Ok? LIke the disk knows that it is not new and locks itself? .... On consoles they cant force people into playing online , if they do then heck just go for a PC then

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Imagine GameStop not selling the next Xbox if this is true.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By sopranosfan

Imagine the PS4 trouncing the new Xbox 5 to 1 if true, of course assuming Sony doesn't do the same thing. 90% of my 360, PS3 games are new but probably 30-50% of my PS2 games are used and you know why? Because you can't find most PS2 games new anymore but I still occasionally pick one up for $3-6.

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By css_switchfoot

I'm willing to wager the majority of people who buy used games aren't going to pay full price for them anyway. Right now the 10 buck unlock thing works for them and makes the game companies a little extra cash.

I'd also be willing to wager, due to the success of Steam, that the new consoles might not even use discs at all. It would cut down on the cost of manufacturing the console and they could put that money towards a bigger HD. They'd also sell a lot more extra HDs for whatever price they want. The technology is there to do it.

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Deathawk

@Aetheldod said:

Ok? LIke the disk knows that it is not new and locks itself? .... On consoles they cant force people into playing online , if they do then heck just go for a PC then

I guess you're right. Potentially games could require unlock keys but that seemingly wouldn't be on a system level. My next thought would be that this might mean that the new system would require a code to activate achievements, which wouldn't be too "anti-used" for gamestop. Heck, I might not even care if that's what's going on.

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By g6065

Imagine a Hamburger that eats you!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sincerely hope they next Xbox comes with some sort of serial code or day-one downloading of games. Let me install the game, type in a serial code, then I can play the game from the harddrive while it sits on my shelf. Or just let me avoid the whole thing and download it on release day. I personally don't have any attachment to physical media at this point.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By landon

If every game was required to have a digital version, and they did Steam like sales, then I could see me never buying used again. But they're not going to do that.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy

Then Sony and Nintendo have an edge over Microsoft if this is true. To be honest, I never really cared for Microsoft's console anyways, I only bought a used Xbox just to play Jet Set Radio Future. 

Though I feel bad for those that are considering buying the next Xbox because they like Microsoft's gaming franchises. This also could affect me if Sony decides to go for this. I'd imagined Xbox fanboys will be defending this shit because fanboyism equals easily manipulative and stupidity.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I kind of hope that's not true. If I'm able to buy a game cheaper on the used market, why should I not be allowed to play it? I enjoy being able to buy old games I might have missed on the cheap and this will only make me want to wait a while before getting the next Xbox.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Landon said:

If every game was required to have a digital version, and they did Steam like sales, then I could see me never buying used again. But they're not going to do that.

I could see the digital copies of the games a couple years in, Steam-like sales? Never.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Deranged

That makes no fucking sense... They aren't going to introduce product keys or serial keys for every individual disc. They would lose MILLIONS of dollars.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By yoshimitz707

If it means all the games are available for digital download on day one, then I'm all for it!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm tired of these idiotic Xbox successor rumors.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yeah, right.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

Eh, even if it is true. I can't care less. I never buy used games anyways. More interesting news is that it'll be seven times more powerful than the 360 and it'll support blu-ray. Well, I take it back, it depends on how it's handled. I mean, even though I don't buy used games, it could mean different uses won't work as well. Like if one were to buy a new console and wanted to play that game again, unless it's somehow controlled by user account, then again, I can't see how that'd be a good thing either.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laserbolts

This would have little impact on me but it would be pretty dumb of them to do this. I do wish they had keys that you could use so that when you install a game you dont need a god damn disk to play it.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By unchained

It's easier to believe that EA, Warner Bros, Square Enix, Ubisoft, and Activision will not publish games for the other consoles unless they also adopt non-used-game feature. It's dirty as fuck, but the cold hard truth is that the companies believe they are losing money due to used game sales.

Of course, it's all speculation until we get something concrete.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sooty

Well I don't really care about the used game thing but the next Xbox better not make me deep throat ads like the current Xbox dash does.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By Juicebox

I buy used not only because it's cheaper.

But mostly because some games are hard to find new.

What the hell if this is true/

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Justin258

@css_switchfoot said:

I'm willing to wager the majority of people who buy used games aren't going to pay full price for them anyway. Right now the 10 buck unlock thing works for them and makes the game companies a little extra cash.

I'd also be willing to wager, due to the success of Steam, that the new consoles might not even use discs at all. It would cut down on the cost of manufacturing the console and they could put that money towards a bigger HD. They'd also sell a lot more extra HDs for whatever price they want. The technology is there to do it.

You (and many, many other people) are vastly underestimating the number of console users who still don't have their console connected to the internet. I won't say that this won't be a digital only console, but it would be a dumb business move to cut out all of those people.

OP: If there's a will, there's a way. If MS wants to cut out used games, then they can do that. If they want to find a way to do it offline, then by God they can try. Maybe the games will come on proprietary flash memory which, when connected to an Xbox, writes an undelete-able code to the memory card that only allows it to be used on that console. The upside to this would be an installation on the HDD (FTW!) but no letting your friends borrow your games (fudge)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox

@Deathawk said:

It's generally uneventful except when they mention the possibility of an "anti-used game" aspect to the system. This would be terrible if it is true, and would just be another case of people who buy used games being treated like second class citizens.

Haha! Oh the hyperbole.
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CaptainCody

@Deathawk said:

Kotaku

There's your problem.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By BaneFireLord

If true, I would expect that this would indicate a lack of backwards compatibility, as 360 games would probably not be retrofitted with this treatment and, thus,  not work.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By baconbits33

Wait.... Wouldn't this completely fuck the rental business? And would mean that when I take a game over to a friends house or borrow a game, then I'm fucked? And if my little brother wants to play on his profile on my xbox then he's fucked? Wow.... Lemme go put a dress on Microsoft so I can look pretty before you fuck me....

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By Seppli

The only second hand games I bought in the last couple of years is Amped 3 and that Halo Add-on with Beta access for Halo Reach. One, because Amped 3 simply isn't available anymore and the other because it was there when the beta hit and what the heck. Games being out of print will be increasingly less of an issue, the more digital distribution is a standard. I imagine future licensing agreements do force publishers to make digital versions of their games available day and date, which should ensure pretty much endless availablity for any 'current' generation title.

I don't like 'the Middle Man' and cutting him out is A-OK with me. Eventually that should reflect in consumer prices too though.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By napalm

@Deathawk said:

So Kotaku ran a story today about the next Xbox. It's generally uneventful except when they mention the possibility of an "anti-used game" aspect to the system. This would be terrible if it is true, and would just be another case of people who buy used games being treated like second class citizens.

I mean... you are a second class citizen if you buy used. This is established fact at this point, right?

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BionicRadd

@Deathawk said:

So Kotaku ran a story today about the next Xbox. It's generally uneventful except when they mention the possibility of an "anti-used game" aspect to the system. This would be terrible if it is true, and would just be another case of people who buy used games being treated like second class citizens.

if you buy used to save 5 bucks when a new copy is sitting right next to it, you are a second class citizen.

that said, this will never happen. one-time digital codes for installs to go disc free may and probably will happen, but they aren't going to give used game retailers like Gamestop the finger. Console manufacturers especially aren't going to.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seppli

@msavo said:

I'm tired of these idiotic Xbox successor rumors.

As I am already doing most of my gaming on my Xbox Successor (my PC). I evidently can't wait for the next generation of consoles anymore. I'm sick and tired of the 'I-don't-need-a-next-generation-of-consoles-just-yet' crowd. I'm sick of low framerates, low rendering resolutions, loading times getting out of hand, low FoV and so forth and so forth and can scarecly imagine the awesome improvements the next standardized generation of hardware will bring us fidelity wise.

It will likely be a CPU/GPU on one chip with 2 to 4 GB of RAM sodered to an 120-250 GB SSD. There's gonna be a SKU with optical drive and one without. And the results are going to be glorious. Good bye crazy loading times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. No, no, no. Consoles already have all the DRM they need. Is adding another layer really a good idea? I don't like this idea not because I'm anti-used games. I don't like this idea because I fear how it'll be implemented. And as someone who's played PC games with shitty DRM, the thought of this coming to consoles, which are supposed to offer a more streamlined gaming experience (pop in the disc and go), has me slightly concerned.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seppli

@BionicRadd said:

@Deathawk said:

if you buy used to save 5 bucks when a new copy is sitting right next to it, you are a second class citizen.

that said, this will never happen. one-time digital codes for installs to go disc free may and probably will happen, but they aren't going to give used game retailers like Gamestop the finger. Console manufacturers especially aren't going to.

Why? They can easily use ISPs/Telecommunication companies as distributers for their hardware.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hatking

@Grimluck343 said:

Imagine GameStop going out of business overnight.

@Lunar_Aura said:

Imagine GameStop not selling the next Xbox if this is true.

Then imagine Microsoft stepping out of the console competition.

This is a poor decision, if true (which I doubt it is). The two possibilities here are: a huge backlash against Microsoft causing them a Sega-like fate in their next console cycle, or, this working out and the consumer accepting they only buy games new (which would surely have Sony and Nintendo following suit with similar anti-used measures) putting several companies like Gamefly, GameStop and video rental stores out of business, or at very least wounding them.

I'm okay with the college kids who can barely afford rent to buy their games used and the developers with full time jobs (a commodity today) to take a small hit rather than companies who employ thousands to go under. Maybe their is a better solution here than this no tolerance bullshit. Something like GameStop and WB worked out, but more streamlined for the consumer.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CptChiken

rumors and hearsay. Im going to wait for microsoft to actually announce the thing before i even begin to contemplate what its features could be.

Avatar image for renegade_pixels
    Renegade_Pixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Renegade_Pixels

I actually kinda like the idea of a digital download only console. Don't even include a disc drive in the console and throw in a few terabytes for the HD. But I don't think it'll happen. The console would be completely useless for the few people out there that don't have internet.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pw2566ch

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Nothing new if you play PC games. This may just lead to more console pirating for people who just want to try before they buy.

That's mostly true. Before PC game developers started jumping on board digital distribution, you were able to sell PC games used. There are still some PC games that you can sell used today. That CD key that was inserted into every copy was only there to make sure it was a legit copy of the game. Now, the reason why Steam is more welcome compared to Xbox Live, PSN, or the Wii Shop is because of their constant sales. Making it a lot easier for the cheap gamer to purchase PC games. On top of that, Steam games are transferable to an unlimited amount of PC's. I don't know if Xbox Live is the same thing, but I know there's a limit on PSN.

If Xbox Live and PSN want to fight against used sales, then they need to go the same route as Steam and other digital distributors. I'm talking about the ones that offer sales all the time.

EDIT: I should also mention that they need to make sure that these games can be played offline.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gike987

Would be suicide. GameStop and other stores would not sell it or at least make sure to only advertise competitors like WiiU and Sony's next console.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Demoskinos said:

Not going to happen. They would be shooting themselves in the foot because not everyone has internet access.

Not to mention the fact that, as has been mentioned, it would cause the amount of pirating on consoles to skyrocket out of control.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By confusedowl

That would be a really stupid idea. DRM on PC is bad enough, if this ever happened there would be a riot. If it DOES happen though, I would go completely retro and never buy another new game or console again (Except for maybe PC games)

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Grimluck343

@gike987 said:

Would be suicide. GameStop and other stores would not sell it or at least make sure to only advertise competitors like WiiU and Sony's next console.

Because if GameStop doesn't sell your console (along with strategy guides, 3rd party accessories, disk insurance, t-shirts, iPhone cases, issues of Game Informer, etc.) how will people buy your product?

I agree it would be tragic to see so many people go unemployed, but goddamn I would love to see that shit show of a business burn to the ground.

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Demoskinos said:

Not to mention the fact that, as has been mentioned, it would cause the amount of pirating on consoles to skyrocket out of control.

Actually, assuming they are basically using some sort of product key activation per disk, wouldn't that eliminate the casual pirate who just burns his copy of the game he ripped off of bittorrent? It probably won't happen, but I bet you see them moving a lot more heavily into digital distribution, almost ala steam where they offer digital only versions for reduced "sale" prices.

@Ezakael said:

That would be a really stupid idea. DRM on PC is bad enough, if this ever happened there would be a riot. If it DOES happen though, I would go completely retro and never buy another new game or console again (Except for maybe PC games)

So you hate PC DRM, and if they did something similar on consoles you would never buy a new console, but you would go back to PC gaming?

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BionicRadd

@Seppli said:

@BionicRadd said:

@Deathawk said:

Why? They can easily use ISPs/Telecommunication companies as distributers for their hardware.

you obviously dont understand how many consoles are bought on a whim while people are out shopping for other crap. hell, the last three consoles I bought were because I was standing in a store for some other reason, had the money in the bank and said screw it, let's do this. consoles are a luxury item and the best way to sell luxury items is to put them in people's faces as often as possible. Retailers drive electronics sales and used game sale do, too. Console manufacturers have no need to deter used game purchases.

the solution to used games is digital and I think we'll see that in this next generation on Sony and MS's machines. Not on the Wii U, because Nintendo doesn't understand the internet, but definitely on the PS4 and 720.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By JasonR86

I read this on gameinformer.com. Apparently there's another rumor saying that the system will play blu-rays as well. It makes me think that the blu-ray is only there for movies and that all of the games will be digital release only (therefore, the system wouldn't be able to play used games).

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By confusedowl

@Grimluck343 said:

@gike987 said:

Because if GameStop doesn't sell your console (along with strategy guides, 3rd party accessories, disk insurance, t-shirts, iPhone cases, issues of Game Informer, etc.) how will people buy your product?

I agree it would be tragic to see so many people go unemployed, but goddamn I would love to see that shit show of a business burn to the ground.

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Demoskinos said:

Actually, assuming they are basically using some sort of product key activation per disk, wouldn't that eliminate the casual pirate who just burns his copy of the game he ripped off of bittorrent? It probably won't happen, but I bet you see them moving a lot more heavily into digital distribution, almost ala steam where they offer digital only versions for reduced "sale" prices.

@Ezakael said:

So you hate PC DRM, and if they did something similar on consoles you would never buy a new console, but you would go back to PC gaming?

PC still has some DRM free alternatives like GoG. I'm also an avid supporter of CDProjekt that release their games without any DRM. So PC has it's safe havens however limited they are.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ptc

Hmmm... Do this, they should NOT (in Yoda voice).

If they want to do away with used games sales, or at least make a big dent, give us more incentives to buy digital versions that can''t be resold. Price the digital version cheaper than the retail product, and release the games on demand version the same day as the retail release.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By xyzygy

They won't do this because it won't sell. The kotaku article is just looking too deep into it.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy

I don't want the console games business to be digital only. I still rent games at a Blockbuster, it's pretty close by from where I live. Those one minute demos don't do it for me, and main stream game reviews is kind of a joke. One problem is they would change their opinion about a game like a month after release even if they said that the game is amazing when it first came out. Like LA Noire for example: The Giantbomb staff went gaga for that game, and then several months later they all like, "that game not that great."   

There have been games that I rented and bought later on. For example: Red Dead Redemption, I rented it around the time it came out, and then bought GOTY edition, brand new BTW out of respect for Rockstar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.