Avatars getting "more realistic" upon Kinect's Launch

#1 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -
Source  

When Microsoft rolled out the New Xbox Experience in 2008, gamers were given the chance to create their own unique little men and women. Fast forward two years and not much has changed with the little guys…but that’s all about to change.

A senior programmer at Rare–the studio in charge of creating Avatars and Avatar items– told Official Xbox Magazine that Avatars will get more realistic when Kinect launches in November, and will essentially be “Avatar 2.0.”

The change was implemented because the current Avatars’ oddly proportioned bodies don’t track well with Microsoft’s new gesture-recognition technology. Here’s hoping all those tees and Storm Trooper outfits still fit.

Hopefully there'll also be some more customization options, too.  I've always disliked their cutesy look, some I suppose I'm intrigued by this announcement.
#2 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Nice. It probably won't be as big of a deal as they're making it seem with all the "Avatar 2.0" talk though.

#3 Posted by ProfessorEss (7323 posts) -

I just hope they stay somewhat cartoony and don't go for too much of a realistic look.

#4 Edited by Ghostiet (5250 posts) -

I hope I'll still be able to create my avatar as an African-American with an afro and goatee, dressed in a white suit with a gold chain dangling on his neck. Because that's how I roll, muthafucka.

#5 Edited by Kbm600 (446 posts) -

More realistic? So it'll basically just be me in there? Can I cross dress? Implants? Facial scarring? How in depth are we talking here? Further customization in the facial hair?

#6 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -
@Kbm600: I assume they're gonna look less like a Charlie Brown character, and more like a person. 
#7 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

I wonder if they're going to look like PS Home avatars...

#8 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

that's the last thing i want 

#9 Posted by RankRabbit (394 posts) -

They all stand like ladies.

#10 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

I dislike avatars in general.

#11 Posted by RussianDrink (117 posts) -

I hope the Avatar costumes and such will still fit. 

Also I wish each outfit introduced new animations (for example Ezio/Altair assassin robes would be so awesome).

#12 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -
@RankRabbit said:
" They all stand like ladies. "
This.  Fix this.
#13 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

Read as 

"We are removing feet, and shoes, and arms, and legs , and necks"

#14 Posted by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

i think Avatars are exactly as how I would want them in their current state. The perfect middle ground between the Miis and the Home avatars. Or it can get super weird and it's a 3D image of yourself.

#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I'm going to assume they are just going to make them the same proportions as a real person. If not that, a complete overhaul, making them look similar to the Playstation Home avatars.

#16 Posted by Stilblad (89 posts) -

It just sounds like the proportions are gonna change so I assume they will be shrinking the heads down.

#17 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

cool but i don't like avatars at all. cool about them but i don't care for them. i just enjoy playing my video games.

#18 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
I dunno why, but the way they look makes me want to murder them. They're creepy, cheesy, and fake every time I see them in ads or in games. At least the Miis were just simplistic and you could make Spider-man and Kenny out of them.

@Damien said:
" @RankRabbit said:
This.  Fix this. "
Also, this.
#19 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

If I can thrust my junk in front of the Kinect camera so that my realistic avatar does the same, win is for all.

#20 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

inb4bamhereitis.

And will the Kinect camera double as a live vision camera? In that case, will we be seeing higher resolution nakedness on UNO now?

#21 Posted by Spoonman671 (4596 posts) -

Is this due to "bam, there it is"?

#22 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
" I hope I'll still be able to create my avatar as an African-American with an afro and goatee, dressed in a white suit with a gold chain dangling on his neck. Because that's how I roll, muthafucka. "
holy shit, one of my friends is dressed just like you said. Cant remember his exact gamertag, but I thought that was funny that more than one person did that same wardrobe. 
#23 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

So.... Playstation Home?

#24 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

@Damien said:
" @RankRabbit said:
This.  Fix this. "
Also, this. "
this!!!!!!
#25 Posted by knownspace (85 posts) -
@animateria: Home avatars only look realistic if you're a meth head irl.
#26 Posted by selbie (1884 posts) -
@rjayb89 said:
" If I can thrust my junk in front of the Kinect camera so that my realistic avatar does the same, win is for all. "
wa-BAM! there it is!
#27 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" I dislike avatars in general. "
I agree with this, I never look at them, and when I do, it's normally followed by the comment "You actually purchased that for your avatar?"
#28 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -
@knownspace said:
" @animateria: Home avatars only look realistic if you're a meth head irl. "
That's what I meant. The current 360 ones look cute but if they try realistic shit it might come out creepy as the Home ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.