Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

A legit concern I have with 360 going into the coming years...

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Like many of you, I like my 360 quit a bit. I like the games, XBOX Live (even though I dont play online that much), and Acheivments (even if I dont really go out of my way to get them over say Trophies, but I do like them. I just dont really perfer one over the other). I also liked the fact that, at the time, it had some of the best looking games. Oblivion was really the game that made me say "holy **** this looks amazing, I have to get a 360 for this." but I didnt have the money at the time,so I had to wait for the straw that broke the camels back,Gears of War.Gears of War pretty much had the effect that oblvion had on me with its visuals, times about 2 or 3. It was the best looking game weve seen yet on a console at the time, and I really think that was one of its main selling points. Going on in the years since we saw the release of the PS3. and lets be honest that didnt have the greatest 2 or 3 years. But, sure enough, they started to get their S together and start releasing very very good looking games and finally gave 360 real competition in the HD space. However, I felt that they were pulling too far ahead of 360 in visuals. A console that was once touted as a graphics beast was now showing signs of age in its visual quality for its Exclusives compared to the direct competition, and has honestly seem like its really hitting a wall in terms of visuals. Althoughy Alan Wake and Halo reach look quit good, I really dont think anyone is going to say they look better than God of War 3 or Uncharted 2, you may even have trouble convincing people they look just as good (including me). I know graphics arent the end all be all, lord knows PS2 proved that, but I do really think theyre important. If your console cannot keep up graphically with your direct competition, then you more than likely will be viewed as a weaker, inferior console, and I dont want that to happen to 360. Its a great games machine, but it hasnt really advanced meaningfully graphically since late 2008 IMO.

I know this type of thread can come off as Flame bait, but really, I should have the right to address a concern I have about a console I own without being persecuted for not always praising it and never questioning anything about it. I really tried to make this thread as balance as I could, I would appreciate people atleast reading it before they make their comments.

Its really a concern I have going into the coming years of this console generation, because honestly, im not convinced 360 games can look a whole lot better going into the future, atleast judging by the rate theyve advanced lately.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Organicalistic_

what is the concern?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

Uh... that's a stupid concern. You just said that PS2 proved graphics aren't everything yet you insist that graphics will be the 360's downfall. Guess what? It doesn't fucking matter. They'll both continue to be successful systems.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

The 360 actually usually has the better graphics when it comes to crossplatform games. PS3 has the better graphics when it comes to exclusives, but then again, I think PS3 has the better exclusives anyway. Just get a PS3 if you're really that worried, otherwise sit happy and know that you're still enjoying better graphics on average when it comes to crossplatform games, which is like 90% of them. 

By the way, before the trolls/flamers arrive, obviously graphics aren't everything - nobody is saying they are. But they are a significant part of any game experience and therefore this is a legitimate concern. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

the ps2 was completely incapable of keeping up with the xbox and gamecube graphically both systems released games that looked far far better then the best ps2 offerings...
    yet that system sold 140million and wasn't viewed as week.
    what matters is games, how many come out on your system.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Coombs

Visuals < Gameplay
    So...
    Who gives a shit?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

lol this thread is why i need to get more sleep and stop browsing GB at 4am...

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

One of many horrible threads by Raven_Sword. Well done.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @jadeskye said:
    " lol this thread is why i need to get more sleep and stop browsing GB at 4am... "
    Haha amen to that.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Geno said:
    obviously graphics aren't everything - nobody is saying they are. But they are a significant part of any game experience and therefore this is a legitimate concern.  "
    Tell this to the Nintendo and the Wii.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jadeskye
    @DoctorWelch: And the DS, the PSP is clearly much more successful as it has better graphics.  

/sarcasm.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

All you ever talk about is fucking graphics.  If you care about them so much, go buy Avatar on Blu-ray .  Its visuals shit on Uncharted 2.  

Anyways, I have heard from journalists that Crysis 2 and Rage are graphic behemoths.  Both of those are on the 360.   

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Geno
    @DoctorWelch said:
    " @Geno said:
    obviously graphics aren't everything - nobody is saying they are. But they are a significant part of any game experience and therefore this is a legitimate concern.  "
    Tell this to the Nintendo and the Wii. "
    I think the exodus of third party developers due to the lack of hardcore gamers buying their games -despite it having double the user base of either the PS3 or 360- says enough about the Wii. Graphics are important, even if Wii fanboys wish to be disingenuous about it. 

@jadeskye said:
    " @DoctorWelch: And the DS, the PSP is clearly much more successful as it has better graphics.   /sarcasm. "
    The DS has a significantly better and larger library. And if graphics didn't matter, Nintendo wouldn't keep releasing versions with bigger, brighter screens running on faster hardware every year. 
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

Mass Effect 2?  Anyone? 
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Geno said: 
    @jadeskye said:
    " @DoctorWelch: And the DS, the PSP is clearly much more successful as it has better graphics.   /sarcasm. "
    The DS has a significantly better and larger library. And if graphics didn't matter, Nintendo wouldn't keep releasing versions with bigger, brighter screens running on faster hardware every year.  "
    you're mental o_o bigger better screens and faster hardware with the same hardware base and graphical requirements as the console doesn't change. 

also you might wanna look up sarcasm.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Geno
    @jadeskye said:

" @Geno said: 

@jadeskye said:

The DS has a significantly better and larger library. And if graphics didn't matter, Nintendo wouldn't keep releasing versions with bigger, brighter screens running on faster hardware every year.  "
    you're mental o_o bigger better screens and faster hardware with the same hardware base and graphical requirements as the console doesn't change. 

also you might wanna look up sarcasm. "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi#Hardware   
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi_XL#Hardware_and_comparison  

You said the PSP is much more successful, then /sarcasm. Therefore I am meant to interpret the opposite, no?  
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By meteora
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " All you ever talk about is fucking graphics.  If you care about them so much, go buy Avatar on Blu-ray .  Its visuals shit on Uncharted 2.    Anyways, I have heard from journalists that Crysis 2 and Rage are graphic behemoths.  Both of those are on the 360.    "
    Of course, that is there will be some watering down so the 360 won't blow itself up in the awesomeness that is of those two games. ;) 

And yes, graphics don't really matter. The Wii is in the lead and its basically using 6.2 gen technology or some shit. The PS2 wasn't a great graphical machine but it sold millions upon millions of units, one of the most successful console to date.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Jayzilla

Have you even played ME2 OP? That game is legiit and looks amazing, and plays even better than it looks. Oh I get it...PS3 troll. I have been duped again :/

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By lead_farmer

Don't worry about the graphics so much.  As nice as a game looks (and both the PS3 and 360 have some nice looking games), it is still the gameplay that should keep a person interested.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Geno said:
    " @jadeskye said:

" @Geno said: 

@jadeskye said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi_XL#Hardware_and_comparison    You said the PSP is much more successful, then /sarcasm. Therefore I am meant to interpret the opposite, no?   "
    you're gonna sit there and tell me that the iterations of the same console (the NDS) have had meaningful impacts on the graphical quality of the games even though they all operate within the same capacity. 

I can play counterstrike source on a 5 year old machine and on a new PC at the same graphical settings and it'll look exactly the same, This is the situation you're describing.
    ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ozzdog12
    @Coombs said:
    " Visuals < Gameplay So... Who gives a shit? "

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Geno
    @jadeskye said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @jadeskye said:

" @Geno said: 

@jadeskye said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi_XL#Hardware_and_comparison    You said the PSP is much more successful, then /sarcasm. Therefore I am meant to interpret the opposite, no?   "
    you're gonna sit there and tell me that the iterations of the same console (the NDS) have had meaningful impacts on the graphical quality of the games even though they all operate within the same capacity.  I can play counterstrike source on a 5 year old machine and on a new PC at the same graphical settings and it'll look exactly the same, This is the situation you're describing. "
    Um, a new PC will play Counterstrike Source faster, on a bigger, brighter screen. It will also enable higher resolutions and antialiasing (including supersampling), which ironically has the most noticeable effect on Source games.  

Take an original DS and compare it to the new DSi XL and tell me there's no difference in visual quality. Each iteration of the DS is lauded for improved brightness, screen size and clarity. 
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ravensword
    @xyzygy:

Actually, i pay no attention to it. Dont feel embarrased one bit. He dosent feel the need to contribute anything to the topic, so he just insults me.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ravensword
    @zombie2011:

Yes, and Im sure you trailblaze quality thread making. Please be quit before you embarass yourself.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @jadeskye: Just stop trying to explain anything to these people, they obviously have no idea what they are talking about. 

Also, I love how I say "Tell that to the Wii" and somehow I become a Wii fanboy, even though I dont even own one lol.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jadeskye
    @DoctorWelch: Yeah you're right, i'm feeding the troll. My mistake. *goes to play my Awesome PC without console worries* 

No Caption Provided
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HitmanAgent47

@nobull6 said:

"Do you just regurgitate the same stuff over and over again?

http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-360/60-20/microsoft-720p-not-needed-right-now/35-262229/?  
    http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-360/60-20/is-360-future-proof/35-266171/     
    http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/im-conflicted-between-my-two-hd-consoles/412081/ "

Sounds exactly his last thread, except reworded differently as disguised trolling. Take a xbox360 exclusive and put it on my pc, like splinter cell conviction and i'll show you better graphics than anything on consoles, just to put things in perspective. Don't be too easily fooled by effects and low resolution textures with art design, that's smoke and mirrors of ps3 games, i've seen better elsewhere if you look at non bullshots, with a life bar and hud. You will then say, well it's not about screenshots, it's about the motion, when pc games moves well and is sharp for textures in screenshots because it's not lacking in anything. Then again, games like alan wake looks good in motion, looks aweful for screenshots too. Don't be fooled into thinking the game is more powerful technically when it really isn't, I've seen better. You don't belive me, just look at my pc screenshot thread then go to ign or gamespot and look at ps3 screenshots.  

Then again you do have a point, I do agree that the xbox360 is limited because they can't update their videocards since games like mass effect 2 looks aweful at 720p. However I play alot of their games in higher resolution and textures, even anti aliasing on the pc and it's like they are running it at medium settings at 720p. The only thing that improved of the ps3 is the effects, that's what the cell processor does, however it's not as good as a pc's videocard which creates all the effects gpu wise or resolution wise. Effects improves and so does the cell processor usage for parrellel processing, however textures which is a gpu thing is lacking the same as usual. Why did I mention pc? because you simply think graphics begins and ends with two meager powered consoles, I disagree, i've seen way better. Also I agree with some of your points.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " the ps2 was completely incapable of keeping up with the xbox and gamecube graphically both systems released games that looked far far better then the best ps2 offerings... yet that system sold 140million and wasn't viewed as week. what matters is games, how many come out on your system. "
    I think that isn't true.  The Gamecube was shitty in terms of graphics capability and had awful, awful bandwidth constraints.  There were around a half dozen really good looking games on the system in the totality of its lifespan and most of those played to the GCN limits and strengths well, rather than showing off its limited capabilities.  The PS2 was actually extremely powerful for its day and almost all the capabilities of the XBOX's XGPU were mirrored (bumpmapping etc) and sometimes even bettered in the Emotion Engine (the PS2 had a lot more bandwidth for complex alpha driven bloom and similar effects than most XBOX games managed to pull off - there is no one XBOX game which has as many complex lighting effects as both of the Zone of Enders games had) which is impressive considering how limited it was in terms of actual VRAM/RAM compared to the XBOX's 64MB UMA. 

The PS2 was undoubtedly successful and yes, underpowered in some ways compared to the XBOX but it definitely wiped the floor with the GCN.  The PS2's main measure of success was that it was so widely adopted by so many third party devs, even pretty early in its lifecycle, well before the SDK was really useful.
    Avatar image for iichristian89ii
    IIChristian89II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By IIChristian89II

Graphics dont determine how good a console or game is at all.  Its all about the gameplay! 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.