Am I the only person who doesn't want wifi on 360?

#1 Posted by newt (92 posts) -

Sure, people can have it hooked up to their TVs and not worry about cables flying around the house.  That sounds great.  Does no one else see the downside of increased latency throughout the network?  I mean, I guess it'd be mostly OK for games with dedicated servers, but that sharp an increase in dropped packets will definitely affect general online play.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@newt said:
" Sure, people can have it hooked up to their TVs and not worry about cables flying around the house.  That sounds great.  Does no one else see the downside of increased latency throughout the network?  I mean, I guess it'd be mostly OK for games with dedicated servers, but that sharp an increase in dropped packets will definitely affect general online play. "
If its anything like the PS3 wireless. It wont have issues. I often even get comments about how people who are wired do not have as good as a connection as I do. 
#3 Posted by Brendan (7771 posts) -

Stupid titles that include "Am I the only person in the world...?" need to stop. 
#4 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

No you're not the only one. But its a good addition to have, especially if a wired solution is not present or if you're on travel.

#5 Posted by Bones8677 (3228 posts) -

Am I the only person who doesn't want wifi on 360?  

Considering how expensive their WiFi adapters are...yes. Lots of people don't have great access to their network. For example, my house only has a wireless network, and the router is in the living room. My 360 is in my bedroom on the other side of the house, cables are not an option.
#6 Posted by Warfare (1633 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" Stupid titles that include "Am I the only person in the world...?" need to stop.  "
Agree.
#7 Posted by Dejkrigeren (384 posts) -

You can choose to not use it if you don't like it, but the option being there is definitely a plus.

#8 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Yeah I also hate when companies add more features to their products!

#9 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

Well I hope Microsoft include the capability for wired connections which I expect they will but I have no problem with wi-fi.

#10 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

It will pry just be like the ps3. Where it is there in case you need it but you don't have to use it.  

Also I've never had any trouble with the ps3's wifi so I don't think will be bad.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21509 posts) -
@Dejkrigeren said:
" You can choose to not use it if you don't like it, but the option being there is definitely a plus. "
Exactly. Should never complain about being give more possible options.
#12 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I'm not seeing a problem.
Let alone the fact that xbox live gaming is not demanding enough to fail to the regular latency in wireless, bar a person having major problems with the wireless in their house.
Most of the speed problems with wireless vs wired is based solely in the media transfer stuff from your pc like music and movies.

#13 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1640 posts) -

I don't know why you're complaining about Microsoft deciding not to rip you off anymore (though that will still happen through the already established channels).

#14 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Huh?

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13169 posts) -

My xbox is connected through WiFi, and I can play Street Fighter just fine.

#16 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I dunno why it's a problem if you can still hook it up to a wire? Personally I look forward to this, it means my xbox will be in a place where it's less likely to be kicked over!

#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Erzs said:
" I dunno why it's a problem if you can still hook it up to a wire? Personally I look forward to this, it means my xbox will be in a place where it's less likely to be kicked over! "
Wire fetish maybe? 
#18 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Erzs said:
" I dunno why it's a problem if you can still hook it up to a wire? Personally I look forward to this, it means my xbox will be in a place where it's less likely to be kicked over! "
Wire fetish maybe?  "
Oh my, I never thought of this, I see $$$ possibilities now...Bad Ronald all tangled up in his wires posing in a sultry position. I'll split the earnings with you.
#19 Edited by BadSniper52 (607 posts) -

I lose to many connections when I use wireless, So I use my cable modem always.

#20 Posted by EdIsCool (1122 posts) -

Do you not play games on a laptop? Never an issue

#21 Posted by newt (92 posts) -
@EdIsCool:  
yeah, that's why the fools at LANs that use wireless routinely have 50-100ms higher ping than everyone else.
#22 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @newt said:
" Sure, people can have it hooked up to their TVs and not worry about cables flying around the house.  That sounds great.  Does no one else see the downside of increased latency throughout the network?  I mean, I guess it'd be mostly OK for games with dedicated servers, but that sharp an increase in dropped packets will definitely affect general online play. "
If its anything like the PS3 wireless. It wont have issues. I often even get comments about how people who are wired do not have as good as a connection as I do.  "
The PS3 wifi is just wireless G...its not anything special.
#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Burns098356GX said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @newt said:
If its anything like the PS3 wireless. It wont have issues. I often even get comments about how people who are wired do not have as good as a connection as I do.  "
The PS3 wifi is just wireless G...its not anything special. "
That is what I am saying. Since its not special. Then 360 wifi should not have issues. Course..I have fios so that might be a big factor. 
#24 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -
@newt said:
Theres noting wrong with wifi, as long as you have a proper router to run it. Its not as unreliable as it was 4-5 years ago.
#25 Posted by BergDK (270 posts) -

I only use wifi with my laptop.... would never use wifi for gaming.

#26 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

My adapter works well, it has three antennas, it's one of those gigabyte routers, i'm only saying, it depends on your router, don't go cheap on it and also on how good the xbox360's adapter is. I wouldn't know because I don't have a xbox360. I live in a big place, I wouldn't want wires running everywhere on the floor, might trip on it.

#27 Posted by Huey2k2 (489 posts) -
@newt said:
I've been playing games on live with the wireless adapter for years, never any problems. The only reason I could see it causing problems for anyone is if i you have a shitty ISP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.