Connecting my xbox 360 to my PC monitor, how to get sound

#1 Posted by Henrikhoe (198 posts) -

Hello 

So i bought a new xbox 360 today to hook up to my samsung pc monitor. Now picture is great, but i get no audio, which isnt weird, seeing the pc monitor doesnt have internal speakers. 

Now i have a 2.1 system, which uses a single 3.5mm jack to connect to my pc, can i use that, what about headsets etc? 

Cheers

#2 Edited by onarum (1989 posts) -

you would need some sort of receiver to plug in the audio from the 360, then from the receiver you can output audio to a sound system or headphones.

Alternatively you can get one of those ace bayou gaming X-rocker chairs, they have a built in 2.1 sound system that you can plug your 360 directly to, I have a X-rocker II that I use with my ps3 and the sound quality is pretty effin awesome, also the sub woofer is built to the back of the chair, so when you set the bass to max you can feel the vibrations on your whole body when there's a big explosion or something like that, it's pretty sweet.

#3 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

Connect your monitor with HDMI and your Speakers with the red/white audio cables, I had to get an adapter R/L audio -> speakers jack.

#4 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

My monitor has a 3.5mm connector on the back, which was important for me when I looked for it. That's how I do it.

#5 Posted by onarum (1989 posts) -
@Azteck said:
My monitor has a 3.5mm connector on the back, which was important for me when I looked for it. That's how I do it.
his monitor doesn't have built in speakers.

and yes, one of those stereo R/L Y adapters could do the trick as well.
#6 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

With this. composite goes to cheap pc speakers or something.

#7 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

Also , you will have to take off the plastic cover from the R/L cable that you plug into your 360 , if you have an old white Xbox you cant connect R/L sound + HDMI together without taking off the plastic.

#8 Edited by Henrikhoe (198 posts) -

God, sorry guys, im not that technical. 

To clarify. My monitor has 2 hdmi inputs and one 3,5 mm audio out on the back of the monitor. 
Even though it doesnt have internal speakers, the included remote does have a volume up and down button, i guess that has something to do with the audio out on the back of the monitor. 

Also, heres whats included in my 2.1 setup. If someone could explain in babysteps i would be so grateful 

http://www.gc-plus.de/bin/sl-8221_quick_install_guide.pdf

#9 Edited by Liber (648 posts) -

EDIT: that the guy below said.

#10 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -
@Henrikhoe said:

To clarify. My monitor has 2 hdmi inputs and one 3,5 mm audio out on the back of the monitor. 
Even though it doesnt have internal speakers, the included remote does have a volume up and down button, i guess that has something to do with the audio out on the back of the monitor. 

Also, heres whats included in my 2.1 setup. If someone could explain in babysteps i would be so grateful 

Just put your speakers into the audio-out!?
#11 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

@mnzy said:

@Henrikhoe said:

Just put your speakers into the audio-out!?

This.

ignore my post above.

#12 Posted by onarum (1989 posts) -
@Henrikhoe said:

well.... is there's an audio out it must be passing the sound from the HDMI through, so just plug in your 2.1 sound system or headphones to that audio out and it should work.
#13 Posted by Henrikhoe (198 posts) -

Wow, guys thank you so much 

Im pretty stupid it seems. 

Thanks alot <3 so happy right now

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.