Beware: Your Old Xbox Stores Personal Information

#1 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116568-Beware-Your-Old-Xbox-Stores-Personal-Information 

Er, so. Fair warning to anyone that has or is thinking about throwing away their Xbox.  

Might wanna use 

a specific formatting application likeBoot and Nuke  to completely erase information from the magnetic disks. 

because apparently  

all of your personal information is stored on the console's hard drive - even if you wipe the drive clean. 

Ashley Podhradsky from Drexel University in Philadelphia experimented with common tools and applications on a refurbished Xbox 360 and easily grabbed the previous owner's sensitive bits like credit card number, address and real name. 

The more you know...
#2 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (140 posts) -

whelp, that blows.

#3 Posted by N7 (3588 posts) -

BRING DOWN THE ESTABLISHMENT. OCCUPY HARDDRIVES2012! PERSONAL INFORMATION WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!

#4 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Well, glad my only hard drive I've ever had for the 5 (FIVE!) Xbox-es before the one I just got at Christmas is on my desk.

#5 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well that sucks. my last xbox 360 broke from me dropping it. microsoft was nice enough to send me a new 20 gig hard drive. still had warranty with it.

#6 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
So this must have been Scott Tenorman's goal.
#7 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Thats nice to know but I don't see myself getting rid of my 360 hardware for a long time and I always destroy hard drives, discs, ect ect.

#8 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

well my xbox will stay with me indefinitely, hopefully lasting as long as my n64. gathering dust in a box to play with once every year or two

#9 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.