Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Are there any warning signs?

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DrPepper1990

Are there any warning signs before a box red rings? I'm just curious because I plan on getting one soon and would like to know what I should look out for to help prevent this. Also, are the new 60gb model's the ones with that new chip? Are they less likely to red ring?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ness

If you have a baseball bat in your hand, then yes, there is a warning sign.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Jayge_

If your Xbox starts to crash a lot more than often, and you get some graphical glitches a lot more, etc. etc. it's more than likely you're close to Red Rings.

The new chipsets are supposed to be much better, yes. The likelihood of getting the RRoD is much lower with them, supposedly. That's what they said about Elites though, and look how that turned out.

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrPepper1990
    Jayge said:
    "If your Xbox starts to crash a lot more than often, and you get some graphical glitches a lot more, etc. etc. it's more than likely you're close to Red Rings.

The new chipsets are supposed to be much better, yes. The likelihood of getting the RRoD is much lower with them, supposedly. That's what they said about Elites though, and look how that turned out."
    The elites are just as likely to get red rings as the normal one? Has anyone with the new 60gb gotten a red ring or has it not been out for long enough.
    LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By LightYagami245
    Jayge said:
    "If your Xbox starts to crash a lot more than often, and you get some graphical glitches a lot more, etc. etc. it's more than likely you're close to Red Rings.

The new chipsets are supposed to be much better, yes. The likelihood of getting the RRoD is much lower with them, supposedly. That's what they said about Elites though, and look how that turned out."
    I guess the only thing to do is hope it doesn't get it(the new models). You can take some precautions to not get the RROD.
    DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DrPepper1990
    LightYagami245 said:
    "Jayge said:

I guess the only thing to do is hope it doesn't get it(the new models). You can take some precautions to not get the RROD."
    Like what, keep it ventilated.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_

I doubt any of the 60s have gotten red rings yet. Some probably will, but the probability is reduced.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LightYagami245
    DrPepper1990 said:
    "LightYagami245 said:
    "Jayge said:

I guess the only thing to do is hope it doesn't get it(the new models). You can take some precautions to not get the RROD."
    Like what, keep it ventilated."
    That. Also keeping the room it's in at a cool temperature, having it close to the ground(so it won't fall. Just keep it secured), and not leaving it on for hours are some good ways.
    DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrPepper1990
    LightYagami245 said:
    "DrPepper1990 said:
    "LightYagami245 said:
    "Jayge said:

Like what, keep it ventilated."
    That. Also keeping the room it's in at a cool temperature, having it close to the ground(so it won't fall. Just keep it secured), and not leaving it on for hours are some good ways."
    Sweet thanks, can't wait for GEARS 2.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_

If you want the best ventilation, keep it upright, although that's likely to screw up your drive. I keep mine lying down, but the surface I have it on is a metal grid that allows air to move freely under it. Almost two years old and still going strong.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Vaxadrin

Yeah, keep it upright so there's more heat dispersion on the surface underneath the disc drive.  It seems counterintuitive considering you're blocking off some of the intake vents, but in this case having that large surface exposed to the air is better for displacing heat.

Also, don't set it on carpet, don't move it while it's on, don't breathe near it, don't look at it funny, keep your room at 60 degrees fahrenheit, and pray every night.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_
    Vaxadrin said:
    "Yeah, keep it upright so there's more heat dispersion on the surface underneath the disc drive.  It seems counterintuitive considering you're blocking off some of the intake vents, but in this case having that large surface exposed to the air is better for displacing heat.

Also, don't set it on carpet, don't move it while it's on, don't breathe near it, don't look at it funny, keep your room at 60 degrees fahrenheit, and pray every night."
    I actually use my 360 to heat my room in the winter. When I use my PC, I usually just take the entire side off. They're both close to windows, and I keep those open. Tempurature is perfect.
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Vaxadrin

I do the same.  Between my 360, computer, and LCD TV, they give off enough heat that I can just turn the thermostat off.

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By BlindEffekt

Constant locking up is a sign.
    Also graphical glitches and slowdowns.

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Ma7moud

Just keep it well ventilated.

VoDrackus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VoDrackus

You don't have to worry about the RROD issue that was occurring, the issue has been fixed since Sep 2007.

Microsoft wanted to cut down on the cost of making the 360 and developed a GPU in house without the aide of a company specializing in ASIC. The result was a chip that was prone to overheating which would cause the RROD.

ATI produces the latest GPUs that run cooler and with an extra heatsink thrown in for good measure.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru
    VoDrackus said:
    "You don't have to worry about the RROD issue that was occurring, the issue has been fixed since Sep 2007...
    I highly doubt this, they may have installed a new chip that runs things a lot cooler but I have heard of several people getting a 360 after this date and their 360 still got the red rings.
    LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LightYagami245
    Jayge said:
    "If you want the best ventilation, keep it upright, although that's likely to screw up your drive. I keep mine lying down, but the surface I have it on is a metal grid that allows air to move freely under it. Almost two years old and still going strong.
    "
    Same with mine.
    BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlindEffekt
    Gouglas said:
    "

Sadface.
    I just got this.

THE END IS NIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"
    =[ better get Microsoft's number handy
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolverine

I didn't have any.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#23  Edited By Vinchenzo

I had no signs. One day it just did it. My system has always sounded the same, acted the same, etc.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By kenzo287

Warning Signs: Buying a Xbox 360

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Metasin

I was playing Oblivion the night before mine died and I started getting load screens every five minutes.

As far as the new chipset, everything thats on the shelves (non-used) at this point should have them.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LightYagami245
    Metasin said:
    "I was playing Oblivion the night before mine died and I started getting load screens every five minutes.

As far as the new chipset, everything thats on the shelves (non-used) at this point should have them."
    There's a chance that they don't have them?
    Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Metasin

Well, theoretically if they haven't sold off all the old stock yet it is possible, but most major retailers probably have. I believe, I could be wrong, that once they started putting the HDMI ports on all the models that everything from that point forward had them.

here is a video how to know for sure
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTVCW8OBdWk

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LightYagami245
    Metasin said:
    "Well, theoretically if they haven't sold off all the old stock yet it is possible, but most major retailers probably have. I believe, I could be wrong, that once they started putting the HDMI ports on all the models that everything from that point forward had them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTVCW8OBdWk"
    I see, but if you buy an Elite, theoretically, it should have it?
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ket87

Yeah if you buy a 360 now you really don't have to worry about RROD at all. The currently stocked Falcons (any Arcade model, HDMI ready 20GB, or Elite) the rate of RROD is practically non-existent. And if you hold out a few weeks and pick up a Jasper chip 60GB RROD is completely gone (according to Microsoft). RROD is a thing of the past for new adopters but still a big concern for people like me who bought their 360 before the changes.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Illmatic

Kinda, it depends. I don't remember what happened before my first red ring, but right before my second red ring my screen got these weird colors lined on the screen. I reset the system and the screen was then pretty fuzzy. I turned off the 360 and the next day I turned it on, red rings. I'm pretty sure the first time it happened, it just suddenly happened. It's really just a luck of the draw.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hitchenson

I'll be getting Red Rings soon.
    Xbox as been freezing up ALOT recently :/
    ...And i had that wierd line thing during a game of TF2 o_0

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Metasin
    LightYagami245 said:
    "Metasin said:
    "Well, theoretically if they haven't sold off all the old stock yet it is possible, but most major retailers probably have. I believe, I could be wrong, that once they started putting the HDMI ports on all the models that everything from that point forward had them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTVCW8OBdWk"
    I see, but if you buy an Elite, theoretically, it should have it?"
    it should, but I personally know two people whose elites ringed on them
    SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By SSbabel

It could possibly freeze up a few times before it actually displays the red rings.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By dagas

I just got a RRoD. It worked fine for two years then all of a sudden it happened...sure it has had problems with freezing sometimes, but that has happened every now and then for over a year and it wasn't that bad. I did not expect the RRoD to happen now after so long.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crunchUK

RROD is completely overblown these days. it hardly happens at all to the falcon ones let alone the jasper ones.

ajarbuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ajarbuckle

not really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine began to freeze and load really slow before the red lights kicked in.

Wijeeba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wijeeba

If your 360 starts to freeze a lot, it usually means it's going to red-ring soon. My (2nd) 360 is showing signs of being close to death, since it's beginning to crash as often as my first one right before it died :(

AnTiPRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AnTiPRO

All of the above :)

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Blu_Magic
    Bucketdeth said:
    "Mine began to freeze and load really slow before the red lights kicked in."
    Yep same here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.