4gb vs 250gb Xbox 360

#1 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

So I've been  deciding on which Xbox 360 to get the 4gb or 250 gb. One is 199 and another is 299 a hundred buck difference. I plan on buying disc based games, possibly playing online, not really buying a lot of downloadable stuff. So in your experience is having the 250 gb essential? Is it worth a hundred bucks more? The 199 price is pretty attractive. 

Whats your experience with this? 

#2 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

If you get the 4GB version, make sure you have some thumb drives you can put savegames on.  You'd be surprised how quickly 4 GBs gets eaten up these days.  And you might have to wait for disk releases for DLCs.

#3 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

If you're not planning to buy full games online or installing your games on your harddrive it should be fine. Even if you decide to buy some Xbox Live Arcade games you can just stick them on USB drive. Personally I'd buy the 250gb but it all depends on your needs. It will be more expensive to buy another harddrive down the line but I think you should be fine with 4gb for a while if you don't wanna lay down an extra 100$ for 250 right away.

#4 Posted by Andorski (5203 posts) -

If you aren't using the 360 as your main gaming platform, I think you can make do without the hard drive.  If you end up hitting the 4GB limit, you can always plug in a USB drive or portable hard drive to the system.  Just know that the external drive has to be formatted in FAT32 (and thus, only be 32GB of space) for you to save on the system. 

I do have to say though that XBLA is freaking awesome.  That and PSN Games are IMO the best things to come out of this generation.  Castle Crashers, Super Stardust HD, and Shadow Complex have been some of my favorite games on the 360/PS3 while Battlefield 1943 is probably the multiplayer game that I have stuck with the most in recent years.

#5 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

I think that the HDD is definitely worth it, and I was in the same boat as you - I never planned on getting downloadable games because for some reason I felt they were "inferior" somehow. After browsing through the XBLA's massive library though, there are some real gems in there that should not be overlooked. If you really have to get the 4GB one, get some USB sticks.

#6 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@sagesebas said:
" So I've been  deciding on which Xbox 360 to get the 4gb or 250 gb. One is 199 and another is 299 a hundred buck difference. I plan on buying disc based games, possibly playing online, not really buying a lot of downloadable stuff. So in your experience is having the 250 gb essential? Is it worth a hundred bucks more? The 199 price is pretty attractive.  Whats your experience with this?  "
save yourself the issues. get the hdd. game installations make some of the bulkier games much more managable in terms of loads and even just performance (see Halo:Reach). On top of that it opens up the world of xbox live to you. the live arcade is excellent, there are some really great games out there and DLC. 

If you're using expanded functionality like media streaming then some of it isn't available without sufficient space or operates worse/slower. 

Frankly if you're gonna spend any amount of significant time on this xbox 360 i'd advise the hdd.
#7 Posted by HistoryInRust (6275 posts) -

I can't speak to the prospect of the 4 GB drive, but I know that I, personally, wouldn't survive without the 250 GB HDD.  

Sucks that it's a hundred dollars more expensive. But the broad functionality advantage it has over the 4 GB almost makes it unarguable. 

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (18912 posts) -

Go for the 250 GB one.  It's worth the 100 extra bucks.

#9 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Go 250gb, 4gb is losing money.

#10 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

Thanks, I know that now I say I won't get too much into XBLA, but I have a feeling I may regret it in the future. And it would be my main gaming platform.

#11 Posted by Grilledcheez (3943 posts) -

I was answering these same things at Target last night, 250gb is as close to as essential as you can get.  Save files aren't usually a problem, but any sort of download is fairly large at this point...in fact BFBC2 just had a mandatory one near 2 gigs the other day.

#12 Posted by tsolless (465 posts) -

You can't install games to the HDD with just a 4GB.

#13 Posted by nickb64 (214 posts) -

I almost bought the 4GB and a HDD simply because I like the matte finish more than the glossy look, but still haven't and might not buy one, as I don't even have an HDTV yet(cheap mom doesn't see the need for more than our nearly 8 year old CRT SDTV, and I don't watch TV at all)

#14 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@GrilledCheez01 said:
" I was answering these same things at Target last night, 250gb is as close to as essential as you can get.  Save files aren't usually a problem, but any sort of download is fairly large at this point...in fact BFBC2 just had a mandatory one near 2 gigs the other day. "

I'd say mandatory downloads are the same thing as a save game. This is kinda my point, there are some games where there is free DLC, a really big update, etc etc etc.  
Go with the 250GB. 4GB isn't really enough, and you should really have your options open. There will probably be free DLC that you'll want, and demos, etc. It's worth the extra money.  Plus there is this to sweeten the deal.   http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=88261 

Also, as far as I'm concerned, installing your games is the only way to go, certainly it's far superior. That alone would make it worth the money to me.
#15 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos: I think you've convinced me

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.