Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Can you install disc games to usb?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By trophyhunter

Can you fully install mass effect 1 or 2 to a usb and play of the usb stick?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

anyone?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By FacelessVixen

Yes you can.

Lanceuppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Lanceuppercut

Yeah, but normally it takes a long time for the game to install, and I'm not sure their is any difference in load times or anything like that.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Lanceuppercut said:
    " Yeah, but normally it takes a long time for the game to install, and I'm not sure their is any difference in load times or anything like that. "
    well if there was no difference in the load times. Why would they even let you install it?
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Because Microsoft want to invest more in the XBLA content but the people who bought the arcade 360 (which comes without hard drive) dont have anyware to download it to.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Lanceuppercut said:
    " Yeah, but normally it takes a long time for the game to install, and I'm not sure their is any difference in load times or anything like that. "
    well if there was no difference in the load times. Why would they even let you install it? "
    They let you install every game, regardless of if the load times will actually improve. Most will improve, but then there's the Halo 3's of the world that may actually get worse. Also, reduced disc spinning noise is a good reason for any game.
    Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By Stefan
    @JJWeatherman said:
    reduced disc spinning noise is a good reason for any game. "
    that, my 2005 Xbox 360 is nooooooooooooisy
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Stefan said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    reduced disc spinning noise is a good reason for any game. "
    that, my 2005 Xbox 360 is nooooooooooooisy "
    Holy crap you still have a 2005 360? Those will be worth millions in like 30 years.
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By OldGuy

Actually: 1) The install/load times will depend on the usb drive (or extrenal HDD) that you are using. Some will be just as fast as the standard HDD. 2) You install so the disc doesn't spin constantly (which is good for me since my 360 is on my desk about 2 feet from me rather than across the room). 3) Not ALL 360 games will install - well, maybe, Crackdown used to be in this category, but it can be installed now with a new title update (done so they could put it in Games on Demand, I'd guess).

The PNY 16GB Attache drive I have seems to be (and was tested elsewhere to be) just as fast as the HDD.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#11  Edited By Stefan
    @JJWeatherman: yeah, no HDMI for me my friend
    EleFlameMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By EleFlameMax

Wait, if you install Mass Effect to a USB, does the acronym change?

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By DukeTogo

There were some tests done when the feature went live and a few drives were found to be faster.  They all load about the same since it's somewhat governed by the game and the USB data rate, but installing speed actually differed quite a bit.  Some drives took 5 minutes, where others took 20 minutes, making the one you choose important.  Install speed might not be that big an issue since you usually let it run while you do something else, but again if your 360 is a relic, you don't like to leave it on any longer than you have to.

That being said, it's really only useful if you don't want to drop money on a big HDD, especially if you're on an old unit that's going to blow up anyway.  Like the above person, I've got a launch 360, it's noisy as hell and has a tiny 20gb hdd.  I'm not about to drop $120 on a new 250gb hdd for a system that's a ticking time bomb.  I need the room to install games though since I have quite a few DLC packs, XBLA games, updates and the NXE taking up my meager 20gb hdd - and I want to limit the amount of wear on my system by not having the drive spinning generating heat, vibrations, and the fact that the drive is old as well.

So I bought 2 16gb usb thumbdrives to allow me to install a few games and have content on my hdd without constantly having to delete and redownload all the time.  This is especially useful for games that you play for extended periods, like Mass Effect, RDR, and Fallout, since you can play for hours without that blasted drive spinning like a vacuum cleaner - also making for a more enjoyable game with less noise.

One last point, after the 360 becomes last gen and we're into the next wave of hardware, those USB drives can be used for normal computing needs, whereas a 250gb 360 hdd will be a doorstop.

sorawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sorawesome

thanks for your thought duke, i have a 2008 360 but i dont want to buy a hdd because like you said, when it's next generation the hdd wont be worth anything.
    looking for the cheapest 16gb or 2 8gbs i can find.

BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrokenCage

Also worth noting, any installed games will be tethered to the Xbox you installed it to. So if you think you can install it to a USB drive, take it to your friends house, and quickly jump into a game on his Xbox, you're going to be disappointed.
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Damien
    @BrokenCage said:
    " Also worth noting, any installed games will be tethered to the Xbox you installed it to. So if you think you can install it to a USB drive, take it to your friends house, and quickly jump into a game on his Xbox, you're going to be disappointed. "
    Really? Even if you bring the disc?
    BrokenCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BrokenCage
    @Damien said:
    " @BrokenCage said:
    " Also worth noting, any installed games will be tethered to the Xbox you installed it to. So if you think you can install it to a USB drive, take it to your friends house, and quickly jump into a game on his Xbox, you're going to be disappointed. "
    Really? Even if you bring the disc? "

Yup. I have to install a game on both xboxes, then carry my profile on a USB stick. Don't know if being online changes anything, my bedroom 360 is offline.
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By SpiralStairs

I never play games without installing them because my 360 makes way too much noise.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DocPorpoise

different usb drives have different install times. here's a test the rooster teeth guys did.

fatwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fatwreck

This is exactly the info I've been looking for, thanks GB boards!  

Living in Canada, we don't have a lot of use for xbox storage (unless you want to load your entire collection to the HD) so to save some cash, I'm replacing my recently red ringed 360 with a 4 gig redesigned model and just popping in a 16 gig flash drive or two. 

Another question, how do you get the data from a red ringed 360 hd to a new redesigned model? Does the transfer cable interact directly with the hd or do you need two working systems to do this? I suppose I could try toweling it for just enough life to pull my data, but that's a last resort.

ItsAJackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ItsAJackal
    @BrokenCage said:
    " @Damien said:
    " @BrokenCage said:
    Really? Even if you bring the disc? "
    Yup. I have to install a game on both xboxes, then carry my profile on a USB stick. Don't know if being online changes anything, my bedroom 360 is offline. "
    That's just really inconvenient.
    one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By one_2nd

Yeah, but you'll still need the disc to play the game. 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Bruce
    @Lanceuppercut:  

Could you link me to some possible external storage solutions for the newly designed 4GB Xboxes?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.