Limbo 4%
Fez 4%
Mark of the Ninja 6%
Bastion 12%
Pac Man CE DX 11%
Trials Evolution 7%
Minecraft 0%
Other 11%

If you could only pick one, which would suggest as the best intro to XBLA?

#1 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3791 posts) -

Halo: Combat Evolved

#2 Edited by plop1920 (450 posts) -

Meatboyyyyyy

#3 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Who is the audience?

#4 Posted by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

I voted for Shadow Complex because its the only one you can't get anywhere else. Godammit Chair, make Shadow Complex 2 already!

#5 Edited by TheStandardToaster (189 posts) -

Bastion!

#6 Edited by skuski (68 posts) -

Probably just nostalgia, but I remember sinking hours into Geometry Wars when there was nothing else to play.

#7 Posted by BBAlpert (1580 posts) -

Start with XBLIG. After that, you can play anything on XBLA and it'll feel like a masterpiece.

#8 Posted by Rafaelfc (1470 posts) -

Super Meat Boy

#9 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1857 posts) -

I voted for Shadow Complex because its the only one you can't get anywhere else. Godammit Chair, make Shadow Complex 2 already!

That's a perfectly fair argument and pretty much swayed my decision to Shadow Complex.

#10 Edited by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

Bastion all the way. Its my favorite XBLA game and one of the best games of this generation.

And to think, I had no interest in the game at all before it came out. I've been on this site since pretty much the beginning, and I skipped all of the "Making Of" videos.

#11 Posted by believer258 (12210 posts) -

Shadow Complex, if only because all of the others are available elsewhere. Well, Trials Evolution isn't, but that sort of game doesn't greatly appeal to me so I won't recommend it.

#12 Edited by development (2647 posts) -

Heh, you didn't include Braid and Super Meat Boy? They were the vanguards of great XBLA releases.

Braid, hands down; followed by SMB. They weren't exclusives, but they still did a ton to popularize XBLA, which a lot of 360 owners didn't even know existed.

#13 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Pac-Man CE DX. Everybody knows Pac-Man (or, should...), but this is just the perfect evolution of the game. I love it.

#14 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Shadow Complex, easily.

#15 Posted by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

My vote would be other; as in Castle Crashers.

#16 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -

Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, or BattleBlock Theater, because they're the best exclusives. Of those three, I probably enjoyed 'Splosion Man the most. Just annoyed I can't beat hardcore mode.

Shadow Complex, if only because all of the others are available elsewhere. Well, Trials Evolution isn't, but that sort of game doesn't greatly appeal to me so I won't recommend it.

Trials Evolution is on Steam now.

#17 Posted by skuski (68 posts) -

How has Minecraft not garnered a single vote?

#18 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

Hm. That's a very good question. Like, my "best possible intro" to the 360 is still pretty handily "The Orange Box, a copy of Rock Band 2/Beatles/3 with instruments, a copy of Mass Effect, a copy of Fallout 3, and a copy of Super Street Fighter IV." I think that covers a pretty good spectrum of ideas and things that make this generation so awesome. Also, I'd feel pretty comfortable swapping Mass Effect for The Walking Dead, Fallout 3 for Skyrim, or Super Street Fighter IV for Mortal Kombat.

So, in a sense, I think The Walking Dead would make a pretty great intro. Alternatively, my early thoughts were Braid, Fez, Spelunky, and Castle Crashers.

#19 Edited by Reisz (1527 posts) -

@skuski said:

How has Minecraft not garnered a single vote?

It's great but there is nothing uniquely XBLA about the 360 Minecraft port.

Just one? Mark of the Ninja.

Full disclosure: I have not played Shadow Complex.

#20 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

No Braid?

#21 Posted by Shaunage (733 posts) -

Geometry Wars was my intro, and that did the trick.

#22 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

I went with Limbo cause it looks awesome and doesn't overstay its welcome. A good starter. Not saying it's the best game on that list or even that I'd vote for it if asked again. I dunno just went with it cause that's how I do.

#23 Posted by skuski (68 posts) -

Here's to hoping this year's Summer of Arcade goes out with a bang! Limbo and Bastion were incredible summer games.

#24 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

Mark of the Ninja because that game is DOPE AS HEEEEEELL.

#25 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2620 posts) -

I own over 100 XBLA games and honestly I couldn't tell you what the best intro is. Just download some trials to games that look interesting to you and go from there.

#26 Edited by Viking_Funeral (1917 posts) -

Shadow Complex was so damn good.

#27 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

If I'm not mistaken, Shadow Complex and Geometry Wars are the only games on that list exclusive to XBLA. So unless you've been living under a rock the past few years, Shadow Complex I guess.

#28 Posted by JadeGL (975 posts) -

My vote would be other; as in Castle Crashers.

Yeah I said other for this. My second choice would be Shadow Complex.

#29 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Shadow Complex. I'm still waiting for a sequel from Chair if they can get their hands off the phonecrowd for a year.

#30 Edited by maskedarcstrike (700 posts) -
#31 Edited by skuski (68 posts) -

Still no Minecraft votes.. Very surprising

#32 Edited by RedCricketChase (446 posts) -

Is this poll asking which of those games is the most impressive single game to have an XBL newbie play?

#33 Posted by mabber36 (129 posts) -

the real correct answer is marble blast ultra

too bad you can no longer buy it

#34 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Super Meat Boy, all the way.

#35 Edited by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

Geometry Wars

but actually this:

@mabber36 said:

#36 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Geometry wars the start of my understanding of what XBLA was trying to achieve, so that's pretty much the perfect example for that platform.

#37 Edited by matti00 (675 posts) -

@mabber36 said:

The sequel to Kula World we were all waiting for.

#38 Posted by skuski (68 posts) -

Is Geometry Wars 2 worth the money? I loved Geo Wars, but I am torn whether or not investing in Geo Wars 2 is worth it..

#39 Edited by OmniscientCajun (140 posts) -

My vote went to Geometry Wars. Not only did it introduce early 360 adopters to XBLA, it's a simple game that can be immediately understood and enjoyed. Which I feel is the strength of many smaller games and the core of most of the best XBLA games. But you really can't go wrong with any of the titles in the poll (I can't speak to Minecraft, having never played it) or some of the other games mentioned here (Super Meat Boy, Braid, 'Splosion Man, Castle Crashers).

@skuski said:

Is Geometry Wars 2 worth the money? I loved Geo Wars, but I am torn whether or not investing in Geo Wars 2 is worth it..

If you loved Geometry Wars, you'll really enjoy Geometry Wars 2 for $10. Or wait til it goes on sale and grab it for $5 or less. It has some really clever variations on the Geometry Wars formula.

#40 Posted by skuski (68 posts) -

Alright, I'm taking the plunge... 800 MS points

#41 Posted by Cybexx (1231 posts) -

Geometry Wars is the quintessential XBLA game, it doesn't have the depth or breadth of most of the other games on this list but it was easily the best 360 launch game, it defined what XBLA was and its also the prime early example of how to design Achievements. A lot of the early excitement of Geometry Wars was leader-board battles, so its missing that now but its still a great game. Geometry Wars 2 is a fantastic sequel.

Everything else on that list is totally worth playing and consists of games that were in my top 10 in the year they were released, except Minecraft, just play that on PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.