Anyone tried making a Indie game yet?

#1 Posted by Ugalde (140 posts) -

I'm just wondering because I want to try and before I pay for the Premium XNA creators club I would like to know how hard is this. So anyone that have tried this?

#2 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Do you know how to code it, do you have the art recourses and so on? That's the hardest part, and what you should worry about first.

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

ive always wondered how games could possibly be made.. they're amazing

#4 Posted by Oy (280 posts) -

If I were you I would get Kodu Game Lab from the Indie Games and try to make a game using that first. Then decide if you want to go further.
#5 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

Another option would be to try an engine on the PC.  For instance, try using Fallout 3 or Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 to design a game. You can go as deep as you want in Neverwinter. People have created creatures or items as well as adventures. There's nothing easy about any of it though. It can be very time consuming to make the good stuff.

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14394 posts) -

The only GB user I know that has had involvement with XNA is hamst3r, and he didn't develop it himself, he just created the music loops, and had input on the XNA development, and it wasn't a game, it was music creation software.

If you want to get into game development, and have no prior experience, using XNA is probably jumping in the deep end. I'd suggest trying one of the PC game creation softwares to get used to it. Stuff like Game Maker makes devloping simple basic games extremely easy, with no coding whatsoever required. While you're not going to make anything spectacular or ground breaking, it's a nice way to ease yourself into the concepts around making games, and will probably help you decide if you want to explore it further, with something like XNA.

#7 Posted by Fronominal (90 posts) -

I just released a community game I Heart Shift.  I went to school for programming so i knew how to program going into it.  Mostly through school i used C++ but Xna uses C#.  There are a bunch of development starter kits for platformers and other genres that would be good if you are new to it.  The whole community review and play test thing can be kinda annoying but what can you expect from a comunity review program.  What i did for my game is develop it on the pc until it was at 80% done then bought a cc membership and put it on the xbox.  When i did this it chugged.  So i fixed some things.  It took me 3 months at a bout 20-40 hours a week to do.

#8 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -
@Ugalde said:
" I'm just wondering because I want to try and before I pay for the Premium XNA creators club I would like to know how hard is this. So anyone that have tried this? "
Do you have any experience with game development? If not you should probably learn the basics on a platform that doesn't require a fee.
#9 Posted by Hamst3r (4491 posts) -
@Ugalde said:
" I'm just wondering because I want to try and before I pay for the Premium XNA creators club I would like to know how hard is this. So anyone that have tried this? "

You don't have to have a XNA Creators Club Premium account to download the tools necessary to make and release an XNA game. The Premium account is what lets you publish the game on XBOX Live. The games can be built, run and sold on PC without a premium account.

Here's what you need:

XNA Game Studio 3.x
Visual C# Studio 2008 Express Edition

Get those and knock yourself out. I've never put in the time necessary to learn how to program, but perhaps you'll have better luck with that. :)
#10 Posted by Th3dz (332 posts) -

If you really want to get in to it you better be prepared. If you haven't coded before, I just want you to know that it's a steep learning curve. Pickup a book about C# which is the programming language used with XNA and after learning some basics about C# then you can try some tutorials online and make simple games like pong. Also, as Hamst3r  said: you can dowload the programs you need and make games on windows and play them without the premium account, the premium account enables you to deploy your game on the 360. But if you're a beginner you won't need that yeat anyway.
Feel free to check out the game I'm working on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoYpGDX1c8E

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.