co-op like baldur's gate

#1 Posted by Trylks (829 posts) -

Hi,

I was quite disappointed after checking that the co-op mode in Dungeon Siege III is very asymmetrical, one player is playing the game and the others are helping but not really part of that game. That's nice but not what I was looking for. I'm looking for a game that is 2 player couch co-op and both players have the same experience.

So far I have Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (which is not really an RPG), and borderlands, which is an RPG but it's very different from Baldur's Gate and Dungeon Siege III.

Anything you could suggest?

Thank you.

#2 Posted by Flaboere (344 posts) -

It probably won't be long before Torchlight 2 is out, that should cover it a bit. Also, I don't know if it's for Xbox but Dungeon Hunter Alliance has that gameplay.

#3 Edited by Trylks (829 posts) -

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, none of those games are announced for XBox. One more reason to move to PC...

I'll wait a little bit until second gen core i7 are cheaper, though, and then maybe some more.

#4 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Do you mean Baldur's gate Dark Alliance for consoles?   Or Baldur's gate for PC?  They are pretty different.  If you mean the console games, check out this quick look.

#5 Posted by Spam101 (143 posts) -

sacred 2. But only if you're desperate.

i grew to love couch coop dungeon siege. You do both get the full experience. Just something about it wasn't as rich as dark alliance.

I believe D&D daggervale is similar though only from what i've read.

#6 Posted by BigDaddy81 (330 posts) -

You might try Lord of the Rings: War in the North. I think it has couch co-op but I'm not 100% sure. The girlfriend and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

#7 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Hearing someone say co-op like Baldur's Gate is just all types of wrong. That would mean you are talking about the shitty console Diablo clones and not the epic PC RPG series.

#8 Edited by pweidman (2342 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

You might try Lord of the Rings: War in the North. I think it has couch co-op but I'm not 100% sure. The girlfriend and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Yeah WitN is excellent.

Another possibility is Hunted: The Demon's Forge. Local and online co-op, and a lvl creation mode. Decent, not great, but the co-op is well implemented, and makes the game better than sp.

XBL has several co-op dungeon crawl type games. Dungeon Defender, and Crimson Alliance both have local and online co-op.

BTW, Renegade Ops is a different genre but is absolutely kickass, local and online co-op too.

Do not get Daggerdale. It's broken and the dev is gone/out of biz w/no repair in sight. A shame as it had potential for an XBL D&D game.

Dead Island for zombie slaying maybe. No local pretty sure. Some really love it. Forgetting some...damn my addled brain.

Oh, duh, Diablo 3 on May 15!!!

Another note: For awesome co-op info, check out the Co-Optimus site...great news source and constantly updated, all pretty much geared to co-op goodness.

#9 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -

War In The North is a good couch coop.

#10 Edited by Rowr (5824 posts) -

I was searching around in futility for an old school console couch coop game a few days ago when i found this thread, following some of the suggestions I found mostly middling downloadable titles and War in the North is fucking 73 dollars in the AUS steam store for some reason. I actually ended up going with dungeon siege 3 after looking into it a little (not familiar with the series.)

My wife and I played for 8 hours straight and another 4 hours yesterday.

It's exactly the old school console coop dungeon crawl i was looking for, the graphics are awesome on PC, the gameplay is varied and balanced (the boss fights are great) and the quests and locations are interesting. With some improved voice acting,character design and a more accessible presentation of the story (stick with it, it gets better) this could of been a classic. It really makes me wish Bioware or someone could make a full blown AAA ARPG. Maybe diablo 3 coming to consoles could reinvigorate the genre.

The console UI is a bit hard to navigate and it takes a bit of investigation to work out exactly how the game works as far as the progression system, focus, stats etc. I don't know whether it's by association to past console games, but the interface is misleading to the actual depth of the game. As someone that has enjoyed various couch coop dungeon crawlers with friends over the years and looking for a champions of norrah sort of deal, I can't recommend it enough to anyone looking for the same thing in what now seems to be a dead or oversimplified genre.

I have no idea what the reference to this game being asymmetrical in coop is, perhaps it was patched at a later date? But this seems to play fine in local coop, both players level up, both collect individual loot. Gold is shared i guess, and perhaps experience since you level up at the same time, but as far as i can see these are things are positives as they minimise time stuck looking at friends inventory/level up screens without any real gameplay drawbacks.

If you find this thread looking for something similar, take a look. For 15 dollars or whatever on steam, you are going to find a much fuller game than some of the other downloadables.

Don't be frightened off by the poor reviews, as far as i can tell initially the PC version port was very poor at the height of shitty ports from console to PC. Combine this with the apparent PC based lineage of the series and you can see why everyone was up at arms.

Make no mistake it's definitely tailored to using a gamepad, if you intend to play local coop you will need two gamepads.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.