Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Controller Play & Charge kit problems

• 52 results
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Ever since setting up xbox live about a week ago, my wireless xbox 360 controller has been playing up. I use the play and charge kit to charge the battery, and whenever I connect it the red charging light comes on for about 5 seconds, before being replaced by the green charged light. But the battery isn't charged. When I disconnect the charger cable, it works for about 10 seconds before cutting out because it has run out of power. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know how to fix it. It Kinda defeats the point of having a wireless controller if it has to be plugged into the xbox whenever I want to use it.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By suneku

That's exactly the same problem I had. Maybe you're battery is loose so try to tighten it. I got it to work again for a while but then I got the same problem again after like a day so I'm still trying to figure it out. It could be the battery got charged to death.

TheNumber42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheNumber42

I'm having this problem on both of my wireless controllers, with both of my play and charge kits... strange. I find it unlikely that they would both break at the same time.

elektrixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 41

#4  Edited By elektrixx

This exact thing happened to my secondary controller. It works perfectly on my main pad, and after swapping the batteries I've come to the conclusion that there's an issue with the connections in the controller.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Well I emailed Xbox customer support and got this reply:
    "

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for using XBOX Customer Support! I am Kody, and I will be helping you today with this issue.

As I understand it, the Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack does not charge when you connect the Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit to the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller.

I know how disappointing it is when an essential Xbox accessory does not seem to work properly Please be assured that I will do my best to help you resolve the issue.

Matthew, here are some things that you can try to resolve the issue or to determine what the cause is. If you are having difficulties trouble shooting the issue, please contact Xbox Customer Support at the number indicated below.

This behavior can occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

.    The battery has reached the charge limit.
    .    There may be an issue with the charge cable.
    .    There may be an issue with the battery.

Things to try:

1. Determine the part of the recharging system that may be causing the issue.

Controller
    Try AA batteries or try a different Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack in the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller to verify that there is nothing wrong with the controller. If the controller works with different batteries, the controller is not causing the issue.

Charge cable
    Try a different Xbox 360 Play and Charge cable to charge the battery. If the battery charges correctly with a different charge cable, the original charge cable is faulty.

Rechargeable battery

a. Use a cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol to clean the four gold contacts on the Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack and on the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller.

b. Try a different Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack with the charge cable. If the second battery charges correctly, the original battery is faulty.

2. Replace or exchange the faulty part.

Do not try to disassemble, service, or modify the Xbox 360 console, the power supply, or any accessories. If you do this, you may put yourself at risk of serious injury or death from electric shock or fire. Such actions will also void your warranty.

You may also choose to call Xbox Phone Support.

For US and Canada customers, you may call Xbox Customer Service at 1-800-469-9269 at your earliest convenience, and we'll be happy to help you. We are open everyday from 6am to 10pn US Pacific Time.

For international customers, please contact Xbox Customer Service in your local region. (To find the correct Customer Service number for your region first use this link http://www.xbox.com/en-US/ to select the appropriate country and then use the contact number found under the support menu). You may also choose to call international assistance (direct dial to the US) by dialing 425-635-7180.

To expedite service, please provide Service Request Number 1077609877 when you call.

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, please be sure to revisit our Web site as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Best Regards,

Kody

Microsoft XBOX Support Services

http://support.microsoft.com/

I tried using AA batteries in it like they said, and it worked fine, so its not the controller. I couldn't try a new rechargable battery pack or cable because I don't have one. and I tried using isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts, and it still doesn't work. So, it looks like either the battery or the cable is broken.

esq3585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By esq3585

I have the same problem , bought 2 charge kits and a spare official controller when buying a premium and both charge kits work with the controller that came with the premium kit controller i bought but both kits and batteries dont work with the spare official controller, had the controller replaced and still having the problem with the spare official controller, gave the connections inside it a press in and out and seemed to charge ok once, but since trying to charge the second time having bother again.
    Seems to be controller related in my case, the official spare controller is slightly different numbered inside as if it is a newer batch number.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DoctorTran

Plug it into your computer at night.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I had this problem sometimes, but it seems to work now, although the light on the charger is practically useless.  It's pretty much on-and-off.

TH3DOCTOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TH3DOCTOR

Hello everybody I just joined the forum to let you guys know how to solve this problem (well it worked for me so sorry in advance if it does not work for you) First the machine is the black elite model with the 120 HD, I had not played for around a month and when I came to use the controller again it was completely dead! So on went the trusty play and charge kit (black elite version), light went red, as normal 10 later it was green????? Unplugged the cable controller died! Sound familiar? I cleaned all contacts as per shitecrosofts instructions no luck there.

Then by accident I stumbled uncross a method to get it charging again I think it just gets confused! First insert the play and charge kit a little way in just enough to make a contact but not enough to click into place - light goes red - when light goes green slide it out a bit so the green light on the play and charge kit goes out - The green light on the controller should stay on, count to 2 in you head then slide it back in again like before. As soon as the light goes green to tell you its charged slide it back out again I had to do this 3 - 4 times then as if by magic the light just stayed red and carried on charging, its still on now (been 20 minutes) and seams to be charging normally!

I  am very interested to know if this works for any of you guys out there, let me know how you get on and I will do the same - fingers crossed:)

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By suneku
    TH3DOCTOR said:
    "Hello everybody I just joined the forum to let you guys know how to solve this problem (well it worked for me so sorry in advance if it does not work for you) First the machine is the black elite model with the 120 HD, I had not played for around a month and when I came to use the controller again it was completely dead! So on went the trusty play and charge kit (black elite version), light went red, as normal 10 later it was green????? Unplugged the cable controller died! Sound familiar? I cleaned all contacts as per shitecrosofts instructions no luck there.

Then by accident I stumbled uncross a method to get it charging again I think it just gets confused! First insert the play and charge kit a little way in just enough to make a contact but not enough to click into place - light goes red - when light goes green slide it out a bit so the green light on the play and charge kit goes out - The green light on the controller should stay on, count to 2 in you head then slide it back in again like before. As soon as the light goes green to tell you its charged slide it back out again I had to do this 3 - 4 times then as if by magic the light just stayed red and carried on charging, its still on now (been 20 minutes) and seams to be charging normally!

I  am very interested to know if this works for any of you guys out there, let me know how you get on and I will do the same - fingers crossed:)
    "

holy crap, this method worked for me... I can't believe I missed this post. I was googling for an answer and saw the thread show up.. decided to check it out and good thing I did.
    jchausse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jchausse

Well, I'll be danged.  That totally worked.  I had TWO Play & Charge kits that refused to charge, and TH3DOCTOR's advice worked perfectly.  I didn't have to plug it "a little way in" at first - I could plug it all the way in, but after that the instructions worked perfectly.  The first one only took one "plug-unplug" cycle, the second took 3 or 4.  Then the light finally turned and stayed red and charged all night.

I wonder if this has anything to do with ignoring Microsoft's advice about letting the pack charge for a long time for the very first use.   I willfully ignored that, but didn't think it would screw things up THAT much.

Thanks, TH3DOCTOR!

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Wolverine

I don't know man, that sucks.

dld2517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dld2517

Thank you TH3DOCTOR... that WORKED LIKE AWESOME!  I was so racking my brain.. and I was so pissed at Microsoft because I had just gotten my repaired XBOX back and I could not play it.

GRRR

But you saved my day!

Thanks!
    RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By RandomHero666

i got a black battery for my elite controller, its always been a bit of a tight fit but lately iv had to have it plugged in whenever i play, the red light comes on for 5 seconds then goes off, no green light at all.

DrTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrTesla

I also just got a black battery pack for my elite controller and experienced the same problem; the red light would turn green after a few seconds. I kept disconnecting and reconnecting the cable every time the light turned green, until it stayed red. The controller seems to be charging normally now.

DrTesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DrTesla

Update: I couldn't use the method I used above to charge the controller anymore. If anyone is experiencing the same problem it is due to a defective battery, do yourselves a favor and just return the battery to the store you bought it from for a replacement, or call microsoft for a replacement if the store won't accept it.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Did somebody hit the F5 key for an hour or something? lmao

SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SUBL1ME

I had a problem similar to that so I just bought a new battery instead. Then that battery had a problem where if i didn't play within the next 24-48 hours it would completely lose its charge, a brand new battery. Then I bought the Red/Black limited edition controller and that controllers battery is the weirdest, I have to leave the console on for 8 hours straight to fully charge it. If I unplug it before its fully charged no matter how long it was on it will think its 100% charged and not let it charge any further even after a few seconds. This happens immediately after I turn the console off too so it removes the ability to charge the controller while the console is turned off.

It seems like every battery pack I or controller I buy has a different set of weird issues. I might as well use real batteries because aside from replacing them every so often and buying new ones they last much much longer and don't have all the frustrating problems.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Azteck

I have that too. But here's the thing;

I have one white and one black controller, and the rechargeable battery is for the white controller. If I try charging it with the battery in the white controller, it doesn't work. However, if I charge it with the battery in the black controller there's not problem.

So I have no clue what's wrong, the battery or the controller.

I should also mention that I can use AA's without problems on the white one.

ZeroCorpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZeroCorpse

I signed up JUST to say that 
    TH3DOCTOR
    is awesome. 

That trick worked! I've been trying to get this thing to charge again for a while now. I even bought a new battery and new P&C cable... Nothing worked.

Then I see this trick, and after about 7 tries, it worked.

Well... SO far.

Thanks, man!  You should post this at XBox.com and demand the mods make a sticky.

agraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By agraham

On more props for TH3DOCTOR. I thought I'd have to return another battery pack because they never charge for more than five seconds.
    The solution for me was actually even simpler than doctor wrote: 
    1. Plug charge cable in, without battery. 
    2. Plug in battery, but not till it clicks.. Charge light turns red. Charge light turns green. 
    3. Pull out battery. 
    4. Plug in battery. 

Done! It's been charging for an hour now.
    Justpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Justpan

Hello I just joined up to say thank you to   TH3DOCTOR for that amazing tip! :D Working like a charm now and its something I would have never even thought of doing! Thank for you saving me a trip back to the store! 
    Further info for more google travellers: 

Model was a Black 120GB Elite (early model) 
    With the bundled black wireless controller . 
    Charged up the battery once but was unable to recharge a month on. 

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By nanikore

Yes, we all love TH3DOCTOR.

souperM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By souperM

TH3DOCTOR. Thanks. Seriously. Don't know why i have to use a workaround but finally I can put my stand alone charger away.

mashimaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mashimaro
    TH3DOCTOR 's method totally works. It took me about 10-12 attempts before my controller started charging, but  now it's like new. 

Thank you  TH3DOCTOR.

Sinatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Sinatra

I have been having the same problem, I just leave it plugged up for atleast two days of me playing the 360 and I find that works best for me. 

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Wolverine
    @MattyFTM: I think you might have to replace the rechargeable battery. It might have died on you.
    kev18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kev18

Hey My light wont even turn on!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

AllYeRmAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AllYeRmAs
    @TH3DOCTOR: Thanks you absolute legend!!! I've had this problem for ages now, but I did as you instructed and it has worked! The controller has been charging now for half an hour or so. Let's hope it stays charged when I take the cable out...
    Reaper1442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Reaper1442

I have another charger question i was wondering about. my charger has recently stopped working all together, and when it is plugged into the xbox console it disrupts the other devices plugged in. Does anyone know of a way to fix it?

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Green_Incarnate

This happened to me a couple times when I dropped my controller. I continued playing with it plugged in, and after a few weeks it eventually fixed itself.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#32  Edited By TobyD81

Do you have an old rechargeable battery? They only go through so many charge/discharge cycles before they stop holding a charge. If you've been using that battery for a few years it might be at the end of its life cycle. Get a new permanent replacement and it'll be fine. I'm using a Nyko battery in mine and it works well with the regular charge cable.

by7antine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By by7antine

Had this same problem with a cordless tool once.  I ran the battery so low in voltage that the charger wanted to call the battery defective.  I force fed the battery a bit then the charger was fine with it.

I think the same thing is going on here.  The controller will let you discharge the batter so low that when you plug into power the charge circuit wants to call it a defective battery.  Use TH3DOCTOR's method to force feed the battery up to its minimum 'acceptable' voltage level and then the circuitry will call it OK and keep on going.

TobyD81 is right, an old dead battery is an old dead battery.  But my battery will run for 3 days of 8 hour sessions before needing recharge.  In this case I would call it a design failure of the controller circuitry that allows the battery to be discharged bellow the critical threshold required for recharging in the same controler.

xavfin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xavfin

I too was having some extraordinary problems with my brand new X360 S and Play & Charge kit. But TH3DOCTOR's method put me in the right track, thanks!

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By OmegaPirate

Kerbumping for a second, i have this issue, gonna give it a try 

Longxinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Longxinus

I fuckin' love you so hard, TH3DOCTOR.

I've had this problem way too many times with many of my battery packs. I've had to return two of them to the store. :C

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#37  Edited By the8bitNacho

So many 1 post dudes in this thread.

Vigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vigil

I have experienced the same issues i wound up just buying a new battery and charger, my experience with all of the 360 accessories has been shitty at best.

K_MEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By K_MEGA

Well butter my buns and call me a biscuit,... I cannot believe that actually worked!!!  I thought it was a load of crap but gave it a try because I had no other options. My Rocketfish charge kit took on the first attempt with an original controller.  Unfortunately  this method didnt work with the 360 slim controller, so I tried with an original controller and after 3 attempts it worked. "TH3 DOCTOR" you just saved me a trip to GAMESTOP,... in the snow, THX!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @K_MEGA: I hope it keeps working for ya. Mine had a slow burn all of the way to the point that this trick no longer works.  :(
    livtaride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By livtaride

My red light did not come on at all. The green light on the cable would flash as I inserted the cable into the controller. I just brushed the contacts on the battery with a wire brush and it works fine now.
    MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MudMan

So, beyond the props for the grandma's trick to fix this, what have we learned? 

The play and charge kit is so dumb that if it drains completely whatever system it uses to know whether a battery is actually plugged in or not fails. The battery is fine, the cable is fine, the controller is fine. They just designed it so that the electrical charge in the battery is required to let the cable know the battery is empty. 

How dumb is that?  

They could have built a pin into it so that removable batteries wouldn't have triggered it but a charge kit would, a mechanical device that wouldn't fail if the battery is fully drained.  

Oh, well, it's working now. Thanks for the tip.

julianhall1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By julianhall1983

Yet another "1 post dude" signing up to say thanks.

This is the third (maybe 4th) Play and Charge kit i've had this issue with. Earlier this year i had a ridiculously long instant message conversation with Xbox "Support", who slagged Amazon off, and basically told me i had to keep buying new ones until i found one that wasn't broken.

Then after not using my console for a while, the problem comes back. I was gutted, until i found this thread.

Thank you.

James_E_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also just joined to say thanks for the post - I can't believe something so brutish like plugging the charge cable in and out a few times worked, but it did!

KMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi. I had a charge problem too, first i tried several solutions with my boyfriend and finally we solved it. We poured some vinegar into a bowl and put on the battery pack of my controller, i wait like 15 minutes and dried the battery pack with a tissue, after this my controller turn on. Hope this help you. Sorry my english...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi. I had a charge problem too, first i tried several solutions with my boyfriend and finally we solved it. We poured some vinegar into a bowl and put on the battery pack of my controller, i wait like 15 minutes and dried the battery pack with a tissue, after this my controller turn on. Hope this help you. Sorry my english...

Dear anyone in the future: Do not use vinegar to clean your electronics. You risk damaging the hell out of them. If you absolutely have to use some sort of solvent, use rubbing alcohol. Also never submerge anything containing a battery.

KaiyoriaChi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so i bought the '360 quick charger' (charge dock) and 2 chargeable battery packs (1Nyko,1Roketfish) it wasn't working at all I would get both green lights for 1 sec and then nothing.I tried what TH3DOCTOR said but didn't work for my problem. So I thought I'd see if it was the batteries or the charge dock. I put the battery packs in my controller & plugged my 'play n charge' wire in and the batteries started working!(Yay) Then I plugged the batteries back in the charge dock & they started working there as well(double yay)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Play and charge kits are the WORST. Buy the actual charging dock. I've found that the play n' charge kits do nothing but fuck batteries up in the long run.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Man, this thing STILL keeps getting bumped by people finding it through Google.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.