Chrome Eggsbawks 360 controllers are now a thing

#1 Edited by Zacagawea (1590 posts) -

and they (well, the silver one) look kinda cool. You can get these bad boys in the middle of May, which is less than specific.

They even have the fancy transforming D-pad that doesn't really fix anything.

Anybody going to pick one up? I certainly don't feel very confident in my abilities to resist them. They're expensive as fuck like any other controller $54.99, but at least they you can be sure to look cool while pressing buttons. They're also probably not going to be in every region or in every color in all regions.

This is a silver one
This is a red one

http://majornelson.com/2012/04/02/announcing-the-xbox-360-special-edition-chrome-series-wireless-controllers/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majornelson/sets/72157629724350813/

This one's blue (it's for pussies)

Edit: Apparently certain color controllers will be retailer exclusive

For the US, the colors will be available a the following stores:
  • GameStop - Blue
  • Walmart - Red
  • Best Buy/MS Store – Silver
#2 Posted by EuanDewar (4899 posts) -

OH COOL THE MIDDLE OF MAY, LIKE A FEW DAYS AFTER MY BIRTHDAY WHEN I WILL HAVE MONEY TO BUY- OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#3 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I bet those will look real good all covered in fingerprints and hand grease.

#4 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Too bad they didn't fix the D-Pad. We'll still be breaking the axl's off with any sort of serious play.

#5 Posted by Zacagawea (1590 posts) -

The colors are apparently retailer exclusive...

/facepalm

#6 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Good god no.

#7 Edited by believer258 (11819 posts) -

Yeah, every wireless controller I've gotten for my Xbox, ever, has had the analog sticks become loose and annoying, despite being immaculately taken care of. My wired one, however, the only one I've ever had, is oft-used and has never failed me. I don't really see myself buying a replacement anytime soon.

These do look as slick as catcrap on linoleum floor, but a few hours after opening them the excitement will have worn off and you'll just have a brand-new, more fingerprint-y controller.

#8 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Definitely getting one of these.

I haven't bought any new controllers since i bought my system at launch, there is pretty much no rubber left on my thumb-stick but it lasted 5 years so i'm not complaining.

#9 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (131 posts) -

This look like they would make your hands sweat a lot, so no thanks.

#10 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

Controllers now cost as much as new video games. 

#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

The blue one looks cool, but these would get covered in fingerprints really fast.

@believer258 said:

Yeah, every wireless controller I've gotten for my Xbox, ever, has had the analog sticks become loose and annoying, despite being immaculately taken care of.

Yup, I've gone through a bunch of controllers for this same reason. I should just buy a wired one, but I don't want to deal with wires again...

#12 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (866 posts) -

These look really nice, but my silver controller with transforming d-pad still works fine...

#13 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

This feels like an appropriate thread to drop a SHINY METAL BAWKSES and leave.

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7079 posts) -

I'll buy one of these seeing as I need a new controller anyway.

#15 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

The fingerprints, oh god the fingerprints.

#16 Posted by mabber36 (129 posts) -

those are hideous, who likes chrome anyway?

I'll just stick to my silver controller

#17 Posted by ahgunsillyo (448 posts) -

Can they just put out that gold chrome C-3PO controller separately so I don't have to buy another (albeit completely awesome) XBox to get it?

And hmm... you'd think that Wal-Mart would get the blue and GameStop would get the red, not the other way around. Curious.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4970 posts) -

Oh, dude, he said "eggsbawks". Sick burn, dude. That'll teach Microsoft.

#19 Posted by selbie (1886 posts) -

This is what I wanted Nintendo to do for the gold zelda wiimote. Stingy fuckers

#20 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

So, GameStop, with a red logo, sells blue and Walmart, with a blue logo, sells red. Makes sense. Anyway, the only good controller is a matte one.

#21 Posted by Bollard (5453 posts) -

They are teh secks, but they shat the bed by not making the buttons monochromatic like in the original twisty d-pad controller. That shit was bouse.

#22 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

So sexy... but I already have one controller I never use. I don't need a second one...

#23 Edited by sungahymn (1007 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

So, GameStop, with a red logo, sells blue and Walmart, with a blue logo, sells red. Makes sense. Anyway, the only good controller is a matte one.

Yin and Yang, dude. OBVIOUSLY. Same thing happened with Pokemon Black and White.

EDIT: This is sarcasm. I apologize if I accidentally offended you.

#24 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Remember when controllers were clear? I had an artic clear psOne controller and that was the shit when I was a kid because I could see how it rumbled. I'd buy a clear 360 controller.

#25 Posted by Andorski (5290 posts) -

Looks gaudy.

#26 Edited by AndrewB (7593 posts) -

Like, real chrome? Fingerprint and grease magnets. My regular controllers are bad enough, and I don't use them too often these days.

Fake chrome, and what's the point? The paint will rub off instantly.

Hooray for being negative!

#27 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I already have those nifty Gears 3 ones. Plus they went with a really gay blue so fuck them.

#28 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

No green? What the hell is wrong with you Microsoft?

#29 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (378 posts) -

oo shiney, but I'll stick with my Razer pad :)

#30 Posted by Hunkulese (2702 posts) -

Do you greasy people never wash your hands?

#31 Posted by nickb64 (214 posts) -
@Zacagawea I would have thought the blue one would be for walmart, being their branding color. Seems weird that they got red.
#32 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

I bet those will look real good all covered in fingerprints and hand grease.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw these, too.

#33 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2686 posts) -

I like the red one, but I'm sure as hell not buying something from Walmart.

#34 Posted by therealminime (233 posts) -

I will be buying one of the silver ones because it is ridiculous looking and I don't have any ridiculous looking controllers, they are all matte black and boring!

#35 Edited by pweidman (2326 posts) -

These look sweet, especially the blue one. I'll stick to my silver ones though, and the new d-pad is a nice improvement.

Still waiting on a billet aluminum pad....cold and clean. :)

#36 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1826 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: the dualshock controllers were always $70

#37 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

These look pretty visually offensive in these pictures, maybe they look better in real-life. As others said though, they'd pick up fingerprints real bad.

#38 Posted by LiquidPrince (15919 posts) -

I prefer matte.

#39 Posted by 71Ranchero (2742 posts) -

Oh god those are horrible. They couldn't get any more tacky without large amounts of glue.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.