Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Comparison between Xbox and X360

• 71 results
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I didn't realize this until I was playing my Xbox this weekend (Morrowind, to be exact), but the Xbox has more wired controller ports, has a more stable disc drive and is quieter than the Xbox 360.

This makes me mad, because it seems like Microsoft spent way too much time with the graphics and online capabilities for the 360, rather than make a piece of hardware that was overall improved over its predecessor.

Nerje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Nerje

I think you're nuts.

The wired ports are not an issue because you have the better option of wireless controllers.  I don't know about the noise issue either... maybe the more recent Xboxes were quieter but the very first ones to come out unleashed a death hum that could kill native wildlife, and rattle windows out of their frames.

Anyway, would you rather better graphics, or a more silent machine with outdated tech?

I think Microsoft's priorities were in the right place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think the Xbox was a pretty well built machine, quality I mean. But yeah, it's just a sacrifice they had to make in order to get the console out early, thats all.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Nerje said:
    "I think you're nuts.

The wired ports are not an issue because you have the better option of wireless controllers.  I don't know about the noise issue either... maybe the more recent Xboxes were quieter but the very first ones to come out unleashed a death hum that could kill native wildlife, and rattle windows out of their frames.

Anyway, would you rather better graphics, or a more silent machine with outdated tech?

I think Microsoft's priorities were in the right place."
    I wish I had both great graphics along with little noise, but I would rather sacrifice graphics than noise. Also, the 360 produce anomalous amounts of heat. Because of this along with the noise factor, I can't really play it for more than an hour or so in my gaming area because the heat and noise become unbearable.

For someone who enjoys marathon sessions of GTA3 and Morrowind, it comes as a disappointment.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Why were you playing Morrowind on your regular Xbox? Morrowind runs on the 360 now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerje said:
    "Anyway, would you rather better graphics, or a more silent machine with outdated tech?"
    But that wasn't the sacrifice at all. They could have done both, if they had taken more time to get the hardware right. But again, they main goal for them was to release the machine as soon as possible ahead of all other next gen systems, which they eventually paid the price for.
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I think the 360 is better than the original XBOX in all aspects. At least the latter 360s anyway.

dum41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By dum41

Eh, its not THAT loud so that'd you notice while playing, is it? Of course, unless you were playing while on mute or something. Otherwise I really like the 360 as a console and have no problems with the hardware. Unless it red ringed on me.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

I haven't regret my 360 purchase yet.
    PS3 on the other hand...

normajean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By normajean777

i regret my purchase
    the ps3 on the other hand.........

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Vinchenzo said:
    "I haven't regret my 360 purchase yet.
    PS3 on the other hand..."
    normajean777 said:
    "i regret my purchase
    the ps3 on the other hand........."
    I regret you two joining the forum...
    The 360's noise really does bother me. Because I play on my computer monitor I sit pretty close to where both my 360 and monitor are and it is pretty loud. If I wear my headphones I don't mind though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a surprise...

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Xbox has more wired controller ports."
    What? Who cares?

And the DVD drive in the original XBox is quieter a
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Demyx
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    What? Who cares?

And the DVD drive in the original XBox is quieter and more "Stable" (although I'm not sure what you mean by this) because it had a much lower drive speed - meaning the drive in the original had to spin the disc around at a much slower rate and was thus generally quieter."
    isn't there an earlier 360 that has wired controllers? maybe he has that one.

AndrewGaspar said:
    "Why were you playing Morrowind on your regular Xbox? Morrowind runs on the 360 now."

probably a save still on the Xbox.

they really had to choose between fixing its problems, or releasing it before its opponents.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Demyx said:
    "BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Arkthemania
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wefwefasdf

You can also use the one on the back . ;-)

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlindEffekt

Wow, people need to stop pondering about there outdated machines, and start fucking enjoying what xbox360 has to offer.
    So what xbox was rushed? I have a launch model and its still working fine, playing soul calibur as i write this.
    Its loud, but i happen to listen to the tv rather then put my ear near the xbox and soak in some machinery noises.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlindEffekt said:
    "Wow, people need to stop pondering about there outdated machines, and start fucking enjoying what xbox360 has to offer.
    So what xbox was rushed? I have a launch model and its still working fine, playing soul calibur as i write this.
    Its loud, but i happen to listen to the tv rather then put my ear near the xbox and soak in some machinery noises.

To be honest, stop playing your xbox past your bedtime, and your parents wont hear it."
    I think that's being a little harsh, to be honest... Ok, thats great, you have a launch system that is still working (according to you), but that doesn't change the fact that thousands and thousands our there DO have a problem, you just can't say "who cares" about that. People can never complain about the flaws of a system (whatever system that may be)?
    BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlindEffekt

Its not harsh, wherever i go on Giantbomb, theres always someone moaning about the Xbox.
    They could easily post there.
    And as for the ( according to you ) crap, i could take a photo if need be.
    And if the thousands of people have problems, i believe theres a little something called customer support.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is harsh, because of the tone you are using, and just generally being aggressive when people might be discussing an issue that is a prominent one, its a fact.

And what I mean with the 'according to you crap', was that your system is still working, I didnt make that up, its according to you, you said it. That's what i meant.

If thousands of people have problems, does calling customer support make the problem non existent? Nope. It's still a problem whether you like it or not, and if you see people discussing this problem, then just don't join the discussion if you don't have to deal with the issue, simple as that.

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BlindEffekt

The thread title is "comparison between xbox and xbox360".
    Yet we have these comments

normajean777 said:

"i regret my purchase
    So as much as you think im the one bashing the topic around, it was already messed up before i posted.
    And please don't tell me you havent seen the exact same topic somewhere else on giantbomb?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlindEffekt said:
    "The thread title is "comparison between xbox and xbox360".
    Yet we have these comments

normajean777 said:
    "i regret my purchase
    So as much as you think im the one bashing the topic around, it was already messed up before i posted.
    And please don't tell me you havent seen the exact same topic somewhere else on giantbomb?"
    *sigh*

Too bad he was being sarcastic/joking, in response to the previous post... did you not read the post before him?:

Vinchenzo said:

So first you whine at people who have complaints against the 360s hardware, and then your turn it around and say there are fanboys in this thread, which is completely not what you were even complaining about to begin with... don't flip flop what you are whining about, especially when it is invalid.
    BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlindEffekt

Haha fail. I'm saying, don't accuse me of being the only one misleading and not helping in this thread.
    Of course thousands of people have problems with their consoles, Every console has its pluses and negatives.
    People have to understand this, and get on with enjoying it.
    Bitching about it wont make your xbox terraform into a perfect console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlindEffekt said:
    "Haha fail. I'm saying, don't accuse me of being the only one misleading and not helping in this thread.
    Of course thousands of people have problems with their consoles, Every console has its pluses and negatives.
    People have to understand this, and get on with enjoying it.
    Bitching about it wont make your xbox terraform into a perfect console.
    "
    Lol, im not accusing you of anything, just saying that you really can't blame people for discussing a topic like this when it really is a fact.

No one is blindly bitching and flaming 360, just saying how and why would the original have better hardware then its successor? Shouldn't things be getting better in terms of hardware as they move on?

So no one is saying there are no pluses to the system, or that this is such a huge problem that the system is one big epic fail; no. It's just something that MATTERS and if some people want to discuss it you really cannot blame them.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "Why were you playing Morrowind on your regular Xbox? Morrowind runs on the 360 now."
    Wow. Just wow.

I'm using my original Xbox because of the reasons I JUST LISTED. IT'S QUIETER AND DOESN'T GET AS HOT. Also, Xbox games on the 360 run like crap, at least the ones I've tried. Also, I don't like wasting batteries on my 360 controllers, because batteries are expensive.

BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Demyx said:
    "BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    What? Who cares?

And the DVD drive in the original XBox is quieter and more "Stable" (although I'm not sure what you mean by this) because it had a much lower drive speed - meaning the drive in the original had to spin the disc around at a much slower rate and was thus generally quieter."
    isn't there an earlier 360 that has wired controllers? maybe he has that one."

My 360 has a couple wired controller ports as well (Hell at least one, I know because I use a wired 360 controller, I  prefer wired to wireless as a general rule because of the no recharging thing, but I believe it's two. I even bought a long PS3-style USB cable so my PS3 controller is constantly plugged in)

I was just wondering.... why would he need 4 wired controller slots on the 360 (as the original XBox had?)

The reason the original XBox had that many was because that was when online play for consoles was still in relative infancy - the original Halo wasn't even on Live. It was either LAN or turning the screen into multiple small cubes on one TV to play it multi... all huddled together.

With Live and the state of multiplayer gaming as it is today I can't imagine any scenario for any game on the 360 that would require that many wired ports (more than two as the 360 has) - any scenario."
    Well, if it had more controller ports, then we wouldn't have to put up with that dumb as hell Rock Band port thing that allows for 4 controllers plugged in at once. Also, as a side note, why does that need it's own power adapter?

But, the point of me bringing this up isn't to say, "OMG teh xbox fanboizorz are teh dumb lol." It's to bring up my frustrations with the console and to see if you had the same frustrations, because no one seems to ever have any legitimate criticisms for the console, except for, you know, the Wii and Sony fanboys riding the RRoD train until they reach Dodge. I've enjoyed the original Xbox more than the 360, partly because of these very reasons. Local multiplayer on the console is sparse (unless I want to play Halo 3, which I'm sorry, but I'm not ready for that kind of recycling), and it really does act as a radiator for my game room, producing more heat than my computer and Wii combined. I know that everyone and their mom thinks that the Xbox 360 is the superior console, but how can it be the best console when it is worse than its predecessor?

Does this console race really suck THAT much ass?
    Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Major
    normajean777 said:
    "i regret my purchase
    Obvious troll is obvious.

I honestly have no problem with the noise of the 360.. I can usually tone it out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Major said:
    "normajean777 said:
    "i regret my purchase

I honestly have no problem with the noise of the 360.. I can usually tone it out."
    Sentry said:
    "He was being sarcastic/joking, in response to the previous post... did you not read the post before him?:

Vinchenzo said:
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Does this console race really suck THAT much ass?"

If you're willing to overlook the shitload of killer games, sure.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Does this console race really suck THAT much ass?"

If you're willing to overlook the shitload of killer games, sure."
    Yeah, I guess it's the games that matter. I'd probably put up with the technical deficiencies if I had some games to play. I only have 6, because they're so expensive, and GameFly is hell bent on making sure my gaming experience is ALL Nintendo.
    Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Major
    Sentry said:
    "Major said:
    "normajean777 said:
    "i regret my purchase

I honestly have no problem with the noise of the 360.. I can usually tone it out."
    Sentry said:
    "He was being sarcastic/joking, in response to the previous post... did you not read the post before him?:

Vinchenzo said:
    "
    Nothing ever gets past you, Sentry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Major said:
    "Sentry said:
    "Major said:
    "normajean777 said:
    "i regret my purchase

Sentry said:

Vinchenzo said:
    "
    Nothing ever gets past you, Sentry."
    Hah, you know it.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I don't use GameFly, so I don't really know what's going on there. I do have all three systems this time though, and I can't say I'm really let down by any of them (being that I survived the 32X addon, Jaguar, etc. days of true money black holes that I so looked forward to, worked like Hell to get, and tried so hard to actually enjoy. Futility.)

And the games aren't really any more expensive than they've always been. Adjusted for inflation they were more expensive 10 / 15 years ago than they are today, and a few games like Chrono Trigger were insanely expensive back then, like 70 bucks (let alone sitting there wanting to own Neo-Geo homecarts and a home console... wanting to play games with your buddies at home that you poured quarters upon quarters into in the arcades.... while the ads for the AES in magazines taunted you. That shit was a pipe dream in those days.) It's pretty streamlined an manageable today if anything, somehow less "exotic" though because of it.

It can get expensive though. Does suck, but you gotta pay to play, has always been that way.

Avatar image for blacksuitandtie9
    BlackSuitAndTie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BlackSuitAndTie9

The Xbox 360 is leagues better than the original, they basically improved upon virtually everything with it. Also, you're complaining about ports? The 360 doesn't need ports because you use wireless controllers, so that argument is pointless.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BlackSuitAndTie9 said:
    "The Xbox 360 is leagues better than the original, they basically improved upon virtually everything with it. Also, you're complaining about ports? The 360 doesn't need ports because you use wireless controllers, so that argument is pointless."
    Well, I once knocked over my Xbox, and the disc inside was fine. I once slid my 360 on the carpet about 4 to 5 inches, and now the game is busted. So there's one thing that wasn't improved...

Keep in mind I'M NOT SAYING I HATE THE SYSTEM. It's just that there's flaws. No one has yet brought them up, so I took the liberty.
    Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Yeah the original Xbox was built like a tank, never had a single problem with it.

Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Residentrevil2

Well, at least the 360 looks better.  I remember the first time I saw the original Xbox I laughed. 

The only real problem the original Xbox had though was the Hard Drives and disc drives failing.  That is what made me forget the Xbox and pick up the 360. 

Does anyone remember the fake name your Xbox was assigned whenever you looked it up in Halo?  I think mine was named George.        
    LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By LightYagami245
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "AndrewGaspar said:
    Wow. Just wow.

I'm using my original Xbox because of the reasons I JUST LISTED. IT'S QUIETER AND DOESN'T GET AS HOT. Also, Xbox games on the 360 run like crap, at least the ones I've tried. Also, I don't like wasting batteries on my 360 controllers, because batteries are expensive.

Get the Play and Charge kit. It's very inexpensive.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#38  Edited By Vinchenzo
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    normajean777 said:
    "i regret my purchase
    The 360's noise really does bother me. Because I play on my computer monitor I sit pretty close to where both my 360 and monitor are and it is pretty loud. If I wear my headphones I don't mind though.
    "
    You guys really overreacted to my comment.

Firstly, Spike, get over yourself.

Secondly, my comment was a personal opinion which I did not detail upon.

The original Xbox at first I was reluctant to buy. But the PS2 was a no-brainer. Then the next-gen era consoles come out, and the tables were turned. Xbox 360 was the no-brainer and PS3 was the questionable system to me. Xbox 360 is a million times better than the original; any heating problems you have are resolved by proper ventilation, and I can't live without the guide button.

I feel, in response to the original poster, that the disc drive (and if I'm correct this is about circle scratches right?) is fine, you just have to be placing the system correctly. As for wired ports, it's fine with 2 because I prefer wireless controllers on my 360. And the sound -- you don't hear anything when playing the actual games.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Vinchenzo said:
    "SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    normajean777 said:
    "i regret my purchase
    "
    You guys really overreacted to my comment.

Firstly, Spike, get over yourself.

Secondly, my comment was a personal opinion which I did not detail upon.

The original Xbox at first I was reluctant to buy. But the PS2 was a no-brainer. Then the next-gen era consoles come out, and the tables were turned. Xbox 360 was the no-brainer and PS3 was the questionable system to me. Xbox 360 is a million times better than the original; any heating problems you have are resolved by proper ventilation, and I can't live without the guide button.

I feel, in response to the original poster, that the disc drive (and if I'm correct this is about circle scratches right?) is fine, you just have to be placing the system correctly. As for wired ports, it's fine with 2 because I prefer wireless controllers on my 360. And the sound -- you don't hear anything when playing the actual games."
    I was just trying to be funny. ;-) I am a nice person, honest.
    BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BlindEffekt
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "BlackSuitAndTie9 said:
    "The Xbox 360 is leagues better than the original, they basically improved upon virtually everything with it. Also, you're complaining about ports? The 360 doesn't need ports because you use wireless controllers, so that argument is pointless."
    Well, I once knocked over my Xbox, and the disc inside was fine. I once slid my 360 on the carpet about 4 to 5 inches, and now the game is busted. So there's one thing that wasn't improved...

Keep in mind I'M NOT SAYING I HATE THE SYSTEM. It's just that there's flaws. No one has yet brought them up, so I took the liberty."
    I don't think they had people bashing their console in mind when they were creating the xbox man.
    shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shadowjak
    Nerje said:
    "I think you're nuts.

I agree. The 360 is a 100% improvement from the orignal xbox, especially in terms of games and xbox live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shadowjak said:
    "Nerje said:
    "I think you're nuts.

I agree. The 360 is a 100% improvement from the orignal xbox, especially in terms of games and xbox live"
    I think we are talking about HARDWARE improvements (or lack there of), not SOFTWARE improvements, which undoubtedly improved, of course.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By crunchUK

in my opinion i have never felt cables that are as great as the xbox 1 ones

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BlindEffekt

o_O i don't really feel my cables, so i cant comment

shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shadowjak
    Sentry said:
    "shadowjak said:
    "Nerje said:
    "I think you're nuts.

I agree. The 360 is a 100% improvement from the orignal xbox, especially in terms of games and xbox live"
    I think we are talking about HARDWARE improvements (or lack there of), not SOFTWARE improvements, which undoubtedly improved, of course."

I meant amount of software when I said that because your hardware can be godlike but without good software it'll blow *cough*wii*cough* but we all knew that. Hardwarewise it has still improved full circle. Wireless controllers are more free and fun, the ports are just if you don't feel like paying $10 for a wireless, but at that priceo f only probably being able to do split screen or 3 players at most.  I mentioned xbox live because let's face it, without live the system would blow, on the original xbox live wasn't that great, it improved 100% here which was worth not having an extra controller port.
    LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LightYagami245
    shadowjak said:
    "Sentry said:
    "shadowjak said:
    "Nerje said:
    "I think you're nuts.

I think we are talking about HARDWARE improvements (or lack there of), not SOFTWARE improvements, which undoubtedly improved, of course."

I meant amount of software when I said that because your hardware can be godlike but without good software it'll blow *cough*wii*cough* but we all knew that. Hardwarewise it has still improved full circle. Wireless controllers are more free and fun, the ports are just if you don't feel like paying $10 for a wireless, but at that priceo f only probably being able to do split screen or 3 players at most.  I mentioned xbox live because let's face it, without live the system would blow, on the original xbox live wasn't that great, it improved 100% here which was worth not having an extra controller port."
    I agree with you. Before, I wasn't interested in the first Xbox, but the 360 improved on the things that made me uninterested in it's predecessor.
    Iraqi_Gangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Iraqi_Gangster

At least there wasn't The Red Circle of Death on the old XBOX.

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BlindEffekt
    Iraqi_Gangster said:
    "At least there wasn't The Red Circle of Death on the old XBOX."
    Lol you make a good point
    LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LightYagami245
    Iraqi_Gangster said:
    "At least there wasn't The Red Circle of Death on the old XBOX."
    Good point, but the first Xbox wasn't rushed though, so it's understandable.
    dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dabear
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I didn't realize this until I was playing my Xbox this weekend (Morrowind, to be exact), but the Xbox has more wired controller ports, has a more stable disc drive and is quieter than the Xbox 360.

This makes me mad, because it seems like Microsoft spent way too much time with the graphics and online capabilities for the 360, rather than make a piece of hardware that was overall improved over its predecessor."
    And, it was more reliable.  I still have my launch XBox.  I am on my 3rd 360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.